guest account locked, no idea why?

valymark

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

New here and desperate...
I just bought a new LG V500 8.3 tablet with V4.4.2 Android.
Apart from the main account i also created a guest account: everything worked perfectly.
On the main screen I could login with different passwords etc.
Since yesterday I suddenly cannot access my guest account anymore, only the welcome screen for the mains account is shown when I turn the tablet on...

In the setup menu, users> my guest account is now in grey and I cannot click it anymore.
On the top of the page it reads: "Guest accounts are currently locked due to activation of Mobile Device Management"
However I cannot remember that I activated any Mobile device management.

Maybe one thing to mention: I recently setup a microsoft exchange account to receive the emails from my work.
I don't know if this can be the reason or not. I cannot remember if the guest account was locked just after setting up that exchange account...

I hope you guys can help me on this...

Thanks in advance!!!
Mark

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

New here and desperate...
I just bought a new LG V500 8.3 tablet with V4.4.2 Android.
Apart from the main account i also created a guest account: everything worked perfectly.
On the main screen I could login with different passwords etc.
Since yesterday I suddenly cannot access my guest account anymore, only the welcome screen for the mains account is shown when I turn the tablet on...

In the setup menu, users> my guest account is now in grey and I cannot click it anymore.
On the top of the page it reads: "Guest accounts are currently locked due to activation of Mobile Device Management"
However I cannot remember that I activated any Mobile device management.

Maybe one thing to mention: I recently setup a microsoft exchange account to receive the emails from my work.
I don't know if this can be the reason or not. I cannot remember if the guest account was locked just after setting up that exchange account...

I hope you guys can help me on this...

Thanks in advance!!!
Mark

oops... are you sure you are experiencing this issue over your Android device ? I just don't get that this error pops up for the iOS device and in Android I can't guess what's happening I still think that this error appears for the iOS devices not for the Android. I don't know ............. I guess maybe Google has made some !! or LG has !! have you tried contacting with the LG customer support I think they will be the one who can help you best in getting out of this problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's the Exchange account. I'm betting this is a corporate account, right? Most companies now are enforcing certain mobile policies in order to get your account working on your device (since this is your device and not theirs, it's how they can force security measures to keep your data as private as possible in case of a lost device or theft). Some of these policies include having a secure lockscreen (so the option to have no lockscreen or a slide-to-unlock one are disabled) or having non secure accounts, such as a Guest one, active on the device.

You can disable these policies if you go to your device's Security Settings, in the "Device Administration" Section you'll find "Device Administrators". If you go there, you'll see a list of the services that can enforce security policies onto your device; you should see "E-Mail" there. If you want your Guest account back, just disable "E-Mail"; bear in mind, however, that doing so will result in your Exchange account being deleted from your device as it cannot be active in it without the security policy being active.

PS: When you add the Exchange account, a pop-up warning clearly states that these policies will be activated. We're just not used to reading these in full and just click 'Next' ;)

valymark

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi SpookDroid!

Mmmmm, your explanation makes sense to me.
But before I remove the exchange account I will check with the company if they are willing to make a workaround for me.
I will let you know the results.

THANKS a lot, at least I know now in what direction I should look...:)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help :)

I'm just curious, did you get your company's approval to use the e-mail without a 'secure' environment or did you have to relinquish using your corporate e-mail in your device?

valymark

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad I could help :)

I'm just curious, did you get your company's approval to use the e-mail without a 'secure' environment or did you have to relinquish using your corporate e-mail in your device?

I checked the LONG list of things that were not possible anymore with the exchange account installed and quickly decided to give up.
As a rather small company (25 people) our informatics is managed by an external company, I guess they use maximum security to be on the safe side...
I did not even contact them to see what could be done, instead I now use the outlook web app (OWA): not so convenient but it works.
B Regards,
Mark

valymark

May 14, 2014
Visit site