Help on my first android phone purchase?

Sekai_Index

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the same Windows Phone 7.8 phone for about 3 years now and it's pretty much dying on me and so I'm in the market for a new phone.

I've been debating between the HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5.

So far I've come to the conclusion:

-M8-
+Metallic build (My current phone is the Samsung Omnia 7 which is also metallic and I like the feel)
+Speakers
+Faster UI
-No hardware buttons
-Wasted screen space

-S5-
+Bigger screen
+Hardware buttons
+Removable battery
-Speakers
-Bloatware

Debatable: Camera. The images I've seen taken with the M8 seem to have better color and lighting, while the S5's images seem to look better if you zoom in and such due to 16 megapixels vs 4 ultrapixels.

I've heard that there are Google Play editions phones that come with stock android.
Is it possible to install stock android over TouchWiz/Sense ?
I also heard about Cyanogenmod which seems pretty good.

Which of these phones would you recommend? Is the bigger screen on the S5 that much better?

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the same Windows Phone 7.8 phone for about 3 years now and it's pretty much dying on me and so I'm in the market for a new phone.

-M8-
+Metallic build (My current phone is the Samsung Omnia 7 which is also metallic and I like the feel)
+Speakers
+Faster UI
-No hardware buttons
-Wasted screen space

-S5-
+Bigger screen
+Hardware buttons
+Removable battery
-Speakers
-Bloatware

Debatable: Camera. The images I've seen taken with the M8 seem to have better color and lighting, while the S5's images seem to look better if you zoom in and such due to 16 megapixels vs 4 ultrapixels.

I've heard that there are Google Play editions phones that come with stock android.

Which of these phones would you recommend? Is the bigger screen on the S5 that much better?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums. I am curious what you mean by wasted screen space for the M8?

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Warning: Opinions follow

If you have to go Android, go with the M8. Samsung can't make a device feel high quality to save their lives. Even their fake leather back just further cheapens their Fisher Price device. That said, if you want a PREMIUM android device, always go with LG or try one of the new guys like the Oneplus One or the Oppo Find series.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

-M8-
+Speakers
+Faster UI
-No hardware buttons
-Wasted screen space

-S5-
+Bigger screen
+Hardware buttons
+Removable battery
-Speakers
-Bloatware

Thanks.
Neither of those would be at the top of my list. But if I had to choose, I'd probably choose the S5. Best display of any phone so far, has a better camera, and removable (upgradable) battery.

The only advantage of the M8 is the stereo speakers (and I guess the metal case, which a lot of people seem to like). Neither UI is fast IMO, but I have a Nexus, so maybe I am just spoiled.

The M8 does not have a better camera in any way IMO. It's not just the low MP...the quality is lacking as well. M8 tends to have washed out images from what I have seen.
HTC vs Nexus 1.jpg

Yes, but it is not easy. You will have to unlock it and root it. But because of the fact that both phones have GPE devices, it means you will not have to worry about bugs and compatibility issues, which are a pain for a lot of other phones if you try to install stock ROMs on them.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My real recommendation is the Nexus 5, One+1, or LG G3. Those are better choices than either of these phones IMO.

I might even include the Moto X as well.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Neither of those would be at the top of my list. But if I had to choose, I'd probably choose the S5. Best display of any phone so far, has a better camera, and removable (upgradable) battery.

The only advantage of the M8 is the stereo speakers (and I guess the metal case, which a lot of people seem to like). Neither UI is fast IMO, but I have a Nexus, so maybe I am just spoiled.

The M8 does not have a better camera in any way IMO. It's not just the low MP...the quality is lacking as well. M8 tends to have washed out images from what I have seen.
View attachment 118583

Yes, but it is not easy. You will have to unlock it and root it. But because of the fact that both phones have GPE devices, it means you will not have to worry about bugs and compatibility issues, which are a pain for a lot of other phones if you try to install stock ROMs on them.

I'd argue that "Best Display" statement as AMOLED screens don't have accurate color reproductions. That said, the blacks look great.

Sekai_Index

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My real recommendation is the Nexus 5, One+1, or LG G3. Those are better choices than either of these phones IMO.

I might even include the Moto X as well.

Woah, the LG G3 looks pretty good.
Alright, I've expanded my horizons.

I'm now looking at OnePlus One and LG G3.

Welcome to the forums. I am curious what you mean by wasted screen space for the M8?

I find the bottom of the phone, right above the speakers where the HTC logo is could be used for hardware buttons. I read that there is a reason for that though.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Woah, the LG G3 looks pretty good.
Alright, I've expanded my horizons.

I'm now looking at OnePlus One and LG G3.

I find the bottom of the phone, right above the speakers where the HTC logo is could be used for hardware buttons. I read that there is a reason for that though.

If at all possible, get the Oneplus One. I'm a Windows Phone user but that almost makes me forget that.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd argue that "Best Display" statement as AMOLED screens don't have accurate color reproductions.

You would think so...but...

DisplayMate did its usual through job analyzing the display on the Samsung Galaxy S5, and came away calling it "the best performing smartphone display that we have ever tested". The screen was cited for its brightness, color accuracy, contrast ratio and more.

DisplayMate: Samsung Galaxy S5 has the "best performing smartphone display that we ever tested"
This is not your father's AMOLED.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You would think so...but...

This is not your father's AMOLED.

DisplayMate also hardly tests any screens. They pretty much do the Galaxy Series, iPhones, and the HTC One as of late. They only go for the big sellers. I'd like to see an unbiased screen comparison next to the 1520.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
DisplayMate also hardly tests any screens. They pretty much do the Galaxy Series, iPhones, and the HTC One as of late.
Exactly...the S5 is better than all those in their opinion.

In any event, they give very specific details in all the tests. Like numbers, not just vague opinions. Thats why their findings matter. They are objective.

They only go for the big sellers. I'd like to see an unbiased screen comparison next to the 1520.
When you find someone who have given an unbiased review of the 1520, post it here. Till then, I am willing to defer to Displaymate...they are as close to experts as I have seen so far.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I do not think either the S5 or M8 are your best options. I would get a G2, Nexus 5, or Moto X. In that order. The spec differences between the G2/Nexus 5 and the S5 and M8 are negligible.

Posted via Android Central App

heyjohnnybravo

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Warning: Opinions follow

If you have to go Android, go with the M8. Samsung can't make a device feel high quality to save their lives. Even their fake leather back just further cheapens their Fisher Price device. That said, if you want a PREMIUM android device, always go with LG or try one of the new guys like the Oneplus One or the Oppo Find series.

My Note 3 feels better in hand than my M8 since the leather back isn't cold and slippery but the M8 does look might sexy.

But to the OP: M8 > S5

Posted from my TARDIS!

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
None of the above.

Nexus 5, if you have to buy Now. LG G3, Moto X+1 are both soon(tm)

Any of those, would be better in MY opinion. I know many other samsung fanboys that would disagree.
If those 2 were my ONLY 2 choices, I would go HTC.

But, if I had to have a samsung phone, it would be a Note 3. Samsungs best work ever.

Don't let aluminum be a deciding factor. you drop an M8 and it dents permanently, plastic give/bends.
Aluminum won't stop the screen from breaking.