Noob tips, tricks and other things.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm new to Android Central! I had an Android a few years back, an Iphone after(I regret that decision) and a blackberry before my contract ran out...I've actually been a BB loyalist for a while, but now I see it time to jump ship( more or less abandon ship ).
In about 2 days when my phone is due for it's upgrade, I'm switching over to the HTC one M8 and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and shortcuts and other cool things to improve battery life, etc etc. And whatever else you may recommend for a new user.
I'm currently on a Chromebook, so at least I have a small lick of what the google play store will offer, etc. So if you guys in the community would be kind to offer any tips(minus launchers, I actually like the HTC UI) that would be great!

And since I'm new, I'd like some tips from the veterans as to what I could do to serve the website/forums a little better than being someone who banters relentlessly or pops up every once in a while. I'd like to be a contributor in ways that could help :)

P.S sorry if I posted this in the entirely wrong section, So move it to wherever it seems fitting!
And sorry for the TL;DR post :cool:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm new to Android Central! I had an Android a few years back, an Iphone after(I regret that decision) and a blackberry before my contract ran out...I've actually been a BB loyalist for a while, but now I see it time to jump ship( more or less abandon ship ).
In about 2 days when my phone is due for it's upgrade, I'm switching over to the HTC one M8 and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and shortcuts and other cool things to improve battery life, etc etc. And whatever else you may recommend for a new user.
I'm currently on a Chromebook, so at least I have a small lick of what the google play store will offer, etc. So if you guys in the community would be kind to offer any tips(minus launchers, I actually like the HTC UI) that would be great!

And since I'm new, I'd like some tips from the veterans as to what I could do to serve the website/forums a little better than being someone who banters relentlessly or pops up every once in a while. I'd like to be a contributor in ways that could help :)

P.S sorry if I posted this in the entirely wrong section, So move it to wherever it seems fitting!
And sorry for the TL;DR post :cool:

Well, welcome to the forums, and back to Android. I have an M8, and I the only things I have turned off were NFC, and turned Location reporting down to battery saving. Other than that my battery lasts 12 to 14 hours easily using 70% of my battery (I habitually recharge at about 30% remaining).

Edit: almost forgot to say that it did take nearly a week (as in 6 days, to be more precise) of regular charging before my battery got in the swing of things. Just so you are aware.

I know you said already that you have been with Android, but there have been many changes to the OS. Even though these are more directed at new OS users, it still may help for someone who has been away from the OS for a while:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...i-intro-homescreens-settings.html#post3413064
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...4-part-ii-installing-apps-managing-media.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

As for forums rules and such, you may refer to the links in my Signature, but basically, be polite, and make sure your posts are helpful. If you want to ensure people seeing your replies, you can use the 'Reply with Quote' button, and type your reply after the last Quote that is in brackets.

Have you said hello to the community in general? Create your own thread and say Hi!: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, welcome to the forums, and back to Android. I have an M8, and I the only things I have turned off were NFC, and turned Location reporting down to battery saving. Other than that my battery lasts 12 to 14 hours easily using 70% of my battery (I habitually recharge at about 30% remaining).

Edit: almost forgot to say that it did take nearly a week (as in 6 days, to be more precise) of regular charging before my battery got in the swing of things. Just so you are aware.

I know you said already that you have been with Android, but there have been many changes to the OS. Even though these are more directed at new OS users, it still may help for someone who has been away from the OS for a while:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...i-intro-homescreens-settings.html#post3413064
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...4-part-ii-installing-apps-managing-media.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

As for forums rules and such, you may refer to the links in my Signature, but basically, be polite, and make sure your posts are helpful. If you want to ensure people seeing your replies, you can use the 'Reply with Quote' button, and type your reply after the last Quote that is in brackets.

Have you said hello to the community in general? Create your own thread and say Hi!: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Thanks for your tips and advice!
Due to sad circumstances, I'll be getting a galaxy S5 instead :( I had some left over college dough saved up for the M8 while it was on sale for 149, but now the sale switched to a different phone.
I'm sad, but I figured they are both the same phone anyways, other than UI, and well, anything will beat my blackberry so I'm not one to complain. :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your tips and advice!
Due to sad circumstances, I'll be getting a galaxy S5 instead :( I had some left over college dough saved up for the M8 while it was on sale for 149, but now the sale switched to a different phone.
I'm sad, but I figured they are both the same phone anyways, other than UI, and well, anything will beat my blackberry so I'm not one to complain. :D

Either way, welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy the new device. When are you getting it?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
quick word of caution: If you sync your google acct with the g5 and chromebook and the g5 has TW and carrier ware on it you will end up with a ****ton of duplicative apps and widgets. Tread slowly and load only what you have to have on the g5 and work from there. You can also use google play to direct apps to individual devices to minimize the duplication..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21