Need your expert advice about choosing a phone s3 in 2014???

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm currently using a virgin mobile iPhone 4s. I am wanting to switch back to android because let's face it... It's a hundred times better.

Well I need to decide whether to buy a brand new S3 from VM for $220 or if I should buy a used in like new condition s4 for around $330 and switch to straight talk.

Obviously the s4 is a better phone but is it worth enough to spend the extra $100 and change cell company's? I guess I'm worried about the level of support it will continue to receive, and I won't be able to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years.

I'm really kicking my self for spending $500 on a iPhone that I could have been saving for their new s5!

So what do you guys think? Would I be just as happy with a s3 as a 4? Coming from a iPhone 4s will I be happy with the speed of the s3?

Just don't want to make the wrong choice and be unhappy for the next two years and you guys are so knowledgable about this stuff.

Thank you all

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In short, no. It's not enough of an upgrade to justify it. However, if you're switching into Android, I'd suggest a pure Android device like the Google Nexus 5 or something like the Oneplus One.

Going with a Galaxy device, you'll get extreme lag and inconsistencies that aren't characteristic of Android. By default, Android is a bit laggy but Touchwiz just bogs it down awfully.

You could even get something like the Moto X or an LG G2, still just so much better.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm currently using a virgin mobile iPhone 4s. I am wanting to switch back to android because let's face it... It's a hundred times better.

Well I need to decide whether to buy a brand new S3 from VM for $220 or if I should buy a used in like new condition s4 for around $330 and switch to straight talk.

Obviously the s4 is a better phone but is it worth enough to spend the extra $100 and change cell company's? I guess I'm worried about the level of support it will continue to receive, and I won't be able to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years.

I'm really kicking my self for spending $500 on a iPhone that I could have been saving for their new s5!

So what do you guys think? Would I be just as happy with a s3 as a 4? Coming from a iPhone 4s will I be happy with the speed of the s3?

Just don't want to make the wrong choice and be unhappy for the next two years and you guys are so knowledgable about this stuff.

Thank you all

The S3 is still a very capable phone, but as for speed improvements and better camera and the latest Os, then perhaps the S4 is the way to go and yes $100 more is worth it considering you will be getting decent specs and improved camera, along with a few other gimmicks that you may or may not find useful.

There are alternatives such as the..

LG G2 or perhaps the Nexus 5 or Moto X.

I will mention the one +1 but as of yet it's not available outside an invite system. But will be worth perhaps waiting for.

The choice is yours, have a look around and see what fits in terms of what you require and read a few reviews and compare.

Hope this helps.

The One plus is $300 for the 16gb variant and $350 for the 64gb I think if my memory serves me well.

Posted via Android Central App

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Quick replies!! Thank you all. I'm playing with my husbands s3 and it is a great phone. The speed Isn't totally important as it runs plenty quick enough and I find It to be about the same speeds as on my iphone probably because I'm usually on wifi ( oh the life of a stay at home mom) I'm mostly using my phone to browse Instagram and Facebook listen to pandora and watch tv shows and take pictures of my daughter.
His S3 blows my iPhone 4s out of the water when it comes to speed though when using cell data. Even over 3G it loads my Instagram WAY faster. I'm kind of concerned about the kitkat update though. Using virgin mobile and it still hasn't been pushed to his phone. I'm a woman and I need emojiis lol

Would love more opinions. Thanks again guys. You're extremely helpful.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Basically I just want to know. Will I be happy with a s3 for two more years. I left android after having two VERY low end devices that literally held like 4 apps. So when I got my iphone it was amazing. Well after playing with the s3 I feel like there is just so much more I can do. Will the s3 provide me with a fun platform to surf play candy crush and browse Instagram for a couple years or am I gonna shoot myself in the foot after a year. I hate to switch service providers and saving $100 would be great that's $100 to throw in my kids college fun ya know?
Also the s4 would be a used phone from ebay. Anyone have a good experience buying used? I'd be buying a s3 directly from virgin mobile. I know you can't really be picky when using prepaid
Man. Why couldnt I have just won one of the s5's virgin gave away ?!?!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Will I be happy with a s3?

Ok. My first android phones were horrible. Literally crashed all the time and held like 4 apps. So I moved to iphone

Flash forward to now and my hubby got a s3 last august. I'm wanting to get one now but not sure if I should get the 3 or spend the extra $100 for the 4. All I do is Facebook Instagram browse the web, and take pics of my kiddo. Would a 3 get me by for the next 2 years? I'd be getting it from virgin mobile for $220. Most of the features of the 4 seem like something that would be cool for a week and then never used again.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will I be happy with a s3?

The Virgin Mobile S3 is a Sprint model but I would suggest an Unlocked GSM Moto G with Solavei. Me and my wife were with VM for afew years before finding Solavei(T-Mobile pre-paid service) and are alot happier with the service. Unless your in one of the few developed Sprint Spark areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if I would pay that much money for a phone that's two generations behind and mostly obsolete. I still use the S3, I got it for $99 at Best Buy in like July of 2012 I think, a couple months after it came out. The S4 and S5 are already out. At this late point in the phone's life, you're probably getting an Asurion (insurance) reject, so it was probably someone else's phone that broke and they turned in. I think for that kind of money you can get something a lot newer?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

So $220 for the S3, $320 for the S4. The Nexus 5 is $349 on Play. I would say get the N5 instead.

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

But based on the OPs stated usage the N5 is major overkill. The Moto G would do everything needed and cost nearly half the price with alot more battery life to boot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

But based on the OPs stated usage the N5 is major overkill. The Moto G would do everything needed and cost nearly half the price with alot more battery life to boot.

So would the S4.
Edit: if trying to save money, the OP can get the Moto E.

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Thanks guys. It's not that I'm really looking for an upgrade to my current 4s , it is plenty Of phone and plenty fast enough, I'm just looking to get back into android so that I can swap batteries while at the zoo with my kid, take video without dear if filling up my internal memory( just swap sd cards) that kind of thing. I just want to make sure that I'm not downgrading from my iPhone 4s. I'm limited to virgin mobile phones. Which we all know are well... Limited. I thought about their new LG volt but it doesn't have the HD screen which is something i do want because after using my iphone my tablet is an eyesore to look at with all it's pixels.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

The S3 will get you by for a couple years. By that time any other phone will be obsolete also. My wife got one a few months ago.
Batteries are available.. I have a Ravpower 2250 mah for mine.

AC App on SGS3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

so that I can swap batteries while at the zoo with my kid, take video without dear if filling up my internal memory( just swap sd cards) that kind of thing.

I'm wanting to get one now but not sure if I should get the 3 or spend the extra $100 for the 4. All I do is Facebook Instagram browse the web, and take pics of my kiddo.

So lower priced device that has an SD card, great camera and removable/swappable batteries (not sure why we're seeing so many recommendations that lack 1 or more of those things :p ) - you're right to target the S3 & S4. Between the two there are only three main differences I would pay close attention to when deciding.

1. Software obsolescence - the S3 is probably near it's end of life for new software from Samsung. This can be a good thing if the version you get is very stable and you like it, then you know it's pretty much always going to be like that. If you want to keep progressing for a little while, the S4 would be better.

2. Accessory obsolescence - the S3 is 2 years old. It has a lot of accessories, but as time goes on they will be harder to come by, etc.

3. Camera. Both have really solid cameras for camera phones... but the S4 is quite a bit better IMO, both in features and image quality for outdoor and pictures of moving subjects (my kids don't stop to pose, they don't stop for anything - I'm assuming yours are similar). The camera is a big win in the S4's favor, but is it worth $100? For me yes, for you? That'd probably be the feature I make/break it on.

Good luck and either way we'd be happy to help you get re-acclimated to Android and your device!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca