Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  • 1 Post By paisley99
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  • 1 Post By neonworm
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By alxarambula
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Red face What are the mobile apps you use for messaging and calls?

I am currently using Whatsapp as my main messaging app, Viber to call my also Viber user friends, i am using Rebtel to do international calls (though I am considering to switch to other apps as calls often get suddenly disconnected once answered) and i also use Google Talk sometimes.

What do you use? Favorites?

Default Re: What are the mobile apps you use for messaging and calls?

Hangouts and Dialer. :P

The defaults have always been fine for me; never had reason to switch.
    artlu629 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Hangouts for Texting and the stock sense dialer for phone calls. I really don't call to many people so I don't need anything fancy here!
    artlu629 likes this.

I like Textra for texting. I forgot why i didn't like Chomp and Go and those guys but Textra is clean, nice and efficient.

For calls i use Go Dialer Ex because i don't like the stock android dialer.

And i use HD Caller ID because i dislike the stock ID thing where if you don't have a picture this gigantic weird happy face is on the screen, plus the enormous red hangup bar.
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    3,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Hangouts and Dialer. :P

The defaults have always been fine for me; never had reason to switch.
    ^^This.
    artlu629 likes this.

I'm using LINE and Viber. I like how easy both make it to send location links, voice or video snippets, photos, or drawings in the case of Viber.* I do have one question on them both:

Will either of them suggest contacts in my address book to other contacts? Will they try to introduce my friends to each other?

LINE does show me a list of suggested friends (tap "Friends" then the "+" icon in the upper-right corner), but I don't see this in Viber. This may be one big reason why LINE has become very popular in some places (95% of my students in one Yokohama high school use LINE; nothing else gets above 15%). Is this impossible on Viber? I don't want facebook-style introductions of girlfriends to ex-wives; bosses to sketchy, drinking friends; etc. If Viber does not do this, and commits to not adding the functionality or at least letting me control it, then I'll stay with them and recommend it to all my friends.

If you post anything on LINE's facebook style home, any one of your contacts can comment on it and any other of your contacts can see it.

I have WhatsApp installed too, but no one I know is using it.

* For those not getting the point of these chat apps over email, they make it easy to quickly utilize all their functionality. You can send the same info with email, but you have to drop out to separate apps, edit the file, then go back into the email app and send. You can do regular phone calls and video calls with some of them too; e-mail can't do that. Skype can, but it is heavy, not always running, and has its own adress book.

Edit: Viber also lets me install it on my tablet as well as my phone. LINE does not. You can carry on a conversation with whichever device you're on at the time with Viber.

Edit2: I find it a lot easier to quickly choose a sticker with viber than with LINE. If you have to search for a funny graphic, then the impact wears off, like laughing at a joke long after the conversation has moved on.

For messaging I use Hangouts most of the time, facebook messenger too.
    With my buddies we use Oovoo group video call.
    I've never used Rebtel before but i did heard about their connection problems. If you're looking for an app for international call, i think Global Call is a good app

Dialer and default stock Messaging app. I don't use Google Plus (or any social network or IM service) so I have no reason to use hangouts.

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Wow there are so many messaging apps that i didnt even know about.
    I still think most people are using Hangouts or Whatsapp huh?

Quote Originally Posted by cranky_bot View Post
    For messaging I use Hangouts most of the time, facebook messenger too.
    With my buddies we use Oovoo group video call.
    I've never used Rebtel before but i did heard about their connection problems. If you're looking for an app for international call, i think Global Call is a good app
    Oh, yes fb messenger ofc! Especially to catch up on old friends or family members Global Call? I actually saw a post about it while browsing out on calling apps, but didnt really care. How is it better than other apps?

I use Textra for texting. It is an amazing app. I have been using it for a long time.
    paisley99 likes this.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Swipe Dialer Pro for calls, 8sms for all UK messaging , and Whatsapp for messaging overseas.

Love 'em all!

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by silverdroid09 View Post
    I am currently using Whatsapp as my main messaging app, Viber to call my also Viber user friends, i am using Rebtel to do international calls (though I am considering to switch to other apps as calls often get suddenly disconnected once answered) and i also use Google Talk sometimes.

What do you use? Favorites?
    well the sound quality is great, and you dont have to worry about disconnection while initializing a call since there is no connection fee and calls shorter than six seconds don't get charged. They also do events frequently, currently they have 1+1 event (you get double the amount of credits you purchase) look it up here http://www.globalcall-1plus1.com/

I use BBM for messaging as well as the native messing app. I just the native dialer for calls and Tango.

Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.

Stock messaging app. Stock launcher.

Both stock. They work pretty good.

This forum is in unacceptable condition, UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
    12YRS DUNGEON, EVERYONE, NO TRIAL.

ChompSMS for texting... Stock dialer.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    beeray likes this.

I use the standard phone app on my g2 for calls and use hangouts for messaging...both hangouts and sms!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

I use GrooVe IP from the play store to make calls nation wide when my minutes are low.

beeray likes this.

The one I use does that.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by cranky_bot View Post
    well the sound quality is great, and you dont have to worry about disconnection while initializing a call since there is no connection fee and calls shorter than six seconds don't get charged. They also do events frequently, currently they have 1+1 event (you get double the amount of credits you purchase) look it up here http://www.globalcall-1plus1.com/
    oh sounds like a decent app. i'll definitely give it a try, and the promotion is something you dont want to miss too. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by BK_NY_RAY View Post
    There's this one app I forgot what it's called that gives you a number and let's you send and receive calls and text for free.

can you pls remember the name of the app? does it to international calls as well?

Hangout, took a while to get use to but now I love it.

Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

Like many others, I use Hangout as well.
    I still don't know if I like Google Plus, sometimes it's just down right annoying.
    I'm looking for international app too, so you guys mentioned Global Call, Voxofon and Groove IP.
    Which one might be best in terms of sound quality and price? I'm calling to my gf in the Phillippines btw. Oh, and anyone else annoyed with the new version of facebook chat? They need to stop making changes.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by galeria View Post
    Like many others, I use Hangout as well.
    I still don't know if I like Google Plus, sometimes it's just down right annoying.
    I'm looking for international app too, so you guys mentioned Global Call, Voxofon and Groove IP.
    Which one might be best in terms of sound quality and price? I'm calling to my gf in the Phillippines btw. Oh, and anyone else annoyed with the new version of facebook chat? They need to stop making changes.
    I dont mind with the changes on FB, i think it's just getting better although it takes time to get use to it.
    Groove IP works only when you make calls within US i think, sorry bout that.
    I compared the rates for Voxofon and Global Call for calling Phillippines, 10.6cents (landline) / 14.7cents (mobile) with Voxofon and 9cents (landline) / 12cents (mobile) with Global Call, so Global Call is cheaper. Plus they are still having the 1+1 event, basically youre calling for half the rate it is now. Don't miss it
    here are details to the rates btw Country | Voxofon and http://www.uglobalcall.com/wb/cmmn/UGLprice.uglobal
    as for call quality, i've never used Voxofon so i cant say anything, but GLobal Call has quite a decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdroid09 View Post
    Plus they are still having the 1+1 event, basically youre calling for half the rate it is now. Don't miss it
    Oh the event you guys were mentioning before, you're right it becomes really cheap with event, alright then i better make some purchase before the event is over