Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question Thinking of changing to Android from Windows Phone

Hello, debating changing over to an Android device from my current Windows Phone for my next device, but have a few things holding me back and wondering if Android has any similar features.

One thing I really like on the Windows Phone are the live tiles. For apps like weather I find it pretty useful seeing the weather on the tile and saving me clicking through the app, also useful for emails and seeing how many you have without needing to go into the app.

The other big thing is the people/me tab. In a nutshell the way the people tab works is I can link all my contacts Facebook/Twitter/Linkedin/Email ect accounts together under their name. So when i click someone's contact information I can also see their social media updates, browse photos ect. It is also a real nice and quick and easy way to stay on top of social media as I can browse all of them in one place.

The me tab is kind of the reverse. If someone mention's/tags me on any social media platform the me tab shows that.

Default Re: Thinking of changing to Android from Windows Phone

Welcome to Android Central! Widgets will essentially do what Live Tiles do. A weather widget can show you current weather conditions, forecast, or other information, depending on how you set it up and who makes the widget. Tapping it usually opens up the full app for even more details. The same is true of various widgets for email, Google Keep (Google's notetaking app), etc.

There are a lot of 3rd party contacts apps out there with enhanced features. Contacts+ probably does what you're asking for.

Most places will allow you to return a new device within 10-14 days, so you could always try an Android device and see if you like it. If not, return it and get a new WP device. Have fun!