Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Why Does Sony Not Integrate their Console and related Services with their Android Phones?

Sony has something no other manufacturer has; which is a gaming console. They don't even leverage it in any way. No perks or incentives. I think Sony could be better served by integrating PlayStation services and perks into their phones directly and keep on their phones only to make it a selling point, what do you guys think?

Global Posts
    26,116 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why Does Sony Not Integrate their Console and related Services with their Android Phones?

Now that you bring it up, this is a very good question. In fact, they could sweeten the deal a little. Certain game previews on a Sony device early, occasional extra credit on Playstation store when Sony device is used, etc.
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Why Does Sony Not Integrate their Console and related Services with their Android Phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Now that you bring it up, this is a very good question. In fact, they could sweeten the deal a little. Certain game previews on a Sony device early, occasional extra credit on Playstation store when Sony device is used, etc.
    That's what I was thinking. They are the only one in the Android game that also has a big name console platform, yet they don't utilize it all when it comes to their mobile devices. They could be like Windows Phone. Have exclusive games that beef up your achievements on your Playstation Account and have games that are on your Playstation and your Sony phone. It's so many possibilities there. They did it rudimentarily with the Xperia Play but they need to implement it better.

The reason may be fairly lame.... they come from two different divisions. They have have their own vision and can't agree on a concept.

Sony is HUGE... companies that size have a kind of corporate inertia...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    The reason may be fairly lame.... they come from two different divisions. They have have their own vision and can't agree on a concept.

Sony is HUGE... companies that size have a kind of corporate inertia...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I think they need to get it together. Sony could do big things of they right. Same with Microsoft.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I think they need to get it together. Sony could do big things of they right. Same with Microsoft.
    Of COURSE they could... integrate it so people with PS4 could use their Xperia Z/Z2 for added content.... The game makers are getting in on the concept with companion apps like Titanfall. They could do ALL manners of things.

But the more I thought of it, the more my suspicion seems to make sense. I remember with the Vita came out, they had this grand plan of people playing a game on their PS3, then continuing on their handheld, then back... the same could have been done easily with a smartphone. But, and I may be wrong on this... the Playstation people are in a seperate group than the mobile computing people.... corporate types are very protective and oftentimes petty disputes keep them from working together "I'm not going to let those pinhead button mashers over in the PS division screw around with my phone!"

By absorbing Nokia, they are actually looking for a more cohesive experience across their product line.... bringing everything in house, ala Apple. How well that ends up working out for them, I don't know... but I think the peeps in Redmond will do a better job than Sony has. I mean, hell, they could make EVERYTHING work together; computers/TVs/consoles/handhelds/phones.... but they don't.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Of COURSE they could... integrate it so people with PS4 could use their Xperia Z/Z2 for added content.... The game makers are getting in on the concept with companion apps like Titanfall. They could do ALL manners of things.

But the more I thought of it, the more my suspicion seems to make sense. I remember with the Vita came out, they had this grand plan of people playing a game on their PS3, then continuing on their handheld, then back... the same could have been done easily with a smartphone. But, and I may be wrong on this... the Playstation people are in a seperate group than the mobile computing people.... corporate types are very protective and oftentimes petty disputes keep them from working together "I'm not going to let those pinhead button mashers over in the PS division screw around with my phone!"

By absorbing Nokia, they are actually looking for a more cohesive experience across their product line.... bringing everything in house, ala Apple. How well that ends up working out for them, I don't know... but I think the peeps in Redmond will do a better job than Sony has. I mean, hell, they could make EVERYTHING work together; computers/TVs/consoles/handhelds/phones.... but they don't.
    Microsoft is doing it poorly so far so I don't know if they can do it WELL. They can do it no doubt but everything hinges on the fact everyone is willing to go all in Microsoft's ecosystem shortcomings and all.

Global Posts
    3,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Sony has something no other manufacturer has; which is a gaming console. They don't even leverage it in any way. No perks or incentives. I think Sony could be better served by integrating PlayStation services and perks into their phones directly and keep on their phones only to make it a selling point, what do you guys think?
    They don't do it because they want to keep selling handheld Playstations and Playstation software has higher margins than Apps.

Plus, as you mention in a later post Xbox LIVE features being part of Windows Phone doesn't seem to be that much of a selling point. I play Xbox and don't care about Xbox features on Windows Phone.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    They don't do it because they want to keep selling handheld Playstations and Playstation software has higher margins than Apps.

Plus, as you mention in a later post Xbox LIVE features being part of Windows Phone doesn't seem to be that much of a selling point. I play Xbox and don't care about Xbox features on Windows Phone.
    Microsoft implements Xbox Live features in Windows Phone poorly, that's why if Sony does it right they can have extra selling points. Microsoft half does it with Xbox Services in WP right now.