Which phone has the best GPS??

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I want to buy a new phone and GPS is really important cause I travel a lot, I also want it with great performance. 300-350$ max, I was thinking HTC one max, HTC one mini, GS3..

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply. This site says otherwise: Best GPS 22 Cell Phones

They ranked the SIII with a score of 46% GPS signal.

I wouldn't trust it. If you live in the U.S. and travel a lot though, I would suggest Motorola Android devices. Motorola makes some of the best cell phone radios as they have been in the cell phone business for years. I owned two Motorola devices and they both had very reliable GPS, and data signals. When navigating, your GPS signal, and cell phone signal work in tandem to get a very reliable accuracy of where you are and with the new Google Maps version it gives you lane assist.

Posted via Droid Razr M on The Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Problem with Motorola is that their not battery removable which is very important. Are there any Motorola brand that are battery removable??

No. Though the Droid Maxx has the longest lasting battery of most smartphones. It can handle hours of navigation no problem. Why is a removable battery so important? I would rather have long battery life, with a non removable battery than short battery life and removable battery.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but it's not gonna last forever. If the battery's life ends, is it changeable??

You would rather charge 2 or more batteries than have one phone with one battery that can last just as long as the 2? Removals batteries don't last forever either. More often than not, phones with removable batteries has shorter battery life. If your navigating in a vehicle at that, a car charger would be ideal in the first place.

AikiPhil

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Saw Golfdriver97's post on the GPS all being the same but like many different other products manufactured by varying manufacturers they all have varying quality. I currently have a samsung galaxy gio that is dreadful on GPS and is a particular model that is known for it when searching various forums. It would be useful to have a guide on the various models and their performance of GPS as this will be a criteria for my next mobile purchase coming up soon. Are there any out there?

Mazay

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I would also suggest Motorola. I bought Moto G 4G LTE (1st Gen.) The GPS is very good, works always indoors in house and usually with 5 meters accuracy. While walking in forest variation between two traces was 2 meters at best and 10 at worst. And I just found it at top of list: reviewgist.com/best-cell-phone-gps

Even some new Glonass phones can't locate you indoors or at forest so there really is differences between devices.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3s have never had a problem with the GPS hardware or software (GPS Status, Maps, etc.) GPS Accuracy? If you aren't using some method of enhancing the accuracy of the GPS (carrier phase tracking, millimeter GPS, etc.) the accuracy is only as good as the atmospherics. GPS measures the time it takes the GPS signal to get from the satellite to the receiver. While it's true that the signal travels at the speed of light, that speed varies depending on the medium. (Light travels slower - by a very tiny amount, but enough that GPS has to account for it) near the planet than it does in free space. (A masscon "bends" the signal more, making the path longer, for instance.) So unless you're looking at the HDOP (the horizontal dilution of precision), you can't tell whether you're dead on or a few meters off in any given direction. That difference can be greater than the difference between a phone with a "good" GPS and a "bad" one. (And if the phone doesn't have eGPS, you probably won't get a reading indoors. Conversely, if it does, the indoor reading will be a lot less accurate than when it's actually reading signals from a few satellites.)

If you want accurate GPS, get a GPS receiver that uses ground stations for correction. (The ground station knows precisely where it is and broadcasts that location, so the GPS can see how far off its calculations are. The system [with a few other enhancements] is so good that locations can be determined within a millimeter. You can know where the edge of your property is plus/minus the size of a grain of dirt.)

Saad Yasin

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
deleted i go primo app in my car android screen.. And it was preinstalled when i bought it .. Now I can't find the path for it .. And I can't re install a new one ... Im new user with android .. Please help me

ellarsee

May 28, 2015
Visit site
With the zerolemon 7Ah battery, my S3 can go over two days without running out. No internal batteries come close to that many joules.

The other advantage of replaceable batteries is that if you are in an area with spotty coverage, your battery can go dead from your phone pinging towers, without your knowing it, and leave you with no cellphone at all. If you can replace the battery, then you have a simple backup.

While all GPS have similar accuracy, not all phones have the same sensitivity in the GPS radio receiver. My S3 sucks if the sky is cloudy, and in some cars it simply doesn't work where my girlfriend's garmin does just fine.

aerlewis

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I used Uber's iPhone4 for three months, no problems with GPS signal loss. Decided to buy my own smartphone - researched everything I could find. Went with an LG Vista. It's acquisition and retention of a GPS signal was fine initially but in the 6 months since it's degraded to the point that it doesn't have a signal about 90% of the time, so I'm not even going out to drive Uber anymore. My daughter's Motorola Droid Maxx is awesome - side by side real-time GPS signal comparison - The Droid Maxx wins hands down.

All Phones are not GPS equal.

ducatirider

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
This reminds me of my old iPhone those first iphones
I tried the gps and its telling me to jump off the bridge lol

Posted via the Android Central App

rsc.bioeng

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had horrible experiences with the GPS on the LG G2 VS980 (Verizon). That is with Android KitKat and Lollipop. When I first got the phone, the location indicator would be off the road and pointed in a direction different than my car was moving! The LG G2 was and extreme disappointment.One way I can see how screwy the GPS is, is to use an app like Google Sky Map or GPS Status. When I use either, the location randomly jumps from place-to-place. I have seen many other owners with the same problem. I would not by another LG phone because of this. [D13H4RD2L1V3: I would be interested to hear your experiences with the LG G3 and G4]

My HTC Evo was the opposite: The GPS was great and that was my expectation. That phone would be dead on with GPS whether it was on the dashboard or in my hand on the center console.

I am looking to upgrade and I would love to find a site that actually tests the things that matter to me in my mobile phone:

Phone capability and functionality
Bluetooth phone capability
Voice command and dial capability
GPS functionality
For the first and last, it would be great to have some quantitative measure of capability for comparison. For example, GPS sensitivity and accuracy. If anyone knows of a site, please post a link in this thread. I disagree with Golfdriver97 and I think this would be a valuable ranking for phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995