Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By JeffDenver
  • 3 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By miken562
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What really grinds your gears?

As a android user what really grinds your gears about Android, if any?

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default Re: What really grinds your gears?

That Google allows Sammy to build such inadequate devices for their software to run on!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy97 View Post
    Google's idiotic jihad against SD.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

That's my primary one

Global Posts
    9,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Calling it "Droid."

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I dont hear it that much that's probably because of that 2009 or 2010 ad campaign for the original Droid

I dont hear it that much that's probably because of that 2009 or 2010 ad campaign for the original Droid

No there has been ad campaigns for Droid for years since he first round. I hate it so much when people use Droid to say Android phones. Droid is Android but Android is not Droid.

Posted via Android Central App

I hate how Android KitKat still has Blue lines and buttons in certain UI elements. I thought the Blue "tron" was supposed to go to white? Like in Power Control for example the lines are blue when they should be white. They need to fix that.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Lackluster of phones with Speakers on the front! (Go go HTC!)
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

People that get upset when I call my phone a Droid g-flex

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

What really grinds my gears is there is no native way to control Android OS updates without rooting your device and killing the OTA updater. Google needs to build that into the OS like Microsoft does with Windows so users have more control over the update process. As it is now, without root and killing the updater, you're at the mercy of Google, the OEM, or your carrier. Your device may get updated in the middle of the night (or worse; a time when you need to use it) whether you wanted it to or not. Many times that results in the user spending an inordinate amount of unplanned time troubleshooting and trying to fix a problem the update introduced to what was otherwise previously a problem free working device.

Another one is the way Google automatically pushes out updates to Google Play Services behind the scenes without the user's knowledge as if it's their device and they can make any change to it anytime they wish. This is the type of behavior Microsoft got into big trouble with in the past with Windows Update.

Google needs a better cloud-based backup/restore solution. Sure, they've been improving things, such as having app DATA backups to go with their "we'll load your apps back for you" feature... many (if not most) times, it's the app data we want more than the app itself. But not all apps support the feature. The only way to keep that stuff handy is to load something like Titanium Backup.... but to the most out of that, you need a rooted device (and some of its features might get handcuffed come future versions of Android). You really should be able to wipe the phone then check off "Restore system and user data" when you restore the phone.

The 'stock' recovery typically means "FACTORY RESET! Do not pass GO!" for most people. For the more tech-aware folks, what is one of the first things that gets loaded on a phone? Even those not looking to root their phone or load a custom rom typically load a custom recovery..... why do we even need to have custom recoveries like TWRP and CWM? All those features should be available right from the get-go.

I guess, at least, from what I've seen, Google recognizes this and is working to resolve it. As I mentioned earlier, they are implementing app data cloud backups, they've been leveraging Google Drive for backing up photos and videos.... hopefully this is just the start.

That device makers cave to insane carrier demands for exclusivity on features or for features to be left out (Google Wallet and Qi charging are great examples). I'm on the buying my phones outright and unlocked bandwagon now!

My biggest beef is that I can't stream audio through my car's USB port. I know there are reasons Android went to MTP which from my understanding is what stopped us from being able to use the USB for audio streaming, but I really wish this still worked. Bluetooth typically doesn't give you the same car audio controls and it doesn't sound as good as using the USB port.

Also, I wish Google would reduce some of the fat. We have Chrome and Internet apps, and we have Photos and Gallery apps for accessing our pictures. We just need Chrome and Photos.

That's my 0.02 worth.

Having a great signal and because the network are incompetent morons and due to whatever factor unable to make a call.

That really grinds my gears.

The fact that there is no complete and all-inclusive backup solution like there is with iCloud. Not Android bashing here, just wishing that Android had it. If I restore my device, I want it a restore function to put it back to the way it was before I reset it.
    Thanked by:
    The Real X Dawg likes this.

ROM
    ViperOne

Some services that Apple does better. The other is the need to root to customize some UI elements and fonts. I have no problem with rooting but some of my friends/family would just brick their device and I don't have time to maintain them over time either.

Global Posts
    3,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Inconsistencies in UI and lack of polish across Android itself and Android Apps. Lack of a seamless complete back up like iOS.