This is Tizen!

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Tizen dev conference is going on now. You can search Twitter with #TDCSF14 to get the latest.
Samsung Z is based on Tizen 2.2.1. Today they are speaking about 3.0 version which comes with QT bundled. They have ver 2.3 before 3.0.
They are going to use Tizen for everything - smartphones, TV, washing machine, fridge, automobiles, smart home etc.,

Here's some videos about the Samsung Z and new TV prototype running Tizen:

Tizen TV:

Samsung's Tizen TV: First Look

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
What is Tizen doing that Android does not already do?

Complete control of eco-system for Samsung. Top to bottom, total control on software and hardware. No headache of acting according to Google's whims. It's a simple logic, isn't it?

Just an example -- Google might tomorrow decide SD cards are bad business. Nothing can Samsung do about it. That situation will never arise for Tizen.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So Samsung is going to stop making Android devices? You promise?

See, that's the rub... A Samsung phone without Android is DOA in Europe, Asia and North America.... No one will buy it (and carriers have already said 'no thanks'). Granted, those three markets are not the entire world, but in terms of the technology market, well, it pretty much is.

If Samsung decides to kick Android to the curb, that will mark the end of Samsung as a dominant player in the smartphone/tablet industry. Ecosystem or not, I can't for the life of me figure out what they are thinking.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Complete control of eco-system for Samsung.
Thats awesome for Samsung. How does it benefit me as the end user right now?

Top to bottom, total control on software and hardware. No headache of acting according to Google's whims. It's a simple logic, isn't it?
It's simple logic if it results in a product that is actually better, or does more. what does Tizen do for me that Android does not already do, and better?

Just an example -- Google might tomorrow decide SD cards are bad business. Nothing can Samsung do about it. That situation will never arise for Tizen.
If that ever happens, Tizen will suddenly acquire value. Has anything like that happened yet?

And, frankly, I trust Google more than Samsung. Samsung is a lot more likely to go proprietary or forbid competitors from accessing their ecosystem.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why Tizen is a good thing. And I do not mean for Samsung. I already understand Samsung would LIKE us to use Tizen.

What I am asking is what features or functionality Tizen has that should make me care about it.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, watched that video again. That looks like a hot mess. lol. Like 3 different o/s and a coupla launchers. I like that it's gesture-y though.

I'd have to add a "calm down" skin though.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung doesn't own Tizen, although it's loosely based on a very old Samsung linux project and in 2013 they merged in the functionality that existed in Bada. They are one member of the Board of Directors for the Tizen Association (1 of 10) and one of dozens of partners and hundreds of member companies. Samsung and Intel are two big players in that game, but they're still merely players. The current Board of Directors is Fujitsu, Huawei, Intel (Officer), KT, LG, NTT DoCoMo (Officer), Orange (Officer), Samsung (officer), SK telecom and Vodaphone. Samsung competitors (obviously LG, Huawei, etc) such as Panasonic, Sharp, ZTE and many others are also partners in the project, just as Oracle, Sprint & and Coremob.

Many of the partners (including Samsung, Intel, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Motorola, LG, HTC, Sprint, Tmobile, NTT DoCoMo, Vodaphone, Huawei, Sony, ZTE, etc, etc, etc) also are partners of Sailfish, and the Open Handset Alliance and through that the Android Open Source Project.

Tizen is really just a rebranding of the Linux Mobile Foundation, which includes all of these same players and which was founded with Samsung, Panasonic and Motorola working together in 2007 (along with - again - dozens of other partners, most of which are still on the rebranded project roster).

Here's how these things work: someone has an idea and says, "hey, lets group together and make something we can all use" and all of these companies jump on board, even if they contribute little, because the benefits of being part of the project should it take off outweigh the cost of sitting through a couple of meetings.

None of that makes the project good or worthwhile or anything and today Tizen has more in common with Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android (for different reasons) than with Google's Android and accompanying OEM partnerships, as a platform. If OEM's start making devices in any meaningful way it will start to show similarities to Windows Phone, in terms of share, market impact and ecosystem.

I realize Samsung is a major player in bringing Tizen to devices in the market - but thinking of this as their creation to lash out against Google is simply insane. They're diversifying and supporting multiple projects as they have always done (see Samsung Windows phones, Samsung Bada phones, Samsung LiMo phones, blah, blah, etc, etc). HTC, Panasonic, HP, Sony, etc, etc have all this in common and it's smart business to have multiple streams of contact with the market.

What would be stupid beyond all belief would be to burn bridges with 80% of the world in order to promote one of several projects that you're a stakeholder in - specifically one that has no traction (as of 2014, ).

Bottom line: These are both open source projects (Android and Tizen) and they have almost identical rosters of companies supporting them. If Samsung releases Tizen devices, it will have approximately the same amount of control over Tizen as it does with Android with the exception of the requirements that are in place for OEMs who wish to license the Google Play store. It doesn't get to shape Tizen to fit Samsung's needs any more than it got to shape Android to fit Samsung's needs (note that it did that a lot in the form of TouchWiz - same level of concept here).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I realize Samsung is a major player in bringing Tizen to devices in the market - but thinking of this as their creation to lash out against Google is simply insane. They're diversifying and supporting multiple projects as they have always done (see Samsung Windows phones, Samsung Bada phones, Samsung LiMo phones, blah, blah, etc, etc). HTC, Panasonic, HP, Sony, etc, etc have all this in common and it's smart business to have multiple streams of contact with the market.
Which is fine. Still does not answer the question as to why Tizen matters, or what exactly it can do that Android doesn't already do. I don't see a reason to be excited about it.

Windows Phone at least had a novel UI if nothing else...what does Tizen have?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Which is fine. Still does not answer the question as to why Tizen matters, or what exactly it can do that Android doesn't already do. I don't see a reason to be excited about it.

Windows Phone at least had a novel UI if nothing else...what does Tizen have?

I'm not making the claim that there is a benefit to the consumer today other than the general market benefit of options and competition. I'm inclined to think that Tizen doesn't matter any more or less than Sailfish or Windows Phone or Paranoid Android or Cydia to the quote unquote general public. In 2018 that may be different, but given that it's the same players guiding most of the progress on several of those platforms... odds are they're not going to cut their own throats in order to promote one over the other without market pressure (IE, Apple suddenly closes and a second player in the market is necessitated).

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung doesn't own Tizen, although it's loosely based on a very old Samsung linux project and in 2013 they merged in the functionality that existed in Bada....
These are both open source projects (Android and Tizen) and they have almost identical rosters of companies supporting them....

Not quoting you full, but I believe Samsung has more control over Tizen than it will ever have over Android. Samsung is part of Tizen TSG, where in Android it doesn't have such power.

tizen-bada.png

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not quoting you full, but I believe Samsung has more control over Tizen than it will ever have over Android. Samsung is part of Tizen TSG, where in Android it doesn't have such power.

View attachment 121394
\\

I mean it in the context that Samsung has almost exactly as much control over Tizen as it does over android. They can take the code and do whatever it wants to it and put it on devices and it can contribute to the source. T[FONT=arial, sans-serif]hey can't dictate what Motorola or Panasonic does with it. Samsung was indeed involved in many of those projects, however those shortlists of contributors leave out the dozens of companies that are also involved with those projects, as well as the interlocking memberships with several other projects.

Tizen is not Intel & Samsung alone, neither is the future of it. They're two of 10 directors out of dozens of companies on an open source projects that is all too similar to the many other projects that those exact same dozens of companies work on. That chart isn't showing false information, as those companies are involved with those projects - however it is not showing all of the information either and is very misleading to the average joe schmoe who might think this is Samsung's product/OS and/or that Samsung and Intel are teaming up to dethrone iOS or Android, etc.

It's just an open source alternative just like dozens of other distributions of Linux - just like Android was/is. Emphasizing the meaninglessness of it and the interlocking influences of all of these projects is required to portray it accurately, but it doesn't fit neatly on a chart.
[/FONT]

Samsung does have input to the Open Handset Alliance and is a founding member of that as well. It can't dictate to Google what Google does on Nexus phones, but it can do whatever it wants to TouchWiz devices, especially if it doesn't choose to license the Google Play store.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In the Linux world, what's the primary benefit to using openSUSE over ubuntu or cinnamon vs Fedora Core and which of those is most likely to dethrone Microsoft and Apple in enterprise next year? That's the big picture meaningfulness of this "war" between Tizen and Android and the fact that both projects are run by a laundry list of players that have 95% of their rosters in common makes it even more trivial.

Can that change? Sure! Look; competition and diversification are good - both for prices and options for us. But thinking that Samsung is trying to "get out" of Android is just nuts. Could things go that way if Tizen ever takes off? Sure! But things could also go that way if Windows Phone takes off and Sammy decides to put more eggs in that basket. Samsung is a 'jack of all' sort of company and they're going to have their hands in just about everything. They're totally comfortable (and so are their other partners) with playing in all of the pools. It is only consumers who think they'll choose one over another.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not making the claim that there is a benefit to the consumer today other than the general market benefit of options and competition. I'm inclined to think that Tizen doesn't matter any more or less than Sailfish or Windows Phone or Paranoid Android or Cydia to the quote unquote general public. In 2018 that may be different, but given that it's the same players guiding most of the progress on several of those platforms... odds are they're not going to cut their own throats in order to promote one over the other without market pressure (IE, Apple suddenly closes and a second player in the market is necessitated).

So we can expect it to go nowhere. Pretty much what I would have assumed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
7 years ago Android was in the same spot. Today tizen isn't news. 7 years from now, who know... Maybe today will be history.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca