Coming from BlackBerry Z10 - Any Suggestions?

ClevelandBB

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all! First post here, but I've been a long-time member of Crackberry!

I will most likely be buying the LG G3 when it comes out on T-Mobile USA. Right now, I own a BlackBerry Z10, but I am moving on because of the uncertainty of BlackBerry's future. I have owned several BlackBerry phones over the past 8 years, and nothing else. This will be my first experience with Android. I will say right off the bat, I do love BB10 except for the app support, screen, battery life, and camera. The OS is very smooth and intuitive. I recommend everyone at least tries it. Some things I will dearly miss are the Hub, gestures, and multitasking.

My questions for you all are:

Is there a way to congregate all of your email accounts into one app?
Can Android be clunky/crowded?
What are some things I should do when I get my phone?
What is your least favorite thing about Android?
What is your favorite?

THANKS!

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there...former CB guy myself! You'll find everyone has their own opinion on some of these questions, but here's mine:

Is there a way to congregate all of your email accounts into one app? .... with 3rd party apps, yes. I'm currently using Cloud Magic for that reason. Aqua Mail is another that will do it that I know of off hand.

Can Android be clunky/crowded? .... It can be, if you let it. The Android OS is so customizable, you can make it super streamlined too though. It's all up to how much you tinker with things!

What are some things I should do when I get my phone? .... Along with my answer above, it depends on how much you WANT to do with your phone. Many people say to root it right off the bat to have full control, many people are against that. It just depends on you, and your comfort level with changing things up. If you think you may want to root it, do your research first!

What is your least favorite thing about Android? .... Some apps aren't as polished as I would like them to be. Coming from a BlackBerry though, you're used to that ;) ... not a knock, again I was a BB guy for a long time too.

What is your favorite? .... easy, I have so much control over what my phone looks like and does. You can really make it your phone!

Good luck with the transition, and welcome to the team :p

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Get the bbm app so you will feel more at ease with the transition!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Is there a way to congregate all of your email accounts into one app?
The stock Email app can import mail from IMAP and POP3 accounts.

Can Android be clunky/crowded?
As mentioned above by itrthemes, it can be as crowded or as sparse as you want, thanks to one of Android's greatest strengths, customizability. Can it be clunky? That really depends on a couple of factors--how powerful the device is (low end devices will generally be slow and clunky) and how well an app is written. Devices that have a lot of added manufacturer skin and bloat may be more prone to clunkiness if their hardware isn't powerful enough to support it all.

What are some things I should do when I get my phone?
Hopefully these guides will be helpful:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...i-intro-homescreens-settings.html#post3298515
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...stalling-apps-managing-media.html#post3400938
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

What is your least favorite thing about Android?
One of Android's strengths--the sheer variety of devices out there--can also be a major weakness, because it makes it harder for system updates to roll out uniformly to everyone. The reason iPhones get updated at the same time is because they're all essentially the same. This is why I prefer Nexus devices, because they're always first in line for updates.

What is your favorite?
Favorite device? I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (both 1st and 2nd gen), which are all awesome. The HTC One M8 was pretty dang impressive in the store, and the LG G3 is also looking to be quite killer.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I recognize you from CB!

Honestly, after using Android for awhile you'll see that the things you think you'll miss on BB10 are present on Android, only they're handled differently. I've used BB10 a well, and I still think Android's multitasking is a bit better than BB10. You'll see when you get the G3 (which is a great choice, btw).

As mentioned, the stock email app does a great job at keeping your emails together. It even offers a view of all your accounts which is a bit hub-like.

Also, I agree with those who say that Android can be as clunky or as simple as you want. If you're not a fan of the stock LG launcher, you can download another from the Play Store for a completely different look and set of functions. On the G3 you'll be able to customize the touch buttons at the bottom to a configuration that works the best for you. Android also has a running apps page that is similar to BB10's active frames. I hear that on the G3 it is in a grid format, but you can also change it to the typical scroll format on other devices.

B.Diddy gave you some great guides to get started once you get your device!! Everything will be pretty intiutive, I think, as far as how to set up your home screen, etc. There will also be some tutorial pop ups once you use the phone for the first time. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED if you have trouble using it for the first couple days. As with any new OS, there will be a learning curve. Things won't be where you're accustomed to them being, and that's ok!

Also, DOWNLOAD SWIFTKEY! That's the keyboard that is at the base of the BB10 keyboard. Everything will be pretty familiar (the predictive texting, swipe left to delete, etc), and that familiarity will help you get over the learning curve that much faster.

My least favorite thing is pretty much what B.Diddy said about the number of devices and the different features on each of them. For example, on some Android devices you can't add files/photos to an email reply, but on others you can (you can on the G2/G3). Also the notification tray looks different on each device depending on the skin.

My favorite thing is definitely the customizeability. I never get bored with Android, even though I typically have the same setup on each Android device I get. I replace apps once I find something that works better. I have fun playing around with widgets (which are amazing for quick productivity).

I'll be getting the G3 as well (I currently have the G2). If you have any questions about LG devices, feel free to send me a BBM: 7A70D89B

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I recognize you all from CB LOL . I got into Android with the Droid Maxx (Moto X) and quite honestly I really like the mostly stock version of Android. I find it to be smooth and works pretty well. Motorola is also very fast at updating the OS

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd follow this thread, like you I'm getting my first android in a couple of days. I'm waiting on the Note 3 I bought off crackberry. Great advice so far.

Nine54

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Z10 as well, but switched to a Moto X. If you really felt the size of the Z10 was ideal, I would recommend the Moto X. It has a larger screen, but still feels great in the hand unlike some of the larger Android devices. Also, while I like BB 10, I think the Moto X's Active Display along with the Android notification bar are actually more efficient than the Z10 LED and peek and flow stuff, especially with the help of certain apps such as Calendar Status Pro. The Moto X also has the always-listening, hands-free access to Google Now.

And I definitely would second pantless' suggestion to get SwiftKey. IMO, it doesn't look as nice as Google's stock keyboard or the BB10 keyboard, but the prediction and ability to swipe make it as good, if not better, than the BB 10 keyboard.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Z10 as well, but switched to a Moto X. If you really felt the size of the Z10 was ideal, I would recommend the Moto X. It has a larger screen, but still feels great in the hand unlike some of the larger Android devices. Also, while I like BB 10, I think the Moto X's Active Display along with the Android notification bar are actually more efficient than the Z10 LED and peek and flow stuff, especially with the help of certain apps such as Calendar Status Pro. The Moto X also has the always-listening, hands-free access to Google Now.

And I definitely would second pantless' suggestion to get SwiftKey. IMO, it doesn't look as nice as Google's stock keyboard or the BB10 keyboard, but the prediction and ability to swipe make it as good, if not better, than the BB 10 keyboard.

Is this swiftKey keyboard something you download?