Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By stackberry369
  • 2 Post By AustinAggie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    I am so sad to see Motorola being sold off to a Chinese company. No question there will be a substantial quality reduction and even less support.
    I would have bought another Motorola phone in an instant when my contract is up because of the top notch reception and battery life, not to mention the active notifications.
    Looks like Ill be checking out the S6 when its here in 18 months.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    I wouldn't write Moto off just yet. Lenovo isn't just any Chinese company--they've been making high quality PCs ever since taking over IBM's PC business in 2005. So far, the support is still quite high--the Moto X was essentially the second phone to start getting the 4.4.3 update rollout, and they also confirmed the Droid Maxx/Mini/Ultra will get 4.4.3.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    The plant closing makes me mad especially when they just got it opened not long ago. Now they're laying off a bunch of people.

    Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,276 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Lenovo is a great company. I wouldn't count them out just yet. Closing the plant was bad? Yes but its not over for Moto when it comes to good devices. Give em' a chance.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Quote Originally Posted by like2angle View Post
    I am so sad to see Motorola being sold off to a Chinese company. No question there will be a substantial quality reduction and even less support.
    I would have bought another Motorola phone in an instant when my contract is up because of the top notch reception and battery life, not to mention the active notifications.
    Looks like Ill be checking out the S6 when its here in 18 months.
    To be fair, all along, all of the phones have been manufactured in China all along - it was just the MotoMaker phones that were *assembled* in Texas. They're stopping that last step due to lack of sales.

    And there's no doubt that Motorola skimped on technology as well, particularly the camera components.

    I'm keeping an open mind. I'm a year away from upgrading anyway, and any phones that are sold even this year we're designed by the Google owned Motorola, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the 2015 phones are already well into the planning stages right now, and Motorola is still owned by Google. The sale has not been approved by regulators or closed yet.
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    20,582 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,016 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    The last I knew the sale wasn't final yet. So technically, as of right now Moto is still part of Google. The plant in the US closing is sad, but I think it would have had a better chance at staying open if all carriers got the option of the Moto maker right away.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    A895Ry 
    Ry and A895 like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Quote Originally Posted by like2angle View Post
    I am so sad to see Motorola being sold off to a Chinese company. No question there will be a substantial quality reduction and even less support.
    I would have bought another Motorola phone in an instant when my contract is up because of the top notch reception and battery life, not to mention the active notifications.
    Looks like Ill be checking out the S6 when its here in 18 months.
    What does being Chinese have to do with anything? Xenophobic much?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    What does being Chinese have to do with anything? Xenophobic much?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I doubt the OP was being xenophobic--probably just wary of Chinese companies because of all of those subpar (and knockoff) cheapo devices that more obscure Chinese companies tend to flood the market with. I'm wary of no-name Chinese products as well (and I'm Chinese!), but as I mentioned before, Lenovo has a good reputation and makes good products.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I doubt the OP was being xenophobic--probably just wary of Chinese companies because of all of those subpar (and knockoff) cheapo devices that more obscure Chinese companies tend to flood the market with. I'm wary of no-name Chinese products as well (and I'm Chinese!), but as I mentioned before, Lenovo has a good reputation and makes good products.
    Yes they do.. Thinkpads haven't lost a beat since Lenovo bought them from IBM. Recent models are some of the best yet, and Lenovo continues to be the only major laptop manufacturer outside of Apple who does their own designs (meaning they don't outsource them). I can't speak for their phones, but they clearly make great laptops.

    I'm hopeful for the Moto phone lineup.. but obviously time will tell.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and B. Diddy like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    To be fair, all along, all of the phones have been manufactured in China all along - it was just the MotoMaker phones that were *assembled* in Texas. They're stopping that last step due to lack of sales.
    We only know the plant in Texas is closing. Lenovo does have manufacturing facilities in the US. Motorola has said that Moto Maker will continue.

    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/30...will-continue/
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

    Will Motorola design still be headquartered in Chicago?

    Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Will the G3 UI ever come to the G2?
    By Enigma07 in forum LG G2
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 11:36 AM
  2. Traveling to Canada need Sim card suggestions
    By sethgoldstein in forum Droid RAZR M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
  5. Adding phone contacts (phone number only) to a group
    By nickgrahamfox in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions