Did anyone else notice Google's major change they just slipped in quietly?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So I was uploading photos to Google Drive when I hovered over the storage capacity. I must say I was quite surprised when there as part of my Google storage capacity was not just Drive and Google+ photos, but also GMAIL! So now Gmail isn't unlimited storage anymore? If Google drops unlimited, does that mean everyone else will too since they only did it to compete with Google? And how could Google just make this change without any notification whatsoever? Did they think we wouldn't notice? Is that why there isn't a storage capacity meter within gmail? 😈

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't ever remember Gmail being unlimited storage.

I think I have 25 gigs right now, and I have never gone over 20% capacity. Box and Dropbox are more useful to me for actual storage...I really only use Gmail/Drive for documents and email.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Gmail storage has never been unlimited. In fact, up until a few years ago one of their advertising points for Gmail was that it offered a lot of (though not infinite) capacity. The shared storage limit centered on Drive is something they've been working towards on their cloud services for a while now.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just never noticed because I never used Google services except for Drive before getting an Android and having no choice. But I'm pretty sure when Gmail started, you know - back when you had to get an invitation in order to sign up, it was all about not ever needing to delete another email.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I just never noticed because I never used Google services except for Drive before getting an Android and having no choice. But I'm pretty sure when Gmail started, you know - back when you had to get an invitation in order to sign up, it was all about not ever needing to delete another email.

It was about never deleting email, but that was never unlimited. Initially in 2004 it was an unheard of 1gb of storage. Then it went to 2gb then 4gb which, for email was considered way more than you would ever need.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I remember when Gmail's storage was combined with Drive's. It was probably a year ago or more. They basically added the 2 together, plus a bit more IIRC. OP, there was notification. You must have missed it.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Gmail's storage was combined with Drive's. It was probably a year ago or more. They basically added the 2 together, plus a bit more IIRC. OP, there was notification. You must have missed it.
I must have. I've only had an Android for about 18 months and didn't have a gmail account before that. Probably only got one a year ago when I learned that you had to have an actual gmail account to access contact backups not just a Google account.

If a company says they offer unlimited storage they would have to be lying.

Based on all off this, I mostly find it interesting that the storage capacity meter is not on Gmail giving the impression that you don't have a limit. I have Yahoo! and MSN accounts and they both "dropped their limits" to compete with Google. Maybe they just silently upped the limits but the storage meters are gone there too. If it isn't unlimited then they have to tell you what your limit is and how close you are, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a meter on the Gmail webpage, at the bottom.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, Gmail was never unlimited. I have been a gmail user since it was invite only. The big deal with Gmail was that the storage was an order of magnitude larger than what anyone else offered, and more than you could possibly fill with email at the time. It was also constantly increased. In fact, the Gmail login page used to feature a constantly increasing counter that displayed how much free storage each Gmail user had access to. So, you used to get 5 or 10 GB free on Gmail and the other amount free on drive. About a year or so ago they combined the two and simply said you get 15 GB free between the two of them. One huge advantage of this was that it introduced an easy way to get more Gmail storage, simply upgrade your drive plan. Also, there is a meter in the bottom left corner of Gmail when you access it from a browser on a desktop/laptop.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Getting everything you want for free is great, but these things cost money. At some point, either you start paying or they find someone to pay for you; meaning ads.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my gmail on my pc and there is no counter in the bottom left corner. I only have it on Drive so I'm not sure what you all are seeing. I still have to look further into what Yahoo! and MSN did.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with everyone else. I don't remember Gmail being unlimited. Gmail was known for having lots of storage but not unlimited.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my gmail on my pc and there is no counter in the bottom left corner. I only have it on Drive so I'm not sure what you all are seeing. I still have to look further into what Yahoo! and MSN did.

You don't see this at the bottom left? Once you reach the bottom of your email?

Below is the desktop version of Gmail on my Chrome browser.

Attachments

• 1402328506175.jpg
    1402328506175.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 14

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Google storage settings tells you the breakdown.

yhube6yt.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
You don't see this at the bottom left? Once you reach the bottom of your email?

Below is the desktop version of Gmail on my Chrome browser.

I was looking in the left column not the frame. Will check again now that there's a screenshot. Thanks.