Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Windows explorer not recognizing filenames with periods -for example " .foldername "

I have plugged my usb from my note 2 into my laptop and opened File explorer. I have allot of files with periods before their name and file explorer is not recognizing them.

for example - " .filename " or " .foldername "

is there a setting or something im missing? how do I get windows to "see" these folders?

Default Re: Windows explorer not recognizing filenames with periods -for example " .foldername "

From command prompt, navigate to the folder above the folders that have leading "." then type the command:

mkdir .foldername

Substitute the name of each folder for folder name. You will have to run this command once for each folder. Windows doesn't like leading "." in a folder name but Linux doesn't care.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    3,404 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Default Re: Windows explorer not recognizing filenames with periods -for example " .foldername "

Quote Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
    I have plugged my usb from my note 2 into my laptop and opened File explorer. I have allot of files with periods before their name and file explorer is not recognizing them.

for example - " .filename " or " .foldername "

is there a setting or something im missing? how do I get windows to "see" these folders?
    You have to remove the "." from the file name. That is not a valid character for naming files/folders in Windows.