Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    ICS

Default SD card help--how much does the transfer and write speed matter for phones

At this point, I'm pretty sure that I will be purchasing the LG G3 when it comes out. I'm looking to purchase a Micro SD card so I can store videos and photos. I am contemplating the Samsung Evo (up to 48 MB/s) and Samsung Pro (up to 90 MB/s) since they are highly rated and reviewed, and are cheaper than their Sandisk counterparts. My question is, will I really be able to notice a difference between the two if I am simply recording video in Full HD? If I decide to start shooting in 4K when I can actually afford a 4K TV, would having the faster writing speeds of the Pro be worth the extra $20? Or is it a wash either way. Thanks to whoever can help!

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: SD card help--how much does the transfer and write speed matter for phones

Normally you wouldn't notice but if you are really going to get a 4K TV soon, then the faster rated SD card is the way to go.

Now if you don't feel like spending more, and the 4K TV is not in your very near future plans, the Evo with 48 MB/s sounds pretty good for now.
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Default Re: SD card help--how much does the transfer and write speed matter for phones

Keep in mind the "up to" part. I have a Samsung Evo card up to 48MB/s,and read speeds are close to that but write speeds are around 17MB/s.

Also 4k video as taken on my note 3 is 6MB/s. I have a 128gb Sandisk ultra microSDXC card, up to 30MB/s in my note 3 now and I have seen write speeds under 10MB/s sometimes. But still no problem with 4k recording.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCL View Post
    That may turn out to be a problem under KitKat.
    I am using KitKat and storing media on the sd. Not all apps work with KitKat but there are some.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3