Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Budget tablet to read scanned PDF

Hi guys,

I am looking for a tablet solely to read books (epub, mobi, PDF).

I used to have a Coby Kyros MID-9742, which was dirt cheap ($100)

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Kyros-9-7...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

It was horribly slow, and crashed after loading a webpage using the stock web browser (so I switched to Opera Mini) but I still managed to use it for reading PDF files (even though it might take 1-30 seconds, depending on how long I read the previous page, to load the next page). However, the table is finally broken two days ago after 8 months serving its purpose.

So I am looking for a new tablet and I raise my budget this time to $100 - $200. Since I read PDF, I think I prefer the screen size of the iPad ~10 inches, 4:3 ratio. What would be the best option for me?

I did a quick search on Amazon and there seemed to be many cheap tablets with decent specs, such as:

Amazon.com : Le Pan II 9.7" 8 GB Tablet with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : Dragon Touch® A97 9.7'' Google Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Dual Core Tablet PC, Allwinner A20 Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 8GB HDD, 1024x768 Resolution, Multi-Touch Screen, Front Camera + Rear Camera, Google Play Pre-Installed, HDMI 2160P

http://www.amazon.com/TUVVA-Elementa...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

I'm not sure if these tablets are sturdy or reliable? I am also considering to buy an used iPad 2. What would be your suggestion?

Default Re: Budget tablet to read scanned PDF

Welcome to Android Central! I wouldn't really trust those brands to be any more reliable than the Coby. Look for brands like Asus, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, or Samsung. Here's a decent deal for a refurbished Asus 10" tablet on Groupon for $140: Asus 10" MeMo Pad Smart 16GB Tablet Deal of the Day | Groupon
    Thanked by:

Buying some of the no name is not recommended.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Have you looked at the Nexus 7 yet?

The OP specified a preference for 10" screen.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The OP specified a preference for 10" screen.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
    Oh. *facepalm* I totally missed that part.

But I don't blame you--I wanted to suggest the N7 as well, because I think it's a good size for a portable reader! But old fogey eyes like mine can sometimes have difficulty with the screen size ...

If your willing to go a little smaller on the screen and reading is all your doing, a Kindle would be the best bet.

Actually, you can get a refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for $199 and a refurbished Kindle Fire is a better bet than any of the tablets you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AFK...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Brand new 7" Kindle Fire HTC are the same price.

Posted via Android Central App