Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Does 64GB really cost manufacturers so much more to put in 2014 phones?

You'd think by now we'd have seen the end of 16GB flagship phones being released. Yes there are SD cards for those 16GB phones but seriously, even setting 32GB as the standard would be a nice change and banish 16's to the outhouse for good. Does it cost so much more to put 64 in a phone over 16?

Default Re: Does 64GB really cost manufacturers so much more to put in 2014 phones?

16 to 64 costs an additional $20 bom cost.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Does 64GB really cost manufacturers so much more to put in 2014 phones?

Makes sense, I didn't consider the cloud factor. So we could say that the stagnation of internal storage is being encouraged by Google and Government?

I don't think the two are related. At least, not closely. Bear in mind that it's the manufacturers doing it, not Google, and aside from Motorola (for the moment) none of the big manufacturers are even based in the United States. There's no conspiracy here: a lot of people find cloud storage convenient and/or don't need a lot of storage on their phone. Manufacturers, meanwhile, are pleased to make extra profits on those who demand more internal storage. Is Google happy when you use its cloud? Of course. Is the government? Maybe, but they're not acting as puppetmasters. At worst they're taking advantage of something people are doing anyway.
    Thanked by 2:
    retsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCL View Post
    Of course not. But Google/Android doesn't want you to store your data on your storage. Instead they want you to store your data on their storage (clouds) so that they have far faster, easier, better, and cheaper access.
    And the piggybacking Feds like that much better too.
    Boom!! Agreed

Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

JohnnyCL hit the mark.

This is why Apple charges at least $100 if you want to double your storage.

It's all about the "cloud."

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

And thats why I dropped 40 bucks on a 64 gig microsd when I got my Note 2, and will probably get a 128 gig card whenever I get the Note 3/4/5/etc.

Think again: Google rules Android. Android rules the use, or lack of it, of (Android) smartphones' storage. As KitKat demonstrates.
    All Google does is dictate what devices can have Google Apps pre-installed on them, according to a set of criteria that doesn't include charging customers a premium for more storage. Google rules the software, but the device manufacturers rule the hardware.
    Thanked by:

Hardware manufacturers would be selling bricks if they didn't adhere to Google's rules for Android (that get tightened ever more with each new version – like a noose). Google is the dictator in Android-land. Literally. Exactly like Apple's 'walled garden'. That is the 'product' that Android (Google) 'stole' according to Jobs: monopoly!
    Do you have any evidence at all that Google won't let a manufacturer put Google Apps on its device if they don't overcharge for internal storage, or is this just a conspiracy theory you've got going here?
    A895 likes this.

It doesn't... Depending on the phone some use 32 GB as their default (like the Note 3).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

LG G2 only 32 GB in the US.

Think again: Google rules Android. Android rules the use, or lack of it, of (Android) smartphones' storage. As KitKat demonstrates.
    They changed how the phone "speaks" with the micro SD card in Android 4.4..... Manufacturers have complete control if they want to add 64gb of internal storage

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Excuse me but who said that except you?
    So what are you saying, then? How does Google prevent manufacturers from selling phones with large amounts of internal storage cheaply?

Oh, you hadn't noticed they rolled out KitKat?
    That doesn't change internal storage, just SD cards.

You have Google shares, right?
    Nope, just trying to keep the discussion on track. :P

The discussion on Kit Kat and SD cards has already been done in multiple places on AC alone. The OP here asked a specific question about internal storage that I'm trying to answer. I don't want to get back into SD cards and Kit Kat. There are other threads for that already.

There's nothing wrong with SD cards. They didn't change the basics. It's Android that changed. Now severely limiting user-selected file storage on external MicroSD cards in KitKat and down the road.
    Tell me, where's the benefit for the user in that?
    For the user the effect is that he is pushed to the cloud, preferably Google's cloud being dangled before us at every turn, for his storage needs. We know why Google wants that.
    So it's definitely not the user who benefits from that move.
    Let's not confuse the issue(s) here and stay focused.
    You can't stay focused with those conspiracy theories. You are way off the mark.

Posted via Android Central App

64GB is not needed by the Joe public. Apple offers 64GB iPhones yet their 16GB is the most popular. The 64GB HTC one X+ was not a be seller either, the HTC One X did much better by comparison.

Quite honestly smartphone buyers haven't reached the point where 64GB internal storage is needed.

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    64GB is not needed by the Joe public. Apple offers 64GB iPhones yet their 16GB is the most popular. The 64GB HTC one X+ was not a be seller either, the HTC One X did much better by comparison.

Quite honestly smartphone buyers haven't reached the point where 64GB internal storage is needed.

I have a need for speed, and storage. lol. I also have the 128GB card to satisfy that.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.
    Oditius (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts

Do you like KitKat?
    That is unknown, I just got this phone, last android I had was on honeycomb. I rooted it and installed the ViperOne Rom the first day. I am not a great fan of androids, but this phone is great. I feared that KitKat was going to take away the ability of moving apps to the SD card, but that isn't totally true. You can still move most 3rd party apps there. But it is smoother than I thought it would be, and no lag. But then again, I am on a custom Rom

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Do you like KitKat?
    I have a 128gb microSDXC card in my note 3 on KitKat, and it functions for my needs, copying to and from sd card, playing media from sd card.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Funny that you keep avoiding answering the question what the benefit for the user is of blocking user-selected file storage on the external SD card. Because there is no benefit for the user! Quite the opposite: there is only a PITA for the user!

That's a pure assumption on your – and Google's – part. A.k.a. wishful thinking.
    Come back when you've actually asked users that.

And BTW, when users do "reach that point", irrespective of when that is, Google/Android/KitKat has already, in advance, made sure it will be a BIG problem.
    At least Google stuff so it seems you are trying. Because right now you are terribly misinformed about external storage.

You keep repeating vague assertions without any supporting argumentation.
    So you have no case.
    You have no case. You are spewing incorrect assumptions.

Closingracer likes this.

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts

It's easily true enough to make it a big PITA.
    As long as the app doesn't need to stick it's nose in other apps folders, there is no reason you can't transfer the app to the SD card.

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oditius View Post
    As long as the app doesn't need to stick it's nose in other apps folders, there is no reason you can't transfer the app to the SD card.

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
    This is the article they need to look at, KitKat didn't break anything, it changed the way apps write to the micro SD card so apps can't write to any folder.

Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast