I just got Scroogled?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I just went to my gmail that I use all the time (for 4-5 years) and ALL my mail is Gone. Not trash of course, just Everything from my inbox over the last few years.
I followed All the help steps on googles web site and even sent a form asking for my mail to be restored and the computer Insta-replied Sorry, sucks to be you.
I have 2 step authentications enable, text message sign in, app specific passwords etc.

I have checked every single folder, All Mail, trash, spam, you name it, I have clicked it. Their servers just deleted everything from what I can tell.
After checking on my computer, I checked my iphone and all the mail was there until it sync'd and now all of it is also gone from the phone.

Is there a way to get ahold of a human at google instead of some dumb auto reply email garbage?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yikes. Is it at all possible that someone could have accessed your account--like for example, if you might have left a computer logged in, and someone decided to play a stupid prank on you?

Also, did you try reaching someone using this contact info? Contact us – Contact us – Google

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
When did this happen? There's a chance it's just a temporary problem with the server. Either way, you should definitely make some noise: Google needs to be responsive to this sort of issue if they expect people to trust them with their data.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A graphic example of what can happen when you rely on cloud storage.
It's always a good idea to back up important files; either by having one local copy and one in the cloud or having them on multiple local storage mediums, preferably in separate locations (or on two separate clouds, I suppose, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having anything I couldn't lose only in the cloud at this stage).

That said, there's no excuse for Google losing customer data. I don't know what happened in the OP's case, but even if it turns out it wasn't Google's fault, they owe an answer.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I found an 800 number but they are only open 8-5 m-f.
but no. I never log in my accounts on any computer other than mine. I live with my wife, but she can't get into my computer, she doesn;t have my admin password, so no one here to play a joke. and even if someone was here. I have an admin password on my mac that is required if the computer goes to sleep or each time its rebooted.

I am crazy careful with passwords and stuff like that. Put is this way. When yahoo and gmail sent me an email saying I should reset my passwords because of heartbleed. here is what I did. Yes, it was complete over kill.

I reformatted my mac, which is already safer than windows in general. I have firewalls and everything on. use a standard account to do basic stuff on. Only use admin account to change settings.
I have my downloads safety set to Mac App Store ONLY.

Anyways, I reformatted. installed clean OS after wiping hard drive. Didn't log into any account. I just went thru and changed passwords to my entire life. Each and Every password for Every single account is completely different.
After resetting my passwords, I reformatted the drive again, and did another clean install and then logged back into things.
I have 2 step set up on everything possible. I even use authenticators on games and such.

I have a total of 8 email accounts. I use my Gmail for certain things, I use my other accounts for certain things.
I even have an email address that no one in the world knows and I use that one for my bank account. It has 2 step auth. Text message requirements.
I have my bank account require text message auth. as well.

I don't know if any person is as safe with account security as I am. My brother thinks I am a nut case because I am SO careful.
He has sent me emails and I wouldn't click the link in it because I was dubious about it. Of course I would lie and say, oh ya that was cool.. but I wouldn't click the link.

I am just using that as an example. I think I am Overly protective of security. I usually reformat my computer and start clean at least every 3 months.
And I don't visit web sites that aren't legit. I never google a URL. I Type the exact URL in. I never click an ad on Any web site. If I am interested I type the URL in instead of clicking the ad link.

I even remove All history and everything every day. clear out cookies, have do not track on ( not that it helps)
I know I am crazy, but I would just rather be safe than sorry.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a stupid question probably, but in the spirit of being thorough...

You're sure that you're signed into the correct account, right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome