Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question I just got Scroogled?

I just went to my gmail that I use all the time (for 4-5 years) and ALL my mail is Gone. Not trash of course, just Everything from my inbox over the last few years.
    I followed All the help steps on googles web site and even sent a form asking for my mail to be restored and the computer Insta-replied Sorry, sucks to be you.
    I have 2 step authentications enable, text message sign in, app specific passwords etc.

I have checked every single folder, All Mail, trash, spam, you name it, I have clicked it. Their servers just deleted everything from what I can tell.
    After checking on my computer, I checked my iphone and all the mail was there until it sync'd and now all of it is also gone from the phone.

Is there a way to get ahold of a human at google instead of some dumb auto reply email garbage?
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, iPhone 6+, LG G2, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X, Nokia 520, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X..
    Currently using Note 4

Default Re: I just got Scroogled?

Yikes. Is it at all possible that someone could have accessed your account--like for example, if you might have left a computer logged in, and someone decided to play a stupid prank on you?

Also, did you try reaching someone using this contact info? Contact us – Contact us – Google

When did this happen? There's a chance it's just a temporary problem with the server. Either way, you should definitely make some noise: Google needs to be responsive to this sort of issue if they expect people to trust them with their data.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCL View Post
    A graphic example of what can happen when you rely on cloud storage.
    It's always a good idea to back up important files; either by having one local copy and one in the cloud or having them on multiple local storage mediums, preferably in separate locations (or on two separate clouds, I suppose, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having anything I couldn't lose only in the cloud at this stage).

That said, there's no excuse for Google losing customer data. I don't know what happened in the OP's case, but even if it turns out it wasn't Google's fault, they owe an answer.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I found an 800 number but they are only open 8-5 m-f.
    but no. I never log in my accounts on any computer other than mine. I live with my wife, but she can't get into my computer, she doesn;t have my admin password, so no one here to play a joke. and even if someone was here. I have an admin password on my mac that is required if the computer goes to sleep or each time its rebooted.

I am crazy careful with passwords and stuff like that. Put is this way. When yahoo and gmail sent me an email saying I should reset my passwords because of heartbleed. here is what I did. Yes, it was complete over kill.

I reformatted my mac, which is already safer than windows in general. I have firewalls and everything on. use a standard account to do basic stuff on. Only use admin account to change settings.
    I have my downloads safety set to Mac App Store ONLY.

Anyways, I reformatted. installed clean OS after wiping hard drive. Didn't log into any account. I just went thru and changed passwords to my entire life. Each and Every password for Every single account is completely different.
    After resetting my passwords, I reformatted the drive again, and did another clean install and then logged back into things.
    I have 2 step set up on everything possible. I even use authenticators on games and such.

I have a total of 8 email accounts. I use my Gmail for certain things, I use my other accounts for certain things.
    I even have an email address that no one in the world knows and I use that one for my bank account. It has 2 step auth. Text message requirements.
    I have my bank account require text message auth. as well.

I don't know if any person is as safe with account security as I am. My brother thinks I am a nut case because I am SO careful.
    He has sent me emails and I wouldn't click the link in it because I was dubious about it. Of course I would lie and say, oh ya that was cool.. but I wouldn't click the link.

I am just using that as an example. I think I am Overly protective of security. I usually reformat my computer and start clean at least every 3 months.
    And I don't visit web sites that aren't legit. I never google a URL. I Type the exact URL in. I never click an ad on Any web site. If I am interested I type the URL in instead of clicking the ad link.

I even remove All history and everything every day. clear out cookies, have do not track on ( not that it helps)
    I know I am crazy, but I would just rather be safe than sorry.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, iPhone 6+, LG G2, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X, Nokia 520, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X..
    Currently using Note 4

This is a stupid question probably, but in the spirit of being thorough...

You're sure that you're signed into the correct account, right?