Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Sending/Receiving SMS with Different SIM Card

I'm nearing the end of my data for the month, and I don't really want to increase my plan. I have a second SIM card that has plenty of data left. Problem is it's a different phone number, of course.

So, what I'm trying to do is to use that SIM but continue to receive and send texts using my main phone number. I know WhatsApp does this - as long as I log into WhatsApp, it doesn't really care which SIM I'm using. But many people that I text don't have WhatsApp. Or we're not WhatsApp friends.

I'm looking for a solution that would be seamless to the other person - something that would just appear to them that I'm using my normal phone line. Something that would "get" my texts from my main phone account and let me read and reply to them on using my temporary SIM (but that would appear I'm texting from my main original number.)

Is using the Hangouts client for SMS the solution for this? If I'm logged into my Hangouts account on the temporary SIM, will I still be able to text from and receive texts on my existing number?

Sorry if that was confusion. And I understand if it's not possible. Just curious if there was a solution.

Thanks.

Default Re: Sending/Receiving SMS with Different SIM Card

Call forwarding works since it's basically just forwards it to a new number... But if you call them back from the forwarded number obviously it just uses that number you're calling from. I've never heard of text forwarding but you're asking to be able to send and receive text from another number not on the SIM card you're using.

To my knowledge it's not possible.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Google voice can do some of that, ii just don't know if it appears as the forwarded number.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

What carrier do you have? If you have verizon, you can use the Verizon messages app to send texts from your Verizon number on another device, even a tablet

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. I'm looking for a system which will let me text using my number even if I'm using a SIM card that not my number. I guess that's a simple way to explain it. For instance Apple iMessage lets people get their iMessages over data even if there is no SIM card in. But does it let you get true texts? Whatsapp also does this, but both people must be using Whatsapp.

Guess I'm just wondering what happens if I use Hangouts for texts then change SIM's.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok Hangouts won't do texts over data, which I assume means I can't use an alternate SIM to text with my main number. Pretty much what I expected.

If anyone thinks of a good solution let me know!
    Lastly, what's a decent text forwarder?

Posted via Android Central App

There's an app called mysms mirror that does the trick.

You would need to install their main app on your first phone (the phone where your data package is low) and install the mirror app on the other one. All incoming messages (and also calls) will be forwarded to your phone and you can reply with your other phone's number.

Hope this solves your problem