Google has to knock it out of the park at I/O

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Google really has a good opportunity to bring the industry to its knees at I/O. I have been insanely underwhelmed by practically every presser or 'big announcement' this year, and I am crossing my fingers that Google won't disappoint.

I know it is relatively popular to say that innovation in the smartphone market is becoming increasingly scant, but someone has to save the smartphone from turning into the microwave. Just because smartphones are becoming a necessity in big markets, doesn't mean it's time for the industry to slow down. But here you have some of the biggest innovators and names in tech conceding that nothing right now is big enough to entice smartphone buyers.

I was struck by the underwhelming nature of Samsung and HTC's press conferences earlier this year, and to a degree LG (although I have to say - to my surprise, LG far and wide exceeded expectations with the G3 rollout). While I understood them from a business perspective - specifically, Samsung's controversial rollout of the Galaxy S5 - they did not innovate or choose to move Android in the right direction. Neither did HTC's. Sure, they excelled on the design front - that talking point has been played out - but they did not do anything to better theirs or Android's fortunes this year.

And while Apple's iPhone unveilings are probably still months away, it's clear they are playing catch up - on the size front, on the multitasking front, et cetera, et cetera. Apple is emphasizing design as innovation has dried up. Forget Microsoft, who is lost in translation trying to fix the Windows 8 fiasco (never mind the mess that was the Nokia X unveiling) and forget Amazon, who went from player to non-player in a matter of a press conference (as I said in another thread, the Fire Phone's features are so gimmicky that they make Samsung's gimmicks look tame).

Google is really in a position to knock one out of the park. I was impressed by Android Wear, but I truly think the innovation has to come in the smartphone department. The trusted rumor mill (AKA EVLeaks) says that the Nexus is dead and Android Silver is on the way, albeit not for 2014, but hopefully Google can bring some innovation on the software front. Google Now is ridiculously underrated and already offers an array of contextual awareness features that has changed how I use my phone - on the way to work, I check commute times via Google Now; I get a lot of information out of Google Now, so much that I almost wish it was front and center on my home page. Lowering the hardware requirements with KitKat means that Google can bring a more unified experience to more phones. They really have an opportunity to take Android to the next level.

Maybe Google Now will be the centerpiece. Maybe Google will find a way to bring fragmentation down to its knees once and for all. Maybe Google will overhaul the look of Android and bring Google Now front and center. Whatever they do, I think - given the way the industry is right now - they are really poised to wake up the smartphone industry at I/O. Crossing my fingers they won't disappoint.

What do you think?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Apple is playing catch up. I think there will be a little bit of delay before their versions of the same features found on Android become stable.

As for Google and I/O...I would rather wait until the meeting is done. I am hoping for ART to be more of a solid player. Meaning bring it more to the center of the OS and not the beta that it is now. Other than that, I am not sure what else to expect.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
knock it out of the park as regards smartphones? just not seeing it. i'm thinking google is more intent on knocking the "internet of things" out of the park.

as far as smartphones go, i'm thinking google will be trying to advance voiceless controls, as it did with motorola and the moto x. (maybe google now fits into this) not sure if that is considered "knocking it out of the park", because that already exists, and quite frankly the general public doesn't seem to care very much. They should care, but novelty features like fingerprint unlocks and eyeball tracking, things that you use once, seem to sell better.:(

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they do, I am still upset there aren't any decent Android phone options with what I want. I love Android, but this phablet craze is annoying.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they do, I am still upset there aren't any decent Android phone options with what I want. I love Android, but this phablet craze is annoying.

? Not getting you there... The only thing I can think of is that you want a smaller device. Z1 Compact? The 'mini' line that you can get from LG, Samsung, HTC.... The Moto E? Your frustration might be more with the choices that carriers give their customers because the last thing that I would expect anyone to complain about is device choice when it comes to Android (in fact, many complain that there are TOO many choices).

But... back to the topic... I don't suspect we'll see the same lukewarm disappointment that we witnessed at WWDC.... should be fairly interesting. Google's been running around all over the place, with tons of forward looking projects (no, Apple, allowing 3rd party keyboards isn't innovation)... I haven't hear a lot of rumblings about a 'big' announcement... like a new device/major version combo.... of course, that just might mean we'll be getting one.

Oh, ART IS going to be taking center stage with Android sooner rather than later..... the next major release, from the looks of it, will not only switch to ART as the default runtime, but most likely drop dalvik all together.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
? Not getting you there... The only thing I can think of is that you want a smaller device. Z1 Compact? The 'mini' line that you can get from LG, Samsung, HTC.... The Moto E? Your frustration might be more with the choices that carriers give their customers because the last thing that I would expect anyone to complain about is device choice when it comes to Android (in fact, many complain that there are TOO many choices).

No device choice is my annoyance with Android right now. I either have to give up micro SD card storage or get a phablet. Those are my choices. The Mini versions of phones are not high end. I want a high end Android device on my carrier of choice, but I can't. So I am stuck on a Droid Razr M for the forseeable future because of lack of choice. Sony devices are hard to be had in the U.S. and cost $400+ unlocked, no thank you. Android has moved to phablets indefinitely for high end devices, and that is my beef with my Android.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid you're not going to be happy with IO then. ART is basically going to be the main attraction and the rest will probably be iterative stuff. But 5" and higher phones are here to stay in flagships my friend, until we all get cybernetic implants that allow us to see a HUD inside our eyeballs 😉

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid you're not going to be happy with IO then. ART is basically going to be the main attraction and the rest will probably be iterative stuff. But 5" and higher phones are here to stay in flagships my friend, until we all get cybernetic implants that allow us to see a HUD inside our eyeballs 😉

It's a shame, because phablets are really unusable in my small hands.

Posted via Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm wanting to see more how deep the KitKat hole goes as far as what it'll allow one to modify on their devices! I'd love for their to be something available for any user to get the pure Google experience on their devices that goes beyond just being able to change to the Google now launcher!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm wanting to see more how deep the KitKat hole goes as far as what it'll allow one to modify on their devices!

Straight up KitKat doesn't have a lot in there.... configuration options-wise, it is pretty sparse and there isn't a lot in there to fuss with. That's why something like Xposed and modules like Gravity Box and XGEL are so popular. Granted, there is a pretty sizable community that finds the simplicity of KitKat refreshing and don't touch a thing. Others (like yours truly) will unlock, root and either use Xposed to take the stock build and modify a bunch or go in with a custom ROM that has the features they want baked in.

But I have a feeling we might get Android 4.5 at I/O... over the weekend the Nexus 8 tablet leaks came flooding in, and Google does like to release a new version of Android with each new Nexus (I think every Nexus device was co-released with a new major version of Android).

That's cool.... the instant I saw those Nexus 8 leaks, I thought, "I wonder what 4.5/5.0 will be?"