Location services, do you leave on?

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Just curious how many people always leave location services on and how many only turn it on as-needed. I'm considering lately leaving it running 24/7 just for more contextual uses but I'm concerned about it being a battery killer

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time. Comes in handy in case you misplace the phone

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I leave mines off all the time outside of navigating which is few and far between. Leaving it on is just another thing on that can affect battery life negatively.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine on simply for the fact of Google and it's intuitive services.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I would have to shut it off and watch the battery. But since I don't have a problem with making my battery last all day, I have no need to check.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time. Comes in handy in case you misplace the phone

though I've never misplaced my phone (knock on wood) I leave my location services on for this same reason!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It does have some impact on battery, but not much. With my usage habits, I barely see it. Your results may vary, of course, but if you're curious try it. You can always shut it off again if you want.

Botox

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I turn it off in an attempt to supply google with least information possible. The things google sometimes throws in my face are sometimes scary. It knows way too much about me already.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I turn it on when using apps with coupons (mcdonald's, 7-11, etc) then turn it off when I'm done.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I turn it off in an attempt to supply google with least information possible. The things google sometimes throws in my face are sometimes scary. It knows way too much about me already.
that's why I do it as well, I'm not sure yet how I feel about changing my mind for more contextual information

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on on all my devices. It hasn't seemed to have an effect on battery life for me.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Since reading this thread I've had a bit of a play with location services on, and off, and if there is a hit on battery life it doesn't seem to be significant, I couldn't really see any difference.

I leave it on and my battery life seems fine. My Google overlord needs to know where I am at all times.

Yeah, according to Google's location history https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0/ through my phone's web browser, this is where I've been the last month when I had the phone with me [read: when I didn't forget it and left it on the kitchen bench], and with location services on which was most of the time:

Screenshot_2014-07-04-17-28-14_zpsb8149032.jpg