Meg Whitman wants to take big steps and the release of aviate today seems like a nice Launcher for a yahoo phone. I wonder if this in the works. I bet if they released a moto G priced phone with Android store available it could be a successful option for yahoo. It's a nice interface for people who feel confused using Android, Imo. I've used plenty of different launchers and this is a nice one I think.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-23-2014 08:43 PM
    Sorry, nitpicking here, but I think you mean Marissa Mayer. Whitman heads HP.
    ddonahueiup likes this.
    06-23-2014 08:54 PM
    Haha my bad, thanks for the correction

06-23-2014 09:02 PM
    Yahoo phone? Next can we get an AOL phone that makes the classic dial up noises when it's powering on and says, "You got mail!"
    06-23-2014 09:04 PM
    Haha I think yahoo is a little more relevant than AOL.

06-23-2014 09:07 PM
    Everybody wants a phone now. Though a Yahoo Phone with Google Play Services would be cool.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    06-24-2014 09:45 PM
    Problem is ecosystem. The way I see it, even previously major players can't tap into the market with their own platforms - e.g. Blackberry, who has all but conceded the enterprise race to Android and (smartly) opened up BB to Android apps, and Nokia, who had to settle with Microsoft.

Unlike Amazon, I don't think Yahoo is in the position with its shareholders to make such a gamble. Also, I feel like entering the US market would be such a disaster for Yahoo. Look at Motorola. Even with Google's backing, the X has been a commercial flop. And they're conceding that the US market is tough and with the G succeeding in Latin America and elsewhere, they don't seem to be enthusiastic about the US market anymore.

I think Yahoo is doing a splendid job with apps - their Weather app is my go to and Aviate definitely looks like it will be a hit. And Yahoo Screen and Yahoo Sports have great interfaces. I hope Yahoo continues to build this segment and focuses on what it knows best right now. That seems to be a winning strategy and I feel like entering the smartphone market would cripple them for good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
    06-25-2014 05:11 PM