Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default how long will i continue to get updates?

    Seriously. Google watch. My current watch has no problems since there are no bad "updates"
    I'm thinking about buying this watch, but I'm seriously thinking about not because of the lack of updates and how quickly google kills their products (google tv anyone?)

    Before with all my toys (computers, tvs etc etc.) it lasted as long as the circuitry inside lasted i.e. NES, SNS, N64 etc etc.

    Now, it's a matter of updates. My device will be usable for the next X amount of years (hell, not even 18 months cause google always drops the ball.)

    Google has no problem providing updates to chrome uses on windows xp, but god forbid this company provide updates for their nexus phones.

    I don't think I'm willing to buy a new watch, new phone, new thermostat, new fridge, new car, new irrigation system, new washer, dryer, dishwasher etc etc. just because google "drops" support like it always does ever 1 year or so.

    And don't say "Root," if I'm paying for a device, I'm paying for an O.S. designed by google to keep pushing updates for a reasonable amount of time, geez windows xp gave out a solid 12 years of update support
  2. #2  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Are you saying that a Galaxy Nexus no longer works because it no longer receives official Android updates?
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Are you saying that a Galaxy Nexus no longer works because it no longer receives official Android updates?
    I had a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. There was a problem with the update on the radio bands so I never got 4.3.

    Whether it's Sprint's fault or Google's fault is up in the air. But yes, I'd say the device is nearly unusable since it frequently displays an update to install but ends in an error.

    Is the device unusable? Depends on your thoughts on certain security bugs such as heartbleed, etc etc.

    I believe even Microsoft cropped out the XP patches after they ended support to fix that bug. Did Google?

    I'm as anti-apple as it gets and if Google continues this path, I may switch sides. I'd rather take a half baked update over no update at all.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I had a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. There was a problem with the update on the radio bands so I never got 4.3.

    Whether it's Sprint's fault or Google's fault is up in the air. But yes, I'd say the device is nearly unusable since it frequently displays an update to install but ends in an error.

    Is the device unusable? Depends on your thoughts on certain security bugs such as heartbleed, etc etc.

    I believe even Microsoft cropped out the XP patches after they ended support to fix that bug. Did Google?

    I'm as anti-apple as it gets and if Google continues this path, I may switch sides. I'd rather take a half baked update over no update at all.
    Between Texas Instruments and the Galaxy Nexus being old and the fact if you got the device, you should be eligible for an upgrade now or soon, what's the real problem?

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Seriously. Google watch. My current watch has no problems since there are no bad "updates"
    I'm thinking about buying this watch, but I'm seriously thinking about not because of the lack of updates and how quickly google kills their products (google tv anyone?)

    Before with all my toys (computers, tvs etc etc.) it lasted as long as the circuitry inside lasted i.e. NES, SNS, N64 etc etc.

    Now, it's a matter of updates. My device will be usable for the next X amount of years (hell, not even 18 months cause google always drops the ball.)

    Google has no problem providing updates to chrome uses on windows xp, but god forbid this company provide updates for their nexus phones.

    I don't think I'm willing to buy a new watch, new phone, new thermostat, new fridge, new car, new irrigation system, new washer, dryer, dishwasher etc etc. just because google "drops" support like it always does ever 1 year or so.

    And don't say "Root," if I'm paying for a device, I'm paying for an O.S. designed by google to keep pushing updates for a reasonable amount of time, geez windows xp gave out a solid 12 years of update support
    What are you talking about? Those games systems had no internet access. Lol. Windows xp was long overdue... And that's an is not a phone. Technology is moving quickly they need to move on also lol.. They aren't going to keep updating a 5 year old phone when it can't even run the newest update because of hardware limitations.

    Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I had a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. There was a problem with the update on the radio bands so I never got 4.3.

    Whether it's Sprint's fault or Google's fault is up in the air. But yes, I'd say the device is nearly unusable since it frequently displays an update to install but ends in an error.

    Is the device unusable? Depends on your thoughts on certain security bugs such as heartbleed, etc etc.

    I believe even Microsoft cropped out the XP patches after they ended support to fix that bug. Did Google?

    I'm as anti-apple as it gets and if Google continues this path, I may switch sides. I'd rather take a half baked update over no update at all.
    Almost all phones are the same. Most people should upgrade at least every 3 years.

    Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    I can understand some of the concern. Did Google actually announce that GOOGLE is releasing a watch? I thought there were 3 big names releasing this summer - Motorola, LG and Samsung.

    Consider also that the availability of an update to a device is dependent upon the chip manufacturer supporting the OS with updates to the drivers. Yes, Android utilizes drivers, you just don't see it like you do with Windows. In the end the continued updates to the OS on a device is dependent upon the chip and device manufacturer more than Google itself.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    What are you talking about? Those games systems had no internet access. Lol. Windows xp was long overdue... And that's an is not a phone. Technology is moving quickly they need to move on also lol.. They aren't going to keep updating a 5 year old phone when it can't even run the newest update because of hardware limitations.

    Posted via Android Central App
    wasn't kitkat supposed to "optimize" the user expierence for low end (512 mb ram) phones? Oh that worked out great...

    Funny how the Galaxy nexus ( a phone two years old now) is still by specs considered a "low range to mid range" tech by 2014 standards.

    I'd put the specs somewhere between a Moto G and a Moto X, so how exactly is this phone "old" by tech standards?

    Between the Nexus Q, Google tv, and the other nexii, has google ever gave support past 1 year??? Whether you guys admit it or not, phone "specs" have sort of plateaued in the last few years.
  9. #9  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Between Texas Instruments and the Galaxy Nexus being old and the fact if you got the device, you should be eligible for an upgrade now or soon, what's the real problem?

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    This right here.

    A big reason why phones like the Galaxy Nexus aren't getting KitKat officially is because the kernel support is not longer there from TI.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    wasn't kitkat supposed to "optimize" the user expierence for low end (512 mb ram) phones? Oh that worked out great...

    Funny how the Galaxy nexus ( a phone two years old now) is still by specs considered a "low range to mid range" tech by 2014 standards.

    I'd put the specs somewhere between a Moto G and a Moto X, so how exactly is this phone "old" by tech standards?

    Between the Nexus Q, Google tv, and the other nexii, has google ever gave support past 1 year??? Whether you guys admit it or not, phone "specs" have sort of plateaued in the last few years.
    *sigh* Texas Instruments didn't update the drivers for the Galaxy Nexus, so it can no longer be supported. Texas is out of the smartphone game. Also the Galaxy Nexus itself is now realistically over 2 years old. It premiered back in late 2011 on Verizon.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    *sigh* Texas Instruments didn't update the drivers for the Galaxy Nexus, so it can no longer be supported. Texas is out of the smartphone game. Also the Galaxy Nexus itself is now realistically over 2 years old. It premiered back in late 2011 on Verizon.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    So after 2 years Google just decides to stop supporting their older devices. Not only the Gnexus, but what was the reason for Nexus Q, etc. etc. And even the Nexus S. You cant simply tell me that the phones are "too old." Not everyone upgrades their phone every year, or two years like most of the people on here

    Even if "two years" is old. Apple still half updates their phone to 4 years. Personally, I shouldn't have to "upgrade" my phone ($$$$) just to continue to get the bare minimum security updates. I thought Google was in the software business, not the hardware business..... What am I paying Google for?

    Phones aside, I'm thinking about purchasing a Nest and a chromecast. Do I have to worry that Google may prematurely pull the plug and render such devices inoperable? These two devices are purely operated by the cloud and I wonder how the heck can an HDMI device and a thermostat become "obsolete?"

    It's not like we're jumping to 4K tvs anytime soon (or whatever silly marketing scheme) or that thermostats are becoming more efficient at calculating what 72* F is....
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    Almost all phones are the same. Most people should upgrade at least every 3 years.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Say I purchased my Gnex in 2013 (a phone that was released in 2012.) By your logic, I should have 2 years more of life left in my phone.

    Not everyone buys their phone right after they're released....
  13. #13  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    So after 2 years Google just decides to stop supporting their older devices. Not only the Gnexus, but what was the reason for Nexus Q, etc. etc. And even the Nexus S. You cant simply tell me that the phones are "too old." Not everyone upgrades their phone every year, or two years like most of the people on here

    Even if "two years" is old. Apple still half updates their phone to 4 years. Personally, I shouldn't have to "upgrade" my phone ($$$$) just to continue to get the bare minimum security updates. I thought Google was in the software business, not the hardware business..... What am I paying Google for?

    Phones aside, I'm thinking about purchasing a Nest and a chromecast. Do I have to worry that Google may prematurely pull the plug and render such devices inoperable? These two devices are purely operated by the cloud and I wonder how the heck can an HDMI device and a thermostat become "obsolete?"

    It's not like we're jumping to 4K tvs anytime soon (or whatever silly marketing scheme) or that thermostats are becoming more efficient at calculating what 72* F is....
    *sigh* All Android devices get support for only 18 months. I thought this was common knowledge. Again, the main reason why the GNex didn't get KitKat was because of lack of proper processor drivers from Texas Instruments. Not Googles fault. You can argue all day and curse Google all you want, but this is not Google's fault.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Say I purchased my Gnex in 2013 (a phone that was released in 2012.) By your logic, I should have 2 years more of life left in my phone.

    Not everyone buys their phone right after they're released....
    Why did you purchase an almost 2 year phone? Was it a price factor or something else? Because there were multiple phones better than a GNex last year.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    *sigh* All Android devices get support for only 18 months. I thought this was common knowledge. Again, the main reason why the GNex didn't get KitKat was because of lack of proper processor drivers from Texas Instruments. Not Googles fault. You can argue all day and curse Google all you want, but this is not Google's fault.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    The GS4 is still selling at most retailers. By the "18 month" logic, Samsung should end support in the next 4-5 months.... The 18 month rule is a bunch of bull. Most carriers still sell the S3. If they're still selling the phone, the manufacturer should still supply updates, right?



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Why did you purchase an almost 2 year phone? Was it a price factor or something else? Because there were multiple phones better than a GNex last year.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    Sprint launched in in May 2012. I bought it in January 2013. I must be mistaken, but that's only a "one year" old phone, right?
  16. #16  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    *sigh* All Android devices get support for only 18 months. I thought this was common knowledge. Again, the main reason why the GNex didn't get KitKat was because of lack of proper processor drivers from Texas Instruments. Not Googles fault. You can argue all day and curse Google all you want, but this is not Google's fault.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    Your blanket statement is incorrect.

    Punit Soni pledged 2 year support for the Moto X (and Moto G).

    Google released the Nexus 7 (2012) on July 13, 2012. In it's 23rd month, it received an update to 4.4.4.

    Google released the Nexus 4 on November 13, 2012. In it's 19th month, it received an update to 4.4.4.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  17. #17  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Seriously. Google watch. My current watch has no problems since there are no bad "updates"
    I'm thinking about buying this watch, but I'm seriously thinking about not because of the lack of updates and how quickly google kills their products (google tv anyone?)

    Before with all my toys (computers, tvs etc etc.) it lasted as long as the circuitry inside lasted i.e. NES, SNS, N64 etc etc.

    Now, it's a matter of updates. My device will be usable for the next X amount of years (hell, not even 18 months cause google always drops the ball.)

    Google has no problem providing updates to chrome uses on windows xp, but god forbid this company provide updates for their nexus phones.

    I don't think I'm willing to buy a new watch, new phone, new thermostat, new fridge, new car, new irrigation system, new washer, dryer, dishwasher etc etc. just because google "drops" support like it always does ever 1 year or so.

    And don't say "Root," if I'm paying for a device, I'm paying for an O.S. designed by google to keep pushing updates for a reasonable amount of time, geez windows xp gave out a solid 12 years of update support
    They will guarantee that it'll work as it does the day you bought it. They don't really owe you "updates' beyond that. This is normal for any appliance. When you buy a car, they don't guarantee you an engine upgrade later on. No company is going to feel obligated to provide product updates to you for a decade.

    Thats even true of software. Chrome probably won't work on old PCs either.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    They will guarantee that it'll work as it does the day you bought it. They don't really owe you "updates' beyond that. This is normal for any appliance. When you buy a car, they don't guarantee you an engine upgrade later on. No company is going to feel obligated to provide product updates to you for a decade.

    Thats even true of software. Chrome probably won't work on old PCs either.
    How can you say they'll guarantee it'll work if my phone is prone to various security risks such as heartbleed? My microwave or refrigerator for that matter isn't prone to those security risks

    Yet Google will provide support for chrome for XP until next year, a year after windows has ended support.

    When I buy a car and they need to "update" the firmware of the ECU, they can still do that 5, 10, 15 years later, no? Oh wait, last I checked, Toyota did that for X million cars years later......

    A "fairer" way of looking at it is how about continuing updates 18 months/2 years after they STOP selling the device.
  19. #19  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    How can you say they'll guarantee it'll work if my phone is prone to various security risks such as heartbleed?
    They also can't guarantee that a nuclear EMP won't fry it. There's a lot they can't guarantee. Your demands seem unreasonable to me.

    No other product has similar guarantees. The people who made your refrigerator could not guarantee that the government would not outlaw Freon. The maker of your gas stove did not guarantee that the new house you bought would not have a gas connection. The maker of your car did not guarantee that gas prices would not rise. The maker of your car stereo did not guarantee that people would use CDs forever instead of going to digital formats.

    It's a risk you're choosing to take when you buy the product. Sorry.

    A "fairer" way of looking at it is how about continuing updates 18 months/2 years after they STOP selling the device.
    They only owe you a device that is operational for the life of the product, which they define when you buy it. IMO, thats fair. After that, you're on your own.

    My Droid 1 will still work just fine in 2014. I can still use it on Verizon's network.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    They also can't guarantee that a nuclear EMP won't fry it. There's a lot they can't guarantee. Your demands seem unreasonable to me.

    No other product has similar guarantees. The people who made your refrigerator could not guarantee that the government would not outlaw Freon. The maker of your gas stove did not guarantee that the new house you bought would not have a gas connection. The maker of your car did not guarantee that gas prices would not rise. The maker of your car stereo did not guarantee that people would use CDs forever instead of going to digital formats.

    It's a risk you're choosing to take when you buy the product. Sorry.


    They only owe you a device that is operational for the life of the product, which they define when you buy it. IMO, thats fair. After that, you're on your own.

    My Droid 1 will still work just fine in 2014. I can still use it on Verizon's network.
    Funny, it's not the updates and eye candy that's as serious as some of the security updates.

    Granted, Apple doesn't add some of the "eye candy" to their older devices, they do patch security holes and last I checked, the majority of their updates go for devices that are 4 years old. Yet Google has problems keepign support for 18 months AFTER they launch the device, whereas Apple keeps support for 2 years AFTER they stop selling such device.

    I mean doesn't that make more sense? If I go sign a 2 year contract agreement on a phone that's 2 years old, after my contract's up, the device is no longer supported. whereas, Google is all over the place.

    Phones aside, look at their other devices that should reasonably have a shelf life "longer than 2 years." Who knows how long support for their nest will last. Do you mean to tell me that it's "reasonable" to change your thermostat or "chromecast" every 2 years??

    or the google watch, do you mean to tell me that people should buy new watches every 18 months? Man that's a lot of $$$ to buy a new thermostat, watch, hdmi dongle, tablet every 18 months....

    18 months vs 4 years... mhm....

    I bought a Gnexus brand new from Sprint in Jan. 2013. They stopped updates in October 2013. Clearly, I got the short end of the deal, no? I mean, Samsung never told me the expected "operational life."

    When I buy a laptop, Windows guarantees updates to a certain year (which is pretty far off in the future) and if I want more updates, I pay a small fee and what do you know? more updates. No exchange of hardware necessary.... I believe we can both come to the conclusion that hardware CPU/ram in smartphones has basically "peaked" in a sense.....
  21. #21  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Funny, it's not the updates and eye candy that's as serious as some of the security updates.
    Guess you better go back to feature phones then eh? If security is that big a deal to you, maybe smartphones are a bad idea. All smartphones will have these vulnerabilities and limitations...just a matter of degree.

    Granted, Apple doesn't add some of the "eye candy" to their older devices, they do patch security holes and last I checked, the majority of their updates go for devices that are 4 years old.
    If that is acceptable to you, then I'd say get an iPhone. Thats part of what makes them more expensive.

    Most people are not going to have the same phone in 4 years. Thats why no one cares about this stuff. Even iPhone users will not have their same iPhone in 4 years the vast majority of the time.

    Yet Google has problems keepign support for 18 months AFTER they launch the device, whereas Apple keeps support for 2 years AFTER they stop selling such device.
    Um...My Nexus 4 is now on 4.4.4. It was launched in Nov 2012. If your theory is correct, the Nexus 4 should not be getting "Android L", right?

    The 2012 nexus was released in OCT 2012...it also has 4.4.4. Do you think it will not get Android L?

    Phones aside, look at their other devices that should reasonably have a shelf life "longer than 2 years." Who knows how long support for their nest will last. Do you mean to tell me that it's "reasonable" to change your thermostat or "chromecast" every 2 years??
    How likely is it that Nest will need updates after you buy it?

    or the google watch, do you mean to tell me that people should buy new watches every 18 months? Man that's a lot of $$$ to buy a new thermostat, watch, hdmi dongle, tablet every 18 months....
    Who is forcing you to buy it?

    I bought a Gnexus brand new from Sprint in Jan. 2013. They stopped updates in October 2013. Clearly, I got the short end of the deal, no?
    The Galaxy Nexus was released in Nov 2011. Support ended in Oct 2013. That's 25 months. Not a lot of people will have the same phone that long.

    I believe we can both come to the conclusion that hardware CPU/ram in smartphones has basically "peaked" in a sense.....
    Why?
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Your blanket statement is incorrect.

    Punit Soni pledged 2 year support for the Moto X (and Moto G).

    Google released the Nexus 7 (2012) on July 13, 2012. In it's 23rd month, it received an update to 4.4.4.

    Google released the Nexus 4 on November 13, 2012. In it's 19th month, it received an update to 4.4.4.
    Ah, those are Moto and Nexus devices though, the cream of the crop for Android updates. I guess I should have said majority Android devices get supported for 18 months.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    The GS4 is still selling at most retailers. By the "18 month" logic, Samsung should end support in the next 4-5 months.... The 18 month rule is a bunch of bull. Most carriers still sell the S3. If they're still selling the phone, the manufacturer should still supply updates, right?



    - - - Updated - - -



    Sprint launched in in May 2012. I bought it in January 2013. I must be mistaken, but that's only a "one year" old phone, right?
    The GS4 is only a year old and the GS3 is just now getting the KitKat update.

    Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Funny, it's not the updates and eye candy that's as serious as some of the security updates.

    Granted, Apple doesn't add some of the "eye candy" to their older devices, they do patch security holes and last I checked, the majority of their updates go for devices that are 4 years old. Yet Google has problems keepign support for 18 months AFTER they launch the device, whereas Apple keeps support for 2 years AFTER they stop selling such device.

    I mean doesn't that make more sense? If I go sign a 2 year contract agreement on a phone that's 2 years old, after my contract's up, the device is no longer supported. whereas, Google is all over the place.

    Phones aside, look at their other devices that should reasonably have a shelf life "longer than 2 years." Who knows how long support for their nest will last. Do you mean to tell me that it's "reasonable" to change your thermostat or "chromecast" every 2 years??

    or the google watch, do you mean to tell me that people should buy new watches every 18 months? Man that's a lot of $$$ to buy a new thermostat, watch, hdmi dongle, tablet every 18 months....

    18 months vs 4 years... mhm....

    I bought a Gnexus brand new from Sprint in Jan. 2013. They stopped updates in October 2013. Clearly, I got the short end of the deal, no? I mean, Samsung never told me the expected "operational life."

    When I buy a laptop, Windows guarantees updates to a certain year (which is pretty far off in the future) and if I want more updates, I pay a small fee and what do you know? more updates. No exchange of hardware necessary.... I believe we can both come to the conclusion that hardware CPU/ram in smartphones has basically "peaked" in a sense.....
    I think this is more the fault of the carriers. They decided on the standard 2 year upgrade cycle and the manufacturers are happy to keep building new phones with new hardware upgrades. It's the fault of the carriers setting a two year cycle, and of not contracting with manufacturers to limit their modifications to the Android OS.

    Google has been providing the OS. They've kept their hands off what the carriers do, and what the manufacturers do. But, they have begun listening to us and our complaints and frustrations with what the carriers and manufacturers get away with. That's the whole idea behind their Android "silver" thing - standardizing the software on our devices so that it *can* be updated and so that it will last longer than a two year cycle. Google are the last ones to blame unless you want to blame them for not having set limits in the first place. But this is still the wild west in phone tech, with the market determining who wins and who loses.

    The more people resist and protest the carrier 2 year cycle and bloatware from them and the manufacturers, the faster that will change. The options exist right now. Nexus, GPEditions, Moto, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Blu, Oppo, etc. And prepaid carrier service which keeps the carriers' paws off our phones. This is a great time in cell history, and I'm glad I got to see it so far.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: how long will i continue to get updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Guess you better go back to feature phones then eh? If security is that big a deal to you, maybe smartphones are a bad idea. All smartphones will have these vulnerabilities and limitations...just a matter of degree.


    If that is acceptable to you, then I'd say get an iPhone. Thats part of what makes them more expensive.

    Most people are not going to have the same phone in 4 years. Thats why no one cares about this stuff. Even iPhone users will not have their same iPhone in 4 years the vast majority of the time.


    Um...My Nexus 4 is now on 4.4.4. It was launched in Nov 2012. If your theory is correct, the Nexus 4 should not be getting "Android L", right?

    The 2012 nexus was released in OCT 2012...it also has 4.4.4. Do you think it will not get Android L?


    There's small security bugs then there's "big" ones. Do you really think that a huge bug like heartbleed has been fixed on the majority of smartphones? 4.4.4 fixed heartbleed, what percentage of android users have nexi/moto x phones? like 5%?

    Android phones are just as much and if not, more expensive than Apple phones. a 5s costs $650. same price as a GS5, so no it's not more expensive.

    I didn't say the "18 month rule."

    I can understand the Gnex fiasco, TI left the mobile processor game making it extremely difficult to upgrade it.
    However, Qualcomm is still in the game and is likely to be in the game for the foreseeable future. I don't see why the Nexus 4 doesn't have the capability of running the next few versions of android. It has a more than capable CPU/GPU combo as well as a healthy chunk of 2 gb ram. Shoot, if moto can continue support for the moto x, a slower phone than the nexus 4, I see no reason why nexus won't get the update unless Google just abandons support "forcing" users to buy new phones.

    Yet I'm simply saying that Google cannot keep using the "hardware requirements" in order to stop providing support. Mobile processors have "plateaued" in the last few years and the only exciting thing about new processors are the decreased energy usage/heat production by using smaller chips or the better GPUs.

    Suffice it to say, that if Google abandons support for my Nexus 7 (2013) and my Nexus 5 before let's say 2016. I may just switch to Apple. I bought Nexi for the sole purpose of a) faster, speedier updates and b) for continued support beyond whatever Samsung/HTC/LG/motorola will provide.

    I suppose you can always "root" but I shouldn't have to do what I am paying Google to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Z1 to s5 should I switch or stay with what I have?
    By Frazzel 001 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 01:51 AM
  2. Downloading a update right now.
    By dkjames71 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 05:42 PM
  3. Getting to the unlock screen
    By LakeofGlass in forum LG Optimus L
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 02:05 AM
  4. How do I retrieve chat history?
    By chrishaana in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM
  5. will not properly go into landscape mode
    By AgentMissa in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions