Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Default Do Not Disturb

I have been an Android owner for about 4 years now and I am really attracted to the iPhone feature of Do Not Disturb. I truly dislike active notifications. I work on a desktop 8-10 hours per day and like quiet time when I get home. Is there anyway I can setup on Android a Do Not Disturb feature? I would like to be able to browse the mobile (not WiFi) internet and use Bluetooth while turning off texts, emails, and phone calls.

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Do Not Disturb

It's possible to turn notifications off as a whole currently and in the Android L preview there is a way to do it as a toggle and/or on a normalized schedule or for a specified duraiton.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Yeah it would be great if it sent all calls to voicemail and did not display any texts. I essentially want a switch that turns my cellphone into a tablet on a data plan.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

I just decided to buy an IPhone. The notification system for Android has become too annoying and intrusive.

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

That's one thing I really miss from iOS. I had scheduled do not disturb every night. With my N5 I put it in airplane mode and turn on wifi.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    That's one thing I really miss from iOS. I had scheduled do not disturb every night. With my N5 I put it in airplane mode and turn on wifi.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it is the thing that draws me to iOS the most. That and battery life. I never thought I would buy an iPhone, but Android notifications are just too overwhelming. I do not need a glaring notification for every email and text received.

Quote Originally Posted by rkeenan View Post
    Yeah, it is the thing that draws me to iOS the most. That and battery life. I never thought I would buy an iPhone, but Android notifications are just too overwhelming. I do not need a glaring notification for every email and text received.
    Not to dissuade you from the iPhone, but you know that you can customize the heck out of Android notifications, right? You can mute texts from certain numbers and emails from certain senders, change how each app notifies you, and even disable notifications entirely. The lack of DND is a conspicuous omission, I agree, but there are apps that help to address that, too.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Not to dissuade you from the iPhone, but you know that you can customize the heck out of Android notifications, right? You can mute texts from certain numbers and emails from certain senders, change how each app notifies you, and even disable notifications entirely. The lack of DND is a conspicuous omission, I agree, but there are apps that help to address that, too.
    Yeah, I know it is possible, but it is a big pain. To go through and do it for every app every night is ridiculous. I have tried apps like "No Disturb" but they are not as efficient or effective.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Phone preference is really just a subjective thing and I feel I should carry an iPhone for a few weeks to see if meets my needs.