Any good phones out there with wifi and good cameras that don't need a data plan?

dennador

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I can't afford my data plan anymore, and since wifi is just about everywhere now, I really need a phone with wifi and a good camera, but AT&T won't recognize as a smartphone and charge me for data.

Does anybody know of any good ones? preferably with touchscreen. qwerty keyboard would be nice too.

I used the old Nokia E71x for a while, but the camera is pretty bad. I'm looking for 8Mp or better.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe data isn't segregated into phone types at AT&T anymore, so a data plan is a data plan is a data plan. In other words, what phone you have doesn't matter: you either have a data plan or you don't.

Unfortunately, neither AT&T nor T-Mobile offer a postpaid plan with no data, so if you want to save that money you'll probably have to switch to prepaid.

You can get unlimited domestic talk and SMS on the AT&T network with Cricket for $25 a month. Simple Mobile offers the same price on the T-Mobile network. Remember that no data plan means no MMS.

Whatever phone you use, smart or otherwise, then just won't pull data over the network. It will work fine for calling and texting, but you'll need WiFi for data.

As for what phone to buy, do you have a price range in mind?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, neither AT&T nor T-Mobile offer a postpaid plan with no data, so if you want to save that money you'll probably have to switch to prepaid.

Not true. With T-Mobile you could sign up and get 1 GB free of data and then change it to no data if you wanted (see below)

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1403989258356.jpg
    1403989258356.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
With T-Mobile you could sign up and get 1 GB free of data and then change it to no data if you wanted.
Interesting. What would you pay per month, then? After the first month, I mean, for which I presume you'd be stuck with whatever data plan you bought in the first place.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. What would you pay per month, then? After the first month, I mean, for which I presume you'd be stuck with whatever data plan you bought in the first place.

Well my plan is 80 a month. So if I set it to no data it would drop to 50 a month for unlimited talk and text.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
AT&T pre paid Go phone. I pay $60 a month for 2 gig data and last month the data limit was increased. I have no complaints with this plan at all. I pay at the kiosk-- no taxes or additional fees . I have a Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i have a moto x through republic wireless. unlimited calls and texts. no data. 10 bucks a month.

pretty good phone. can't really comment on the camera as i don't use it.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the point... But I've seen some who really just want no data /shrug.
Fair enough. I was focusing on the price aspect, since the OP is switching for cost reasons.

i have a moto x through republic wireless. unlimited calls and texts. no data. 10 bucks a month.
Good call. I would tend to shy from Republic because of the lack of device choice and lack of portability (CDMA, SIM locked, GSM compatibility disabled), but if you need a new device anyway and don't mind the drawbacks, it's hard to go cheaper.

DickRilloa

Banned
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
How about getting a small, light $ 25 feature phone, a.k.a. dumb phone, like Samsung's clamshell models, with a $ 10/month contract for unlimited minutes and texts, and a couple of weeks battery life, and a WiFi only tablet, without a SIM card, for all internet stuff – including chatting and video calling – and everything else at home, or at work, etc.?
Assuming you have WiFi and an internet connection there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21