Best Phone For Fitness

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Going forward, I am considering getting a device based on fitness stuff going forward, so that means Android or iOS. I am considering getting the S5 Mini or maybe, just maybe (possibly) getting an iPhone. I am making fitness a cornerstone of my life going forward, so far I have been weightlifting at the gym and bench press almost 250 lbs. (max) and I can leg press nearly 400 lbs. I have really gotten better in shape and I am going to start running soon as well, and I need a device that is fast, small, and compatible with plenty of fitness stuff. What do you guys suggest that I take a look at? (I am discounting the iPhone 6, as it won't be that small). I said the S5 mini because I hear it is coming to Verizon. I am on Verizon for reference. If all else fails my*RAZR*M on 4.4.2. is humming along fine and is compatible with quite a few things.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess the big question is.. what kind of "fitness stuff"? Once you know what your "fitness stuff" is, you can decide if a phone you're looking at will meet your needs.

Pretty much anything released recently will have BTLE, needed for connectivity to many smart watches and probably fitness bands. I have a Moto X, it connects just fine with my Motorola S-11 Flex HD BT headset (which I can attest holds up to the water/sweat resistance claims - I turn light grey shirts dark grey, completely, when I work out). I don't have a fitness tracker that connects to my phone, I use a GPS watch from Garmin for my outdoor activities and then upload to Runkeeper.

Your main consideration may be OS version, will the OS version on the phone you buy work with the apps you want to use or be the right version to enable the phone to connect to the BTLE devices.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess the big question is.. what kind of "fitness stuff"? Once you know what your "fitness stuff" is, you can decide if a phone you're looking at will meet your needs.

Pretty much anything released recently will have BTLE, needed for connectivity to many smart watches and probably fitness bands. I have a Moto X, it connects just fine with my Motorola S-11 Flex HD BT headset (which I can attest holds up to the water/sweat resistance claims - I turn light grey shirts dark grey, completely, when I work out). I don't have a fitness tracker that connects to my phone, I use a GPS watch from Garmin for my outdoor activities and then upload to Runkeeper.

Your main consideration may be OS version, will the OS version on the phone you buy work with the apps you want to use or be the right version to enable the phone to connect to the BTLE devices.

I can't take the time to baby my phone especially since I am in college. This is why I have Samsung and iPhone on my mind because they are the best companies for support next to Motorola that I can grab on Verizon.

So fitness trackers, a range of protection like water proof cases or being waterproof already, and compatibility with a wide range of armbands and whatnot, in other words large accessory support and fitness tech support.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am also considering the Droid Mini. I prefer smaller phones greatly.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, by "fitness stuff" you're really talking about device protection. If you look around you can find decent protection cases for almost any device. Check eBay, or even right on this site.

As for size/performance/upgradability/compatibility/overall feel and features, MANY people will tell you that you can't really go wrong with the Moto X. It fits in the hand nicely, performs well and has some awesome features (touchless control and active display to name 2) that you won't find standard on pretty much any other phone. The Moto X is also nearly-stock Android, as close as you'll find without getting a Nexus, which you can't get on Verizon. I have an Incipio TPU/plastic case from Verizon for it, it protects it well (when I have it on the phone). I could probably find an armband case for the phone if I was looking for one.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So, by "fitness stuff" you're really talking about device protection. If you look around you can find decent protection cases for almost any device. Check eBay, or even right on this site.

As for size/performance/upgradability/compatibility/overall feel and features, MANY people will tell you that you can't really go wrong with the Moto X. It fits in the hand nicely, performs well and has some awesome features (touchless control and active display to name 2) that you won't find standard on pretty much any other phone. The Moto X is also nearly-stock Android, as close as you'll find without getting a Nexus, which you can't get on Verizon. I have an Incipio TPU/plastic case from Verizon for it, it protects it well (when I have it on the phone). I could probably find an armband case for the phone if I was looking for one.

No. I said in my previous comment I said fitness trackers and fitness accessories, not necessarily cases themselves. I am looking for devices smaller than the Moto X.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis