Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Android US marketshare increases to 62%

Kantar: Android owned 62% of the U.S. smartphone market for the three months ended in May

Kantar: Android owned 62% of the U.S. smartphone market for the three months ended in May
    Some other interesting news for Europe...there is some evidence of an exodus from iOS to Android.

Even more interesting is the news that 26% of British consumers who purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 during the three months that ended in May, switched from the Apple iPhone. Last year, that figure was 12% for the Samsung Galaxy S4. In Europe, 17% of those who bought an iPhone during the same three months, were switching from the Galaxy S5.

2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Default Re: Android US marketshare increases to 62%

Looks like Windows Phone is doomed as well.

Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

The latest Kantar Worldpanel numbers for smartphone market share may not be surprising, but they are grim indeed for Microsoft. In the heart of the Windows empire in the United States, Windows Phone’s market share dropped from 4.7% to 3.6% between May 2013 and May 2014. In Germany, the decline was from 6.2% to 5.9%. In Brazil, the share remained flat at 5.5%. In China, Windows Phone saw a collapse from 3% to o.6%.

All of that helped give Windows Phone 3% to 5% slice of the smartphone market. And now that pitiful toehold is already eroding, washed away by the flood of $100 Android smartphones. There is no coming back from this debacle. The prices of low-end Windows smartphones cannot catch up with Android models — to do so would have taken a rapid climb to at least a 20% share in emerging markets and associated economies of scale. That window of opportunity has now slammed shut.

Windows Phone market share: Crash and burn | BGR
    I do think on the extreme low end, WP could compete with Android for features and performance...but not with apps. Which are probably even more important on low-end phones. WP will be the new Blackberry, and died a slow death by asphyxiation.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

For the most part I agree. I yearn for a 3rd player in the mobile OS market to step up and impress me. I watched with excitement from the sidelines for BB10 to be the big comeback for Blackberry to rise again to glory only to see it receive a crushing defeat. Then I looked towards MS to flex its muscle and deep pockets to do the same only to witness a long list of bad software design decision mistakes which never should have happened from a company that size. Looks like MS is finally addressing many of those with WP 8.1 but they dragged their heels SO long that nobody is noticing. Neither BB or MS seem able to capture that all-important developer attention.
    I also kept an eye on the smaller guys like Ubuntu Mobile, Sailfish, etc to do something that might end up being a surprise unexpected sensation. No luck there either.

I'm fully expecting that we're looking at the iOS and Android Mobile duopoly to continue for at least another 5 years. After all, how many decades has it been now that we've had Microsoft and Apple duopoly for computers?

Windows Phone (Nokia in particular) has some really great devices at most price points, including the budget range. I think their problem is more ecosystem than hardware: they're just not getting the developer and carrier support that they need. We must remember also that while Microsoft isn't doing very well in the mobile space overall, Windows Phone is doing quite well indeed in a few markets. I'm not prepared to count them out yet.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Android put iOS in its place. But now Android is getting far too big for its breeches. It's time for Tizen to put Android in its place and open up the competition again.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

God no, ANYTHING but an OS made by the creators of Touchwiz
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by DickRilloa View Post
    Android put iOS in its place. But now Android is getting far too big for its breeches. It's time for Tizen to put Android in its place and open up the competition again.
    Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Tizen will fail miserably. No one wants a Touchwiz OS. Tizen will crash and burn even worse than Blackberry did.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Please tell me that's sarcasm.
    I'm waiting for the punchline myself.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Competition is better for users than no competition. So Tizen is better for users than no Tizen.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by DickRilloa View Post
    Competition is better for users than no competition. So Tizen is better for users than no Tizen.
    Competition is only good if it actually offers something new or different or better. Tizen is not new or different or better. There is nothing at all special about it...it's a classic "Me too" OS.

Not only that, but it is based on a custom skin for another OS that is reviled by almost everyone. Reviled enough that they had to remove the option to uninstall it.

Competition for the sake of competition is not necessarily a good thing IMO. Competing products need to be providing something worthwhile to the end user.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Precisely....

Would I take a look at a Firefox mobile OS? Sure. Would I check out an Ubuntu mobile OS... sure (and I have loaded it on my Nexus 5). Would I give even a first, nevermind second, thought to anything kind of OS that Samsung has their control over? Hells no..... As good as Samsung is with hardware, they are THAT bad with software.... Their mobile software is utter and complete garbage.... and while the general public is usually completely clueless to such things, nearly 100% of them agree that Samsung can't write software worth a damn (based on the fact that they abandon their apps nearly the instant they use them).

Case in point. My wife has one of their little handheld cameras.... looks similar to those Flip cameras... AWESOME little video camera. Easy to use, takes great 1080p videos, durable, you name it. But the desktop video software that comes with it, Intelli-Studio, is <redacted>. it re-indexes all of the media on your computer EVERY TIME IT LOADS... not in the background.... you have to wait for the process to finish before you can use it. It SLOWLY indexes every picture, audio file and video file in any of your media folders. Last time I tried to launch it, it took 15 minutes before the window would free up. I couldn't tell you what else sucked about the program because.... well.... I'd have to use it to do that.

You don't want those developers having any more say in what runs on your phone than they already have.

I pity each and every one of the millions of users that are now permanently marooned on Touchwiz Island due to Samsung's encasing their bootloaders in adamantium. Anyone thinking that the prospect of those same software developers getting their hands on the entire OS is a good thing... man oh man.