Android in 2015: Bringing 'pure Google' to every screen

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not to me. Either of them is preferable to every vendor skinned phone I have seen so far.

Pretty much.... Yes, I understand that the stock load-out on my Nexus 5 isn't 'pure' AOSP code.... things like the Google Now Launcher, the Google Keyboard, etc..... those aren't 'stock' Android. But Google doesn't muddle Android down with truckloads of garbage; Notification screens made to look like a Fox News screengrab, convoluted launchers and UIs that bog things down, etc... I own all-Nexus devices now, and you'd be hard pressed for me to switch to over to a bloated skin voluntarily.

Hell, my JUMP goes live the day that T-Mobile gets the G3.... Hardware-wise, I'd be very tempted. But if I pulled the trigger, I'd get stuck in Optimus-land until someone got it unlocked, rooted and ROM'd. After 7 months of searching, my Nexus 5 found it's home-ROM.... I'm not going to toss all that into the can so I can get a new phone... at least until the next Nexus comes out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter if it matters to you or not. Pure Google still isn't Pure Android.

AOSP is stock Android. Google replaces key parts of AOSP, like the keyboard, the launcher, and photo gallery, etc. You're a fan of Google's take on Android. That's fine. But it's misinformation to represent the Google Android experience as the Pure Android experience.

I welcome vendor "skinned" phones. That's the beauty of Android at its core. I don't want Android to be like iOS.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I welcome vendor "skinned" phones. That's the beauty of Android at its core. I don't want Android to be like iOS.
Samsung has done exactly that though. You cannot uninstall their skin. What if I like Samsung's hardware but hate their skin? It has led to fewer choices, not more.

That is why I want vendor skins to die. Not because they are different, but because you can't get rid of them.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I welcome vendor "skinned" phones. That's the beauty of Android at its core.

"Beauty" and "vendor skinned phones" should not be in the same post....

The only vendor software load-out that isn't worth a bucket of warm spit is a) Google's and b) Motorola's Moto line. Both happen to be very close to stock Android. Few, if any, users run 'pure' Android... and the ones that have probably ended up loading up the same stuff you'd see inside a Nexus 5. Visually and functionally, there's little difference between stock Android and the stock Nexus image.

Big Sammy is probably the driving force behind a lot of this... Google is sick of people seeing Android through Samsung's eyes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has done exactly that though. You cannot uninstall their skin. What if I like Samsung's hardware but hate their skin? It has led to fewer choices, not more.

That is why I want vendor skins to die. Not because they are different, but because you can't get rid of them.

Not letting Samsung customize parts of Android, especially parts that Google itself customizes over Android, goes against the openness of Android. In an open platform, there will never really best but only "best for you". Just because you don't like certain things about Samsung and vow to not even consider Samsung phones as options, doesn't mean others have less choice. You limited yourself but that won't stop Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, Oppo, BLU, ZTE, Huawei, Sony, Xiaomi, and everyone else from giving people choice. And if you don't like any of these options, you can always build your own phone with AOSP if you really want to.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"Beauty" and "vendor skinned phones" should not be in the same post....

The only vendor software load-out that isn't worth a bucket of warm spit is a) Google's and b) Motorola's Moto line. Both happen to be very close to stock Android. Few, if any, users run 'pure' Android... and the ones that have probably ended up loading up the same stuff you'd see inside a Nexus 5. Visually and functionally, there's little difference between stock Android and the stock Nexus image.

Big Sammy is probably the driving force behind a lot of this... Google is sick of people seeing Android through Samsung's eyes.

You're mistaking the visuals of Samsung's interface for the beauty in my post. The beauty of Android is that it's open and Samsung (and anyone, including you) can make these changes when building a phone. No one is forced to use an interface they don't like.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not letting Samsung customize parts of Android, especially parts that Google itself customizes over Android, goes against the openness of Android.
So what? No one is saying Samsung should not be allowed to customize it. But it does not lead to more choice for me, the consumer. If I want to use Samsung's Awesome hardware I am forced to be saddled with their crap UI too. "Choice" would be having the option to remove it if I want.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should do something.

In an open platform, there will never really best but only "best for you".
Right now there is no "best for me". Right now there is just "the fewest compromises". Vendor skins on the non google phones, and lack of expansion on Google phones. I chose the latter, but that does not make it the best choice for me.

Just because you don't like certain things about Samsung and vow to not even consider Samsung phones as options, doesn't mean others have less choice.
Technically, yeah, it does. You personally may not have a huge problem with this restriction, but that does not mean it is not a restriction. It just means it's a restriction you personally are willing to tolerate.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No one is forced to use an interface they don't like.

That won't change.... near as I can tell, Google is just going to make it attractive to any phone maker to put a device into this program (i.e. cash and kickbacks). They aren't going to all of a sudden change and tell people that they can't screw with the OS anymore. They are just going to point out to people how much those screwed with versions of Android suck.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So what? No one is saying Samsung should not be allowed to customize it. But it does not lead to more choice for me, the consumer. If I want to use Samsung's Awesome hardware I am forced to be saddled with their crap UI too. "Choice" would be having the option to remove it if I want.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should do something.

Right now there is no "best for me". Right now there is just "the fewest compromises". Vendor skins on the non google phones, and lack of expansion on Google phones. I chose the latter, but that does not make it the best choice for me.

Technically, yeah, it does. You personally may not have a huge problem with this restriction, but that does not mean it is not a restriction. It just means it's a restriction you personally are willing to tolerate.

It's Samsung's right (along with everyone else that makes phones based off ASOP) to change what they can and want. That doesn't mean that they should change things in my opinion or in your opinion. They can. That's open. If you don't like what Samsung offers as a package, you don't have to buy it. (and if you like their hardware, but hate their software, just hope they make a Google Play edition).

The best phone for anyone is the one with the fewest compromises.

Look at how Google itself advertises the Nexus line as of today.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=jZEIG36n

The best of Google, in three sizes.

The best of Google. Not "the best of Android".

And how Google itself advertises the Google Play edition line.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=jZEIG36n

Top names in Hardware, powered by Android from Google.

It doesn't end at "powered by Android". It's Google's vision of Android.

And with all that said, it doesn't change the fact this statement is still true: "Pure Android is not Pure Google".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That won't change.... near as I can tell, Google is just going to make it attractive to any phone maker to put a device into this program (i.e. cash and kickbacks). They aren't going to all of a sudden change and tell people that they can't screw with the OS anymore. They are just going to point out to people how much those screwed with versions of Android suck.

This is the key point a lot of people miss.

Let's breakdown a few things.

What is the Android source code?

Android is an open-source software stack created for a wide array of devices with different form factors. The primary purposes of Android are to create an open software platform available for carriers, OEMs, and developers to make their innovative ideas a reality and to introduce a successful, real-world product that improves the mobile experience for users. We also wanted to make sure there was no central point of failure, where one industry player could restrict or control the innovations of any other. The result is a full, production-quality consumer product with source code open for customization and porting.

What does Google want with Android? Google is a search company. Google wants your information. What's the best way to do that? An open platform that hooks into (closed) Google services.

OEMs pay nothing to Google to use Android. OEMs also pay nothing to Google to use Google's services. Google also doesn't pay OEMs to build Android devices.

As long as the devices hook into Google's services, Google is getting what they want. Implementing the (closed) Play Store is enough of a payment, IMO.

The rumored Android Silver program is supposed to change that. If Google pays OEMs directly to build these Android Silver devices, Google should get a say in the hardware and software design implementation.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If anyone actually thinks Pure Android and Pure Google are the same, then go ahead and install a custom ROM without GApps.
Won't be a fun experience...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If anyone actually thinks Pure Android and Pure Google are the same, then go ahead and install a custom ROM without GApps.
Won't be a fun experience...

I've done that...not intentionally. For the few minutes it took for me to remember I didn't flash gapps, it was not fun at all.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've done that...not intentionally. For the few minutes it took for me to remember I didn't flash gapps, it was not fun at all.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Yup. First time I flashed a ROM I forgot the GApps. Tried installing APKs of the same apps, but they crashed within 10 seconds.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It's Samsung's right (along with everyone else that makes phones based off ASOP) to change what they can and want.
Again...so what? No one is saying they should not be allowed to do that.

If you don't like what Samsung offers as a package, you don't have to buy it.
I am explaining why I am cheerleading the demise of vendor skins. I am not advocating that they should be forbidden to do it.

They cannot die fast enough as far as I'm concerned. And I applaud google's attempts to make it harder for vendor skins to exist.

(and if you like their hardware, but hate their software, just hope they make a Google Play edition).
Not the same thing. Though Android Silver might change that.

And with all that said, it doesn't change the fact this statement is still true: "Pure Android is not Pure Google".
So far Pure Google is still better than Pure Samsung or Pure HTC or Pure LG.

Samsung is as free to put their crappy skin on anything they want as they ever were. Android is as open as it ever was. Google is simply dictating what phones have to be like if they want to ship with Google's (not Android's) software. The Play Store is not part of the Android OS. If Samsung wants it, they need to dial back their obnoxious UI skin. It's up to Samsung if they want to do that or not. But Android is no less open no matter what Samsung decides.

Therefore there is not less choice for the consumer. There is more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08