Steve jobs rips on Android and rim on 7" tablet and fragmentation.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
All tablets are DOA pretty much. My brother in law has one and is an apple freak and it is sitting on his dining room table gathering dust.....It is a neat concept but a narrow market.

Reactions: quikric

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My father has an iPad... never uses it. $500 paperweight. Alot of work needs to be done to make them useful for someone who already owns a smartphone and a computer.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my mom's PC tablet is gathering dust somewhere in her office. I kind of liked the idea of full OS on a tablet, but nobody really does that anymore. HP Slate gets cancelled and we now have these mobile OS's on tablets.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually the Archos 9 is a decent tablet. Runs Windows 7 so you can use all the applications you would on a desktop and the tablet experience is good. It's only real drawback is Archos should have used an SSD - the performance and battery life would have jumped drastically had they done so.

Lenovo also makes a nifty ideapad tablet where if you add an SSD and another GB of RAM is nice and fast.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My father has an iPad... never uses it. $500 paperweight. Alot of work needs to be done to make them useful for someone who already owns a smartphone and a computer.

Same here.

Re: Jobs. I would be concerned if he wasn't playing defense right now. The fact that he is, is a beautiful thing.

D

darktanone

I'm writing this from my iPad. I don't think Jobs is at all on the defensive, I think that's more true of the Andriod community after he spoke. Steve simply took control of the message. He was fed up with Google labeling iOS as closed and Android as open. They were controlling both sides of the conversation and he sought to put an end to it. From the discussions here and elsewhere on the Web, he was successful. He has turned the table on Google and now there's doubt about Android's openness claims. His terms, integrated to describe iOS and fragmented to describe Android, will be the new labels.

I also think he killed the 7" tablet in his statements. He is a well respected CEO and his words have impact, more than anyone at Google or Adobe. There's little doubt Android's phenomenal growth will be slowed significantly, when iPhone 4 joins iPad on Verizon. It's going to be a bloodbath. Don't lull yourself onto thinking otherwise. Just my two cents.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I also think he killed the 7" tablet in his statements. He is a well respected CEO and his words have impact, more than anyone at Google or Adobe. There's little doubt Android's phenomenal growth will be slowed significantly, when iPhone 4 joins iPad on Verizon. It's going to be a bloodbath. Don't lull yourself onto thinking otherwise. Just my two cents.

I don't know that he killed the 7". I think the Galaxy Tab's pricing is what will prevent it from gaining traction.

I do agree with you that the iPhone on Verizon will have a major impact on Android. I have to believe that many folks who buy Android phones do it on the basis of carrier, not because they're Android fanatics.

WhoIsThis

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to say that when firms are trash talking their rivals like this, they must know that they are faced with a serious threat. The iPhone was never able to achieve the growth that Android is now.

WhoIsThis

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm writing this from my iPad. I don't think Jobs is at all on the defensive, I think that's more true of the Andriod community after he spoke. Steve simply took control of the message. He was fed up with Google labeling iOS as closed and Android as open. They were controlling both sides of the conversation and he sought to put an end to it. From the discussions here and elsewhere on the Web, he was successful. He has turned the table on Google and now there's doubt about Android's openness claims. His terms, integrated to describe iOS and fragmented to describe Android, will be the new labels.

The thing is, the open vs. closed debate is a legitimate debate. It is not just about who gives a better user experience, but an important ethical debate as well. Who is to say that we can trust Apple with our phones or tablets or computers? Look at how secretive they can be. No, we cannot fully trust Google either, but overall, we can see that Google is probably more trustworthy. I've owned a few Apple products. On their forums, I've noted something - they delete the threads that speak negatively of them in an attempt to present a perfect image. It's little things like that which make me really question them.

Jobs is well respected, but he makes mistakes like the rest of us too. Let's just hope that his mistakes will be Android's gains.:) I hate to say this, but marketshare is a zero-sum game.

Also, will it be a blood bath? I live in Canada where people can buy the iPhone on all of our major carriers. Yet people still pick Android willingly over the iPhone ... I feel that the iPhone defenders overvalue their platform. Look at other nations too, like in Europe where you can get an unlocked iPhone. Android is still growing very rapidly there.

jmcole0372

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Jobsy boy

I honestly wanted an iPhone for years, until i went to buy one and realized it would cost me twice as much per month. What joke, then to top it off there are huge design flaws, such as the non removable battery. :mad: I'm glad i switched from BB to the EVO, what a great phone. I never thought i'd leave BB in this decade. Verizon should have just taken the iPhone way back when they had the chance, now theyre gonna try to scoop up the leftovers from AT&T. we will see what happens, regardless ole jobsy has lost some market share. :(