Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    I'm looking at getting a tablet, probably the 16 gb version vs the 32 since I can get a 64 gig card to extra space. Now, I'm just wondering, since i know Android messes around on this a bit, can I just run/move apps like games that take up a good bit of space to the card, or will they be stuck solely running off the tablets built in memory? Cause I'm leaning towards the 2012 Note 10.1, but the difference for me between 16 and 32 gig versions is a fair amount in terms of cost.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    With Android, yes. No apps to SD for Android.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    I thought that was fixed?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    I thought that was fixed?
    Nope, Google still hates your SD card.
  5. #5  
    DickRilloa's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Nope, Google still hates your SD card.
    ^This!
  6. #6  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    I'm looking at getting a tablet, probably the 16 gb version vs the 32 since I can get a 64 gig card to extra space. Now, I'm just wondering, since i know Android messes around on this a bit, can I just run/move apps like games that take up a good bit of space to the card, or will they be stuck solely running off the tablets built in memory? Cause I'm leaning towards the 2012 Note 10.1, but the difference for me between 16 and 32 gig versions is a fair amount in terms of cost.
    Short answer: No.

    Most people will never need more than 8 gigs for apps. My Droid 1 only had 256k(!) for apps. The only apps that take up huge amounts of space are games, even even then, it is a tiny minority of games. My advice is to get the cheapest version of the tablet you can and just use SD for storage, the way god intended.

    Android does not support Apps to SD anymore, but I think Touchwiz still does. So you should be fine either way. I would just store apps internally and everything else on SD.
  7. #7  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    I thought that was fixed?
    It was, as far as google is concerned. Google hates SD. They only grudgingly support it because so many people want it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Huh, well, since I use Samsung, if that's so, then yeah, I'll more aim at the 16 gig version.
  9. #9  
    bigmac11's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    If your rooted you can use Foldermount to move apps to sd. I have over 30 GB of apps on my 16 GB LG G Pad.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Well, Samsung/Touchwiz still allows for transfer to SD?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Short answer: No.

    Most people will never need more than 8 gigs for apps. My Droid 1 only had 256k(!) for apps. The only apps that take up huge amounts of space are games, even even then, it is a tiny minority of games. My advice is to get the cheapest version of the tablet you can and just use SD for storage, the way god intended.

    Android does not support Apps to SD anymore, but I think Touchwiz still does. So you should be fine either way. I would just store apps internally and everything else on SD.
    I have 19.2 gigs of apps on a Windows Phone...
  12. #12  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I have 19.2 gigs of apps on a Windows Phone...
    I have about 5 gigs. And I am the heaviest user I know.

    What non-game apps are taking up all that space?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Does storage space matter on a tablet with MicroSD?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I have about 5 gigs. And I am the heaviest user I know.

    What non-game apps are taking up all that space?
    It's mostly games. Non-game, I have social media apps, the biggest of which is 22 megs and some high quality photo or music editors. The best music editor takes up a pretty staggering 128 megs.

Similar Threads

  1. Soft keys not working at all on Galaxy S5
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM
  2. Are there any good toolbox apps on Android?
    By Mr Matei in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 01:19 AM
  3. Help My S5 Is Stuck On And Won't Turn Off!!!
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
  4. Battery issue with my Note
    By Sweetde80 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM
  5. help with samsung s2
    By dannideee in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions