10,000 mAh battery needs to be standard in smart phones

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Anything close to 3,000 mAh is completely insufficient to power up a smart phone for any serious length of time. I had a Optimus G pro with the stock 3400 mAh and only got something like 6 hours before it dipped below 25% and 25% of 3400 is very ltitle. It basically means "run to the charger" before it shuts down at the worst possible time. It lived on the charger so much I wore out the USB port in the phone. Because I liked to have at least 50% at all times, which doesn't last long at all.

Got a ZeroLemon 9300 mAh cell, nice. It lost a little capacity over months, as any Li-Ion battery should, but I still get a solid day and night per charge. This is the battery smart phones need to come with. Maybe even more, between 10,000 mAh and 15,000 mAh. Because smart phones are basically mini-laptops now. They need to make the battery the size of the phone. Another benefit of ZeroLemon is that the phone is easier to hold now, being much thicker. There is nothing cool about smart phones the thickeness of a credit-card. Capacity is extremely low, they are slippery and hard to hold. Not a great idea from any angle.

Now G3 is coming out, with the increased pixel count and increased power consumption for sure, yet they only put 3,000 mAh cell in it. How inappropriate. How long will the runtime be before you are in the danger zone, 4 hours?

I think the low capacity and the 2mm thickeness is driven by the marketing departments. The engineering department will deliver a phone that can run for a week and be comfortable to hold but the marketing department will over-ride them and say, redesign it so it's paper-thin and runs for 4 hours so we can run commercials about how compact it is. The consumer is apparently dumb enough to buy it.

Yet there is nothing good about compactness. I want a 1990s sized device that does not need to be charged in the morning, lunch and dinner and overnight also.

The smart phone makers need to come up with 2 options, let's say "H" for high-capacity and "A", for "Armored", something water proof and protected against damage, much like Otterbox. I don't want an aftermarket "patch", but a build-in design around longest runtime instead of having to buy a device and get patches for it so it's adequate.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Some people do not like having a thick device in their pocket. You can't deny that manufacturers have come a long way in terms of battery capacity. They have been able to increase the amount of juice, which keeping thickness at a minimum. The trend of big display phones also helps because you can fit more in than you would with smaller devices.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes! Sign me up for a giant brick smartphone.

Until the technology is better, it's not going to happen.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The s5 is waterproof. You might be willing to accept a heavy and thick device for smartphone, but most people are not. For people like you, you can buy a heavy duty case like the otterbox armor, which is rated for a 10' drop on concrete. I bought one for the 4s and 5s for $5 each on sale.

Also, there are extended battery options like you mentioned. But the vast majority of people don't get it now.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They aren't putting in the smaller batteries because they want to... they are putting in smaller batteries because the HAVE to.... People don't want heavy, brick-like phones, they want them thin and light, so much so that they'll readily accept the lack of battery life in exchange for a phone that doesn't need its own seat on an airplane.

There are fewer industries out there with a more watchful eye on battery technology..... a 10,000mah battery with the same dimensions and weight as a current 2000mah battery is like their Holy Grail.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
If it's consumer driven, well maybe so, I get it, but the current state of smart phones, phablets and tablets and for that matter laptops is pretty sad, in my opinion. The whole point of wireless devices is to be away from the charger. They need to offer at least an option for those who want to be away from a charger for more than 2 hours.

Had the orginal Droid, same story. It came with a 1600 mAh cell. Ridiculous. Upgraded to a 2600 mAh cell and even that was not enough and I carried about 3 spares.

Had a Samsung S3, same story. Running out of juice before COB. Mostly on standby without much usage. Zerolemon was a nice addition, even 7200 mah one.

I carry spare batteries in addition to zerolemon. Car charger is nice but you can blow the fuse, run out of gas or whatever comes up due to Murphy's law. Like stuck in a storm or some natural disaster without power.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For your situation datum it sounds like you use your phone a lot so I can see where you're coming from... But manufacturers look at it from a majority standpoint... They don't want to make a ton of one product and most people not want it since they want the cash.. They will go with what sells.

It sounds like you know you use it due to spares... For now you'll have to do with that and the zerolemon cases. Until they can make the batteries bigger but not make the phone a brick... I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm with datum: I wouldn't mind my phone being a few millimeters thicker if it bought me a few more hours of screen-on time. I'm pretty much resigned to the idea that if I want that, I need a removable battery, though.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'm with datum: I wouldn't mind my phone being a few millimeters thicker if it bought me a few more hours of screen-on time. I'm pretty much resigned to the idea that if I want that, I need a removable battery, though.

I'll take the sleeker device with removable battery.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll take the sleeker device with removable battery.

That's fine if you want a Samsung or LG but not everyone does, myself included.

Also, the downside of ultra thin phones is their handleability. If you use your phone naked, unless you grip it just right they can have a tendency to just flip right out of your hand. I like a phone which my hand can properly hold on to, and if that means extra mAh....Great!!

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
So should I also ask for 3TB storage? Ask yourself when does it end why not 20k mAh?

TBH I'm happy getting AT LEAST 12 hours with my last few Super Phones including my S5. I bought the Samsung Extra Battery Kit only because I had a coupon but it hasn't been an issue where I had to use it.

Super Phones are getting bigger I don't need them thicker as well.

Pro S5

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Also, the downside of ultra thin phones is their handleability. If you use your phone naked, unless you grip it just right they can have a tendency to just flip right out of your hand. I like a phone which my hand can properly hold on to, and if that means extra mAh....Great!!

I have large hands and a phone has never flipped out of them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have large hands and a phone has never flipped out of them.

On the other scale I'm a small person and I can 1 hand the Note 3.. And have never dropped it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

erinxia

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It's true though, some devices are way too thin and I practically have to charge my phone everyday, but I think going for a brick like type would be even more inconvenience even if it did give a longer battery life. I guess if anything, you can always buy an extra battery or a portable charger.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

I could not hold Droid X, or Samsung S3, or LG Optimus G Pro as they came out of the box. Thin and slippery. These 8 or 9 or so milimeters are not enough. The edge is too thin to get a postive grip on it. I first upgraded to a protective plastic contraption which helped and eventually got oversized batteries which came with their own thicker covers which helped even more. ZeroLemon extended batteries double the thickness it seems.

Oh well, the customer is always right and always gets what he wants, too bad the average customer has the intelligence of a door knob.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the whole argument in phones lasting days on a single charge.

With 2k screens becoming the norm I do believe a 4000mah battery would suffice.

This would get any heavy user through a whole day, then charge when asleep, wake up and your good to go again.

Why is it an issue to some to charge while sleeping?