Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default All cards UI vs icons

Everyone loves a cards UI. They're usually the hottest layouts on any given week at all of the Android theming communities like Mycolorscreen or theming G+ communities. What do you guys think? I think the grid-of-icons look has had it's day now and Android's UI should move on to embracing more of a cards UI on the home screens as a default, like Aviate Launcher does

Default Re: All cards UI vs icons

I hope you're just trolling. This is an example of ux designers driving change. I am not a fan of card scrolling. It looks interesting at first, but is not as usable as a list.

See also: Windows 8 and it's metro interface (renamed modern ui)
    Ubuntu's Unity interface removing menus in favor of a search interface
    Cell phones replacing menus with icons that don't tell you what they are because you can't mouse hover for tool tips
    This list goes on.

When something works someone feels a need to change it and force that change on everyone else. I have no problem with having new options rise up. If it's better it will get adopted, but don't throw it on as default 'just because' and drop alternative options.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Whoa whoa back up the bus! In what world is me saying I love the look of a Google Cards style layout somehow turns into me trolling??? Geez dude, you need to chill out.

You can still use icons alongside a cards layout without a drastic change. This is pretty much what Aviate does a pretty good job of
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,031 Global Posts

Before this gets out of hand: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Interestingly enough I think Google Android's design department might be missing an opportunity here that the developers of Aviate Launcher caught without the benefit of Google's mighty search algorithm. Card-ish style intelligent contextual home launcher layouts are popular. If you look at mycolorscreen.com most of the hottest layouts are using widgets to emulate a combination of Google Now cards with a sprinkling of icons. since Google's Material design was announced this has revved up even more. Personally I'm burned out with heavy theming to achieve this which is why I'm back to Aviate again. The last update now rivals stock in terms of speed and smoothness, looks great, has a much better auto categorized app drawer that blows away the tab style aosp drawers. I haven't even bothered installing any clock/weather/calendar/music widgets because the built-in ones are great.