Microsoft launches a price assault on Chromebooks (TheVerge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's see if we can avoid turning this into the same tired regurgitation of taking points that the others turned into.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see any demand for Chromebooks.

Well, it's still there. Dell's having issues keeping up with demand.... like someone said, Amazon's selling a bunch of them. There is definitely a market there. Everyone has different needs... it might be too restrictive for you, but the next person might think it's just what they need.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I saw an article in one of those tech magazine sites talking about how it may only be a matter of time before lower end laptops are offered for free, with the cost to be recouped by charging for services and/or license fees. This would be great for consumers (unless we started getting nickeled and dimed with fees everywhere), but I think Windows laptop makers would have a tougher time deciding how low end they can make the internals, since there's a greater impact on performance than on a Chromebook.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Um, really?
Really. Do not see any in the real world. And don't know anyone who wants them...most people I know don't even know what they are.

Just because you don't see the demand doesn't mean it's not there.
I agree. But I have seen phantom trends before. Things people expect to take off but that never actually take off. So I'll believe it when I see it, and so far I'm not seeing it.

Two of the top three selling laptops on Amazon are Chromebooks.
That would be awesome if Amazon represented all PC and Laptop sales in the world.

Look at that. That right there shows that there is a demand.
...demand on Amazon. Yes, it shows that there is a demand on Amazon.

Yes, that is a limited view of the market because it only shows the purchases of Amazon customers, but you said you didn't see "any demand"
I don't. Not in the real world. Amazon alone is not evidence of a demand IMO.

There are very few market outlets for the Nexus 5 in the real world, yet I have met other people with Nexus 5s. I am not seeing that with Chromebooks.

Maybe you don't see a reason for the demand because of the other options that exist, but that's about you. Your experience does not speak for the experience of the entire marketplace.
Does yours?

pcs-tablets-chromebooks-q3-2013-v1-620x448.png

http://www.zdnet.com/latest-idc-figures-show-chromebooks-continue-to-struggle-7000023000/

How much has chanced since last November?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's still there. Dell's having issues keeping up with demand.... like someone said, Amazon's selling a bunch of them. There is definitely a market there. Everyone has different needs... it might be too restrictive for you, but the next person might think it's just what they need.

For every 1 person buying a Chromebook there are 5 or 10 or more buying a laptop. Amazon is not a great metric IMO because most laptop users don't buy laptops on Amazon. Of the last 10 I purchased (they arn't all mine...I bought them and set them for for friends and co workers), most were at Microcenter, and the remainder were at either Walmart or Best Buy.

I don't know anyone that has actually bought one. Until that changes, I personally am going to remain skeptical.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's see if we can avoid turning this into the same tired regurgitation of taking points that the others turned into.

We apparently cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.