I have the itch for a new tablet. I have a first Gen nexus 7 and a note3 so I may pass the 7 off to my wife or daughter and pickup something bigger.

The Nexus 10 currently on the market is the same one that was for sale when I purchased my 7. Some searching reveals inconsistent reports some saying nexus10 revision is not coming out?

So that leaves the Samsung tab S as the premier Android tablet? Overall I like my phone but touch whiz is annoying.

I will be using the tablet for news reading and Internet browsing and video consumption. I may also start reading books and magazines on the tablet.

Any help or thoughts?
    07-16-2014 07:31 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? It can breeze through anything you can throw at it. You can even do serious work on it, if you must! Thanks to the S-pen. This is one top-of-the-line tablet AFAIC.
    Unless you would want one of those 12" monsters I heard about.
    07-16-2014 08:52 PM
    Is there a reason to buy that over the Tab S? I thought hte Tab S was their flagship and its basically the same price?

Also, is Google not going to release a new Nexus 10 or a replacement for it? There are so many different rumors out here from Jan-Jun of this year I have no clue what's accurate.
    07-16-2014 09:16 PM
    Is there a reason to buy that over the Tab S? I thought hte Tab S was their flagship and its basically the same price?
    The S-pen makes the Note way more functional, imo.

Also, is Google not going to release a new Nexus 10 or a replacement for it? There are so many different rumors out here from Jan-Jun of this year I have no clue what's accurate.
    Exactly. So ignore them.
    07-16-2014 09:27 PM
    What about something of the 8 to 9 inch variety? Easier to travel with, read on the plane, etc...is that enough increase in real estate, say going from a 7 to 8.4 to really improving reading and news consumption?
    07-16-2014 10:22 PM
    What about something of the 8 to 9 inch variety? Easier to travel with, read on the plane, etc...is that enough increase in real estate, say going from a 7 to 8.4 to really improving reading and news consumption?
    If I want to upgrade, I want to upgrade good. From 7" to 8.4" isn't a good upgrade, imo. Hardly noticeable.
    07-17-2014 03:01 AM
    If I want to upgrade, I want to upgrade good. From 7" to 8.4" isn't a good upgrade, imo. Hardly noticeable.
    That's a respectable point unless it gets too cumbersome for easy portability and use so it will sit on a shelf more than being used.
    I have no clue that would be the result or not since I haven't owned a 10inch tablet.
    07-17-2014 07:19 AM
    That's a respectable point unless it gets too cumbersome for easy portability and use so it will sit on a shelf more than being used.
    I have no clue that would be the result or not since I haven't owned a 10inch tablet.
    Most 10" tablets are being used daily. Thus whether you would too doesn't depend on the tablet but on its user: you. So nobody here can advise you on that. We don't know you, after all.
    07-17-2014 07:55 AM
    Most 10" tablets are being used daily. Thus whether you would too doesn't depend on the tablet but on its user: you. So nobody here can advise you on that. We don't know you, after all.
    I use my 7 daily I just find that the presentation of websites and news is too similar to my phone which I love.

Reading my monthly, weekly and daily subscriptions would be better served in a larger device. I just don't want to go too big.
    07-17-2014 08:07 AM
    I use my 7 daily I just find that the presentation of websites and news is too similar to my phone which I love.
    Huh? "Too similar to your phone"...? Well, yes, it's going to be rectangular too, of course. Just bigger.
    OTOH, a phone is used mostly in portrait mode. A 10" tablet more in landscape mode. Although neither exclusively.

Reading my monthly, weekly and daily subscriptions would be better served in a larger device.
    So get one!

I just don't want to go too big.
    Like I said: only your experience can tell you if it is. For you! But you got to get one first...
    07-17-2014 09:56 AM
    Huh? "Too similar to your phone"...? Well, yes, it's going to be rectangular too, of course. Just bigger.
    OTOH, a phone is used mostly in portrait mode. A 10" tablet more in landscape mode. Although neither exclusively.

So get one!

Like I said: only your experience can tell you if it is. For you! But you got to get one first...
    Sorry to ruffle feathers I just find the reading experience similar between my note3 and nexus 7.
    In portrait mode it is a bit too narrow left to right and in landscape mode top to bottom. The tablet has been great and was really good when my phone had a 4.4 inch screen. But now at 6 inches the experience is similar and as I begin converting a lot of subscriptions to digital a bit more real estate seems appealing.
    07-17-2014 10:14 AM
    I just find the reading experience similar between my note3 and nexus 7.
    Duh!
    Did you expect otherwise?
    And do you expect otherwise from a 10" tablet?
    FYI: for reading a 10" tablet is just like a 5" phone, only 4 times the size, thus not pocketable. So not exactly mobile, but merely portable. Borne out by the numbers: 95% of tablet use happens in and around the home or the workplace. Not en-route.
    07-18-2014 07:32 AM