Google Play app revenue will surpass Apple's by 2018?

jackadillo

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Would've happened already if Google hadn't tied their hands by offering the carriers a cut of the app revenue in exchange for carrying Androids.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there studies that show most android users don't buy stuff in the App Store? I get that market share matters, but there far less users like us then there are consumers that just use a cheap phone and don't buy apps.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Are they talking about revenue from advertisement from Google Play?

I haven't paid for an app in over 6 months.
most of them are for free. So where would the revenue come from.?
fees for developers.?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why it even matters. Both platforms are fine.. Just different needs for different people.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

fees for developers.?

That's a very good question that I'd like the answer to as well. I, too, haven't paid for an app in... I don't even know how long.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

fees for developers.?

There are a lot of micro transactions, paid apps and games that are on the Play Store. Personally the past month I probably spent maybe $10 on Plague Inc alone. The best stuff you have to pay for. That's why I enjoy GTA Sans Andreas, to the aforementioned Plague Inc to Riptide GP 2 on my devices. Not to mention the wealth of paid launchers and icon packs.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there studies that show most android users don't buy stuff in the App Store?
There is, and I don't doubt it is true. But Android is making up for that with volume. That's why marketshare matters. If developers make 1/4 as much on each app but sell 5 times as many apps (as an example), they still come out ahead.

We are entering a tipping point where developers are paying as much attention to Android as they do iOS. I think Material Design will be what tips it over finally. Standardization (and a really easy way to give your apps a flashy and intuitive UI) will greatly increase the appeal of Android apps IMO. It is one of the few things Apple has still had over Android until now.

I get that market share matters, but there far less users like us then there are consumers that just use a cheap phone and don't buy apps.
Cheap phones in 2014 are not like the cheap phones in 2010.

The Moto G will run anything out there, and the experience (except for games maybe) will be comparable to a high end device. We have reached a saturation point with CPU and RAM and display in phone technology. "Retina" quality PPI is now on low end phones on Android, and they are shipping with more RAM than they need and more than enough CPU power to run the now-optimized Android UI.

So yeah, there is a lot more reason to buy apps now. Not to mention, developers still make plenty off ads anyway.

AdMob has actually been a major revenue source for La, with revenue in recent month eclipsing paid downloads. In June and July, he made $9,000 on paid apps while AdMob ads brought in $11,200.

Advanced Task Manager app maker makes $80,000 with Android app - The Technology Chronicles

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That's a very good question that I'd like the answer to as well. I, too, haven't paid for an app in... I don't even know how long.

Been the exact opposite for me. I pay for a few apps a month now. Until the end of 2010 I had never paid for a single Android app.

But even back then, developers still made money off me via ads.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Ads. How many of your apps are ad-free?

Just because they are not charging you does not mean they are not making money off you.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That is likely because the Google estimate is calculating things like revenue ads served to you in a variety of ways, such as gmail, google now, youtube, maps, and other google services. All of these "free" service are paid for with ads and other data captures.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That is likely because the Google estimate is calculating things like revenue ads served to you in a variety of ways, such as gmail, google now, youtube, maps, and other google services. All of these "free" service are paid for with ads and other data captures.

Well that is common knowledge.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
A developer is not going to care if the money is coming from direct sales or ad revenue. They might even prefer the ad revenue route because it is continuous and indefinite...direct sale income ends for them after you purchase the item.

In theory a 2009 ad-app that someone is still using is still generating income for that app maker in 2014.