Can a power Apple user really switch?

ero2

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
So, I am, what appears to be an apple fanboy. Greatly prefer their computers, love Apple tv, and up until about 6 months ago was quite happy with my iPhone. I love the OS because it requires so little maintenance, but find myself extremely bored with the device and what I feel is a lack of innovation as of late. I know the iPhone 6 is coming, but am questioning much difference besides the screen...iMessage to text issue with iOS switchers is definitely a concern for me as is integration. Anyone use everything else Apple, but their phone? Work out okay?

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this! Greatly appreciated!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I use a Retina Macbook Pro, iPad, and a GS4. I have never even bothered syncing the iPad with the rMBP, but I know a lot of the all-Apple users do like going between devices "seamlessly" like Apple advertises at WWDC. I have no issues using my phone on my laptop though. You could probably get something setup if you really need it. The only big thing I could imagine you'd miss is iMessage.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a MacBook Air, iPad mini retina, Nexus 5 and BlackBerry Z10. I use iCloud for my contacts and calendar and sync them to all my non-Apple devices via caldav and carddav. For cloud storage, notes and to-do lists I've gone to Dropbox, Evernote and Wunderlist, which are all multi-platform. This setup works fairly well for me. The only thing really missing is cross device iMessage integration, though most of my friends use either BBM or WhatsApp anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Anyone use everything else Apple, but their phone? Work out okay?

I currently use 2 MacBook Airs, 2 iMacs, and one MacBook Pro. I've been using dozens of Macs, uninterrupted, since 1985. So I think I 'qualify' as an 'Apple fanboi'. But I've hated iPhones from Day One. Far too limited for power smartphone users. Walled garden. Tiny screens. Boooring. iPhones, imo, are simple smartphones for simple people. And they are good at that. I'll be getting an iPhone for my 85 year old mom when she's ready for a smartphone. Lots of people around me, though not the majority, have iPhones. Mostly women.

But I never had an iPhone for myself, and I doubt very much I ever will. My Androids have served me well since 2008. No problems at all interacting with my Macs. Or with anyone else's. In fact my Android backups are stored on my Macs. But Apple's smartphones suck, imo.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and a plethora of fantastic androids. Also, MacBook air and iPad mini. I believe iPhones are popular with people who don't really want to be bothered messing around with their devices. It doesn't make them morons. I, too, am bored with the iPhone, and I don't think enlarging the screen size will do much to alter that unless ios 8 is game changing.
Oh, and a huge plus will be the addition of third party keyboards like SwiftKey. Typing on the iPhone is torturous!

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Windows and Mac PCs, Android and iPad tablets, and Android phones. They all play together good enough for me. I just make sure they all use GMail for mail and calendar data stores.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Answer IMHO: Yes. I have a MacBook and Windows desktop, several iPads, an Android tablet, Playbook, and long history of Palm Treo and Windows smartphones from back in the day, so I qualify as a tech fan. But for sure I was an iPhone superfan never to be swayed, and in May this year, after one month shy of 7 years use, realized I wanted to change. It was a combination of semi-boredom-no customization, and my wanting a larger screen, as well as external storage. I got a Galaxy Note 3. No problem whatsoever! My calendar was all though gmail so no issue there, and all my contacts moved over with no issue using a Samsung switch app. Before I activated the Note 3, I made sure to turn off iMessages and I did not encounter the text message problem that so many switchers have gone through, so no problem there either. And I don't miss iMessage. It works most of the time but does sometimes fail. My productivity is way better now in fact. I like the bigger screen to write notes on. I don't hate Apple-still use my iPad and all, but I love my Note 3 a zillion times more than iPhone and am very pleased.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Answer IMHO: Yes. I have a MacBook and Windows desktop, several iPads, an Android tablet, Playbook, and long history of Palm Treo and Windows smartphones from back in the day, so I qualify as a tech fan. But for sure I was an iPhone superfan never to be swayed, and in May this year, after one month shy of 7 years use, realized I wanted to change. It was a combination of semi-boredom-no customization, and my wanting a larger screen, as well as external storage. I got a Galaxy Note 3. No problem whatsoever! My calendar was all though gmail so no issue there, and all my contacts moved over with no issue using a Samsung switch app. I used the Kies app on Samsung and all my iTunes songs transferred over no problem either. Before I activated the Note 3, I made sure to turn off iMessages and I did not encounter the text message problem that so many switchers have gone through, so no problem there either. And I don't miss iMessage. It works most of the time but does sometimes fail. My productivity is way better now in fact. I like the bigger screen to write notes on. I don't hate Apple-still use my iPad and all, but I love my Note 3 a zillion times more than iPhone and am very pleased.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a MAC but I do have a Windows PC running Windows 8, an iPad mini, and my HTC one M8. They all play together nicely. I sync my calender,contacts and main email account through Live! And my Gmail is for junk.. So it works out for me!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

Chris X1

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
So, I am, what appears to be an apple fanboy. Greatly prefer their computers, love Apple tv, and up until about 6 months ago was quite happy with my iPhone. I love the OS because it requires so little maintenance, but find myself extremely bored with the device and what I feel is a lack of innovation as of late. I know the iPhone 6 is coming, but am questioning much difference besides the screen...iMessage to text issue with iOS switchers is definitely a concern for me as is integration. Anyone use everything else Apple, but their phone? Work out okay?

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this! Greatly appreciated!

Honestly? I don't think you'll really notice after the normal adjustment period. The biggest thing for most users, IMO, is getting all of your contacts and calendars sorted through a 3rd party service (like Gmail). If you do a lot of messaging (I don't), then I suppose that losing iMessage could be an issue - I'm still pissed that Google didn't push Google Talk years ago as it would be, today, the go-to messaging application.

Really, go for it. Make sure that you get a good phone (a flagship, and do your research - build quality, software customization, etc.) and give yourself some time to adjust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21