Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Smartwatches-whats the big deal? Im curious.

Anyone who has one, just want to give me the short form on what is the big deal about them? I'm honestly curious. I mean, I haven't used a watch of normal type in probably ten years since I first got a cell phone.

Default Re: Smartwatches-whats the big deal? Im curious.

I don't own one, but want one. I've worn a traditional watch even since owning a cell phone, and this is just an extension of your cell phone, allowing you to interact with it without having to take it out of your pocket. Bonus? It also tells time! And you can (eventually) swap out watchfaces and design your own, so it's like having a whole new watch every time.

If this is a feature that doesn't appeal to you, or if you really hate having a watch on your wrist, then the hype is not for you, especially if you're not eager to try out a technology that's in its infancy, so bugs and quirks are expected.

I don't get it either and my family & friends are shocked that I don't have one.

I think it's just a VERY EXPENSIVE notification bar. I love watches but I can't afford it.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

It is nice for notifications. Sometimes I won't hear notifications when the phone is in my pocket, but on my wrist, it is much harder to miss. I also set only important notifications to come on my fit.

I have a gear fit, and yesterday, I was carrying my daughter and so I used the gear fit to answer the call. More convenient then taking the smartphone out of my pocket.

Also, i can dismiss alarms from the fit. In the past I had to fumble to turn off the alarm. Especially when I wake up. It is nice not to wake up my wife.

The fit isn't a full featured Smartwatch, but I don't like something heavy on my hand.

Also, it is nice to see the weather outside without having to pull out my smartphone.

The fit also has a pedometer which is nice since I don't always carry my smartphone on my pocket.

I paid $100 for the fit and I think that it was worth it.
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    SpookDroid likes this.

I'm geeky...my Sony smartwatch 2 defines me....

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app