Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need a $200-250 Phone - Suggestions

Need to get a inexpensive phone, I'm still under contract for 6 more months. I'm debating Moto G LTE or SGS3. My requirements are 4.5" to 5" screen and SD card slot and compatible with AT&T LTE. S3 is two years old but looks to have slighty better specs than the Moto G LTE.

Opinions, Suggestions?

Thanks
    Adammg84

Default Re: Need a $200-250 Phone - Suggestions

Is the SD card slot a requirement? I would definitely recommend the Nexus 5 if you decide that you don't want an SD card slot.

It might be hard to find a Nexus 5 in the $200-250 range. Although the S3 may seem to have better specs in certain respects, it's fairly old by now, and I would bet that it won't be getting any more OS updates, while there's a good chance the Moto G will get Android L. Also keep in mind that the Moto G's Adreno 305 GPU is somewhat better than the S3's Mali-400 MP4 GPU, which translates to smoother animation. If you're going to get a Moto G, I would choose the 16 GB version, if you can, since 8 GB of internal storage can get eaten up quickly, especially if you like to play big games. Remember that external SD cards don't increase your application space, so that doesn't really matter that much.
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

The Moto G LTE is a great buy! Can't go wrong with it.

HTC 610 or Moto G LTE. Newer devices and more support than the aging S3.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by adammg84 View Post
    Need to get a inexpensive phone, I'm still under contract for 6 more months. I'm debating Moto G LTE or SGS3.
    My BF has a GS3. If I had a choice, I'd take the Moto G LTE. Better battery life and better updates. Same display, although the GS3 has a better camera. The Moto G probably has a faster CPU as well.

I'd take the Moto G for vanilla Android alone. The GS3 really does have awful battery life by modern standards. The GS3 does not necessarily have better specs in all areas. Except for the camera, the Moto G LTE has as good or better specs in pretty much every way.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It might be hard to find a Nexus 5 in the $200-250 range. Although the S3 may seem to have better specs in certain respects, it's fairly old by now, and I would bet that it won't be getting any more OS updates, while there's a good chance the Moto G will get Android L. Also keep in mind that the Moto G's Adreno 305 GPU is somewhat better than the S3's Mali-400 MP4 GPU, which translates to smoother animation. If you're going to get a Moto G, I would choose the 16 GB version, if you can, since 8 GB of internal storage can get eaten up quickly, especially if you like to play big games. Remember that external SD cards don't increase your application space, so that doesn't really matter that much.
    Chances are, you are not going to be installing high end games on a $200 phone. And the vast majority of games on the Play store will not even make a dent in 8 gigs of storage.

SD will store pictures and video and documents, and in my experience, that is what most people use storage for. I have a 32 gig Nexus 5, but if I could have had an 8gig+SD Nexus 5, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. Even if it was more expensive. I've had phones with SD and without, and I definitely missed it. The Nexus 5 is awesome in spite of lack of SD, not because of it.
    A895 likes this.

The Moto G has pretty good performance for a budget phone, so I wouldn't put it past anyone to want to install high end games on it. And I think there are quite a few games out there--not even high end ones--that take up more than 1 GB of storage. For example, my current vice, Family Guy Quest for Stuff, currently takes up 1.53 GB. Anyway, I just think it's better to have more internal storage if you can, since you're stuck with the amount it came with.
    UJ95x likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Another vote for the 16GB version. I only have a few games installed, but some of the apps I have use up a ton of storage for caching. I have to clear it every few days because it gets over 1GB fairly quickly. The apps themselves are less than 1/2 GB.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Thats why I love SD...because you're not trapped with whatever you buy forever. You have the option to upgrade it later. Google won't win this fight...people want SD.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,596 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Thats why I love SD...because you're not trapped with whatever you buy forever. You have the option to upgrade it later. Google won't win this fight...people want SD.
    Google added official support back in. Not sure why the attitude of "Google is trying to kill SD cards" is so prevalent now. Heck, there's a version of the Moto G with LTE and SD card support available. That was made when Google still owned Moto.

The reason for more internal storage is simple, even if you can move the entire app over to the SD card AFTER it's installed, you still need the initial amount of space to download it first. (ran in to that problem last night actually)

I install a number of apps, and not all of them have support for moving to the SD card, and the ones that do don't always move the largest data partitions over.

Whether it's a small number of larger apps, or a large number of smaller apps, more internal storage is always nice to have IMO.
    Almeuit, UJ95x and Aquila like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I'd use an SD card for movies and music but that's it. Game data from apps.. Or just may apps... Photos... Anything of that nature I wouldn't trust... They can randomly corrupt .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    VDub2174 likes this.

Global Posts
    30,604 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They can randomly corrupt
    And often fail with no warning.

I'd use an SD card for movies and music but that's it. Game data from apps.. Or just may apps... Photos... Anything of that nature I wouldn't trust... They can randomly corrupt .

I save important pictures to both. I also backup important pictures to huge cloud. You never know when you might lose the phone. Personally, Phone is used strictly for convenience, not storage.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Golfdriver97 and Almeuit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    And often fail with no warning.
    On my iphone, i updated it to iOS 7 and it got stuck in recovery mode. Had to do a factory data reset to get it to work. Granted, I didn't have any critical pictures not backed up. But you never know when something might go wrong. Now, an update is in, my control, but sometimes, the phone can fail without warning. Granted less likely than sd card failure, but point is that you are still taking a risk

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I save important pictures to both. I also backup important pictures to huge cloud. You never know when you might lose the phone. Personally, Phone is used strictly for convenience, not storage.

Agreed. Since I'm on unlimited I have my photos back up immediately after I take them .

Global Posts
    30,604 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Agreed. Since I'm on unlimited I have my photos back up immediately after I take them .

I am highly inclined to agree that some kind of other backup be done at set intervals. But we are digressing. I also agree with the Moto G and 16 GB internal.
    More info from Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/device...id=moto_g_16gb
    dpham00, Almeuit and UJ95x like this.

Yeah the Moto g is an excellent choice in that price range

Banned

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

I say hit craigslist. There's M8s in my area for $175

Global Posts
    30,604 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I say hit craigslist. There's M8s in my area for $175
    Not a bad idea either, but sometimes bad IMEI phones are listed on craigslist. Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread.
    UJ95x likes this.

Yeah and they can sell you the phone with a good imei and immediately call and report the device stolen, leaving your unable to activate

Global Posts
    30,604 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Yeah and they can sell you the phone with a good imei and immediately call and report the device stolen, leaving your unable to activate

Good point.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Thanks for all the great suggestions. My reasoning for wanting an SD card is I've been using an iPhone since the first one and always manage to fill it up with pictures, videos, music. iClouds storage isn't enough. so constantly backing up to PC. 16GB Moto G doesn't have LTE or SD. Probably could get by 8GB until my contract runs out and get S6 in the Spring subsidized.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Google added official support back in. Not sure why the attitude of "Google is trying to kill SD cards" is so prevalent now.
    How many Nexus devices have SD? How many Android phones allow Apps-to-SD support?

There's your answer.

Heck, there's a version of the Moto G with LTE and SD card support available. That was made when Google still owned Moto.
    Towards the very end. And even thn that was a Moto decision...Google did not design the Moto G, Moto did.

I lost a weeks worth of vacation photos because my Nexus 5 did not have SD. So when it died, all the pictures and video I took died with it. So I am a little bitter about it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Have never had that happen once with any SD I have owned. Even SD cards from water damaged phones I've had. SD can survive submersion in water...something the internal memory on my Nexus 5 didn't.

All memory is subject to corruption...even internal memory. I am sure it happens on SD, but the fact that it has never happened on any of the many phones I have owned leads me to believe it is not common.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast