Another iOS defector with transition questions

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
After two generations of iPhones, I've decided to branch out and try something new.

I've been spending quite a bit of time reading up on the important steps in migrating to an Andriod platform and various tips to get the most from a phone running the OS, but one thing I'm still not very clear on: backing up and restoring.

From what I understand, unlike iOS products there is no common way to do a full backup of the device like what is offered in iTunes. The biggest things I'm worried about backing up are my contacts and my app library. SMS texts, call history, and app data is nice, but not necessary. I don't plan on having to do a restore very often, but every once in a while I like to do a factory reset to clear up odd issues and then load my data back.

What are my options? What all does Google save for me? I'm assuming my app library is saved in Google Play (but not app data) my mail and contacts go off to GMail. Correct? Pictures and music go off to the SD card for safe keeping. Is going with an option like Helium or GCloud an easier 1-stop solution similar to what iTunes provides?

Thanks in advance for the insight. I'm trying to keep the discussion platform agnostic since I've not decided on a phone yet. I'm still waffling between the Galaxy S5, HTC M8, and LG G3.

sixstringer23

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Google backs up all the necessities quite well. Like you said contacts will be saved, all your applications will be up for download once again in the play store(obviously not the data), music is from the play store so I believe you will have to download your music again(correct me if I'm wrong), pictures can be emailed to yourself if you don't have an sd card, same with sms messages. No worries if anything to your device happens Google automatically backs up randomly.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Google backs up all the necessities quite well. Like you said contacts will be saved, all your applications will be up for download once again in the play store(obviously not the data), music is from the play store so I believe you will have to download your music again(correct me if I'm wrong), pictures can be emailed to yourself if you don't have an sd card, same with sms messages. No worries if anything to your device happens Google automatically backs up randomly.

This is not true, that setting only backs up app data. After a reset you still need to manually download all your apps again. There is no backup service provided by Google that rivals the backup system Apple provides for iOS. Some manufacturers provide something close but it is not a Google service.

OP, for your contacts I recommend you enter your contacts into Gmail or something like that. That way they will always be there. You will never have to transfer them to new phones. All you will need to do is sync contacts with your Google account on any device you use and your contacts will automatically appear on the new device. If you want a 1-stop backup like Apple provides you need third party software.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you have the proper setting enabled, Google will automatically restore your phone to the last point that it communicated with the backup server. (I think it checks in about once per week)

Specific app data depends. Apps from Google will have your data saved. Games that you connect to either G+ or Facebook will most likely have your progress saved. If you set up your contacts to be saved on Google, those will be restored.

Pictures can be backed up to Google Photos through G+, and music will depend if you upload it to Google Play Music. If you do that you can stream your music without downloading to your device. Pictures can be viewed and shared through G+.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used both, and while ios is better at native backup and restore especially home screen and settings , as stated above, Google Apps will auto download automatically and restore for the most part.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is not true, that setting only backs up app data. After a reset you still need to manually download all your apps again. There is no backup service provided by Google that rivals the backup system Apple provides for iOS. Some manufacturers provide something close but it is not a Google service.

This is not true. As Golf said if you have it set to restore it will start doing so once you sign in.

A perfect example is listed in the picture below. My coworker got a new G3.. Turned it on.. Went through the setup and signed into his Google account... After that the wifi automatically signed in to our work wifi since the phone pulled the password from his Google account and as you can see his phone automatically started downloading apps again from the play store (top left icon).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1406214927943.jpg
    1406214927943.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 18

sixstringer23

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
This is not true. As Golf said if you have it set to restore it will start doing so once you sign in.

A perfect example is listed in the picture below. My coworker got a new G3.. Turned it on.. Went through the setup and signed into his Google account... After that the wifi automatically signed in to our work wifi since the phone pulled the password from his Google account and as you can see his phone automatically started downloading apps again from the play store (top left icon).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
Are you sure it wasn't just auto-updating apps? auto-update function in the play store comes default to update apps over wifi

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know for sure that apps will automatically reinstall upon setting up a new phone. The question for me has always been if every single app reinstalls, or only certain ones. And these aren't updates that I'm talking about.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I know for sure that apps will automatically reinstall upon setting up a new phone. The question for me has always been if every single app reinstalls, or only certain ones. And these aren't updates that I'm talking about.

Yep, exactly like Apple, Microsoft, c.s., Android (Google) seems to abuse every update to tighten the noose tighter.
So much for freedom and the user's interest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't really feel a noose tightening. I also think that by unchecking "Automatic Restore" in Settings>Backup & Reset, you can prevent these apps from reinstalling, but I'm not entirely sure, since I haven't tried it recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze