Best android phone for the 300ish price point

Asmello44

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about getting back into android game I love stock android or near stock. I am looking at nexus 5 and 6 or One plus One. Which is the best option?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I'd go for the Nexus 5. The 16 GB version is $349 on Google Play, while the 32 GB version is $399. It's still a great phone, with all of the usual advantages of Nexus devices. You could probably find refurbished units for cheaper. The OnePlus One sounds great on paper, but I'd be worried about support.

The 16 GB Moto G wth 4G LTE is another one to consider, for significantly cheaper.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus is a great phone, if you can get it and you don't have display issues.... I'd wait a generation before considering one.

Get a nexus 5 or Moto x

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about getting back into android game I love stock android or near stock. I am looking at nexus 5 and 6 or One plus One. Which is the best option?
The only thing comparable at that price point is a One-Plus. The Moto X is ok too if you don't mind the trade offs (Not pure vanilla Android, worse camera, slower CPU, lower res display, but better battery and touchless-control)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Right now, it's the Moto X at $299.99. You can buy one now and not go through the invite BS. Never settle.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The only thing comparable at that price point is a One-Plus. The Moto X is ok too if you don't mind the trade offs (Not pure vanilla Android, worse camera, slower CPU, lower res display, but better battery and touchless-control)

Of course this is just your opinion right Jeff? I may agree to some extent but on the hand the Moto X has been a very successful device for Moto and made many consumers very happy.

To each their own though :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Of course this is just your opinion right Jeff?
No. It does have a lower res display. It does have a slower CPU. This is not just my opinion.

As for the camera...well...I will let the readers judge for themselves.

compare.png

These are not my images...these are Android Central images taken under controlled conditions.

I may agree to some extent but on the hand the Moto X has been a very successful device for Moto and made many consumers very happy.

I agree. But everything I just said is true. Hardware-wise, you will be making compromises with the Moto X. Thats a fact, not merely my opinion.

Not saying the Moto X sucks. Just that it's hardware is not as good as the nexus 5 in many ways.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No. It does have a lower res display. It does have a slower CPU. This is not just my opinion.

As for the camera...well...I will let the readers judge for themselves.

View attachment 129998

These are not my images...these are Android Central images taken under controlled conditions.

I agree. But everything I just said is true. Hardware-wise, you will be making compromises with the Moto X. Thats a fact, not merely my opinion.

Not saying the Moto X sucks. Just that it's hardware is not as good as the nexus 5 in many ways.

That's much better. Thanks for at least backing up your statements with some more info and pictures. I personally don't own the Moto X and have only played with it in store on numerous occasions but as I said what you originally said is easier to digest when you put some more information behind it :)

Again to each their own, that is why having so many choices is awesome!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess it's a good thing specs aren't everything. Might have been true a couple of years ago, but Moto did a great job with optimization 😃

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Horacio55555

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
You know what.​
With a decent amount of market research, I too looked for phones in the same price range.
It became clear to me very quickly, that if I wanted new phone with better performance that the Galaxy Ace 2, that I would have to upgrade to something much, much better.

Factoring in that prices for mobile devices in New Zealand are almost double the price than what is overseas, I actually found the best device for $300 NZD would have to be the Galaxy Ace 3, HTC one (though I can't remember exactly what model it was), or the Nokia Lumia.

Out of these devices, as much as I love Samsung, I would probably have to go with the HTC One. The support that is still available for HTC one is a lot better than Samsung, getting help to solve issues with the device etc. The phone itself is a lot sturdier than the Galaxy ace 3, and has a lot less bloatware etc.
The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible. Granted my opinion is based on how they were to me 4-5 years ago.
Of course this is my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like rear end's, everybody has one. :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You know what.​
With a decent amount of market research, I too looked for phones in the same price range.
It became clear to me very quickly, that if I wanted new phone with better performance that the Galaxy Ace 2, that I would have to upgrade to something much, much better.

Factoring in that prices for mobile devices in New Zealand are almost double the price than what is overseas, I actually found the best device for $300 NZD would have to be the Galaxy Ace 3, HTC one (though I can't remember exactly what model it was), or the Nokia Lumia.

Out of these devices, as much as I love Samsung, I would probably have to go with the HTC One. The support that is still available for HTC one is a lot better than Samsung, getting help to solve issues with the device etc. The phone itself is a lot sturdier than the Galaxy ace 3, and has a lot less bloatware etc.
The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible. Granted my opinion is based on how they were to me 4-5 years ago.
Of course this is my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like rear end's, everybody has one. :D

The HTC One is the only one of those that was ever a flagship. Even barring software support, it is a far better phone.

You are correct about Moto. They are far better now than they were even 2 years ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That's much better. Thanks for at least backing up your statements with some more info and pictures. I personally don't own the Moto X and have only played with it in store on numerous occasions but as I said what you originally said is easier to digest when you put some more information behind it :)
I have recommended the Moto X to people before. If I was on Verizon still I'd probably have bought one. I could probably live with everything except the camera...I've gotten really dependent on my smartphone camera.

The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible.
Yeah, that was all true before the Moto X...but the Moto X broke that trend. And it looks like for good...everything they have produced since then has been equally awesome.

The last good Moto phone before the Moto X was the Droid 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If I were you, I'd go for the Nexus 5. The 16 GB version is $349 on Google Play, while the 32 GB version is $399. It's still a great phone, with all of the usual advantages of Nexus devices. You could probably find refurbished units for cheaper. The OnePlus One sounds great on paper, but I'd be worried about support.

The 16 GB Moto G wth 4G LTE is another one to consider, for significantly cheaper.

Agreed..

Posted from Google Nexus 5

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
to each their own, that is why having so many choices is awesome!

And why iPhone is not.

so the OPO seems like its out then?

If you want a faster processor and higher res imaging: yes, it's out.
If you're OK with the processor and less res, however, you may have to face the next 2 problems: 1) where to physically get one, and 2) at or around the OPO RMSP of US$ 299...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol