Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By steelrain82
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best android phone for the 300ish price point

I am thinking about getting back into android game I love stock android or near stock. I am looking at nexus 5 and 6 or One plus One. Which is the best option?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Best android phone for the 300ish price point

If I were you, I'd go for the Nexus 5. The 16 GB version is $349 on Google Play, while the 32 GB version is $399. It's still a great phone, with all of the usual advantages of Nexus devices. You could probably find refurbished units for cheaper. The OnePlus One sounds great on paper, but I'd be worried about support.

The 16 GB Moto G wth 4G LTE is another one to consider, for significantly cheaper.
    srkmagnus and LightaDroid like this.

The OnePlus is a great phone, if you can get it and you don't have display issues.... I'd wait a generation before considering one.

Get a nexus 5 or Moto x

Moto X.

thejesse likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Asmello44 View Post
    Best android phone for the 300ish price point
    300 Pounds? 300 €uros? 300 Dollars? 300 Yen? 300 Yuan?
    The world is a lot bigger than just the US, you know.

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

The Moto X or Nexus 5

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I am thinking about getting back into android game I love stock android or near stock. I am looking at nexus 5 and 6 or One plus One. Which is the best option?
    The only thing comparable at that price point is a One-Plus. The Moto X is ok too if you don't mind the trade offs (Not pure vanilla Android, worse camera, slower CPU, lower res display, but better battery and touchless-control)
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

Right now, it's the Moto X at $299.99. You can buy one now and not go through the invite BS. Never settle.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    The only thing comparable at that price point is a One-Plus. The Moto X is ok too if you don't mind the trade offs (Not pure vanilla Android, worse camera, slower CPU, lower res display, but better battery and touchless-control)
    Of course this is just your opinion right Jeff? I may agree to some extent but on the hand the Moto X has been a very successful device for Moto and made many consumers very happy.

To each their own though

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Of course this is just your opinion right Jeff?
    No. It does have a lower res display. It does have a slower CPU. This is not just my opinion.

As for the camera...well...I will let the readers judge for themselves.

Best android phone for the 300ish price point-compare.png

These are not my images...these are Android Central images taken under controlled conditions.

I may agree to some extent but on the hand the Moto X has been a very successful device for Moto and made many consumers very happy.
    I agree. But everything I just said is true. Hardware-wise, you will be making compromises with the Moto X. Thats a fact, not merely my opinion.

Not saying the Moto X sucks. Just that it's hardware is not as good as the nexus 5 in many ways.

No. It does have a lower res display. It does have a slower CPU. This is not just my opinion.

As for the camera...well...I will let the readers judge for themselves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	129998

These are not my images...these are Android Central images taken under controlled conditions.

I agree. But everything I just said is true. Hardware-wise, you will be making compromises with the Moto X. Thats a fact, not merely my opinion.

Not saying the Moto X sucks. Just that it's hardware is not as good as the nexus 5 in many ways.
    That's much better. Thanks for at least backing up your statements with some more info and pictures. I personally don't own the Moto X and have only played with it in store on numerous occasions but as I said what you originally said is easier to digest when you put some more information behind it

Again to each their own, that is why having so many choices is awesome!
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I guess it's a good thing specs aren't everything. Might have been true a couple of years ago, but Moto did a great job with optimization 😃

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Moto or nexus 5

Talking Re: Best android phone for the 300ish price point

You know what.
    With a decent amount of market research, I too looked for phones in the same price range.
    It became clear to me very quickly, that if I wanted new phone with better performance that the Galaxy Ace 2, that I would have to upgrade to something much, much better.

Factoring in that prices for mobile devices in New Zealand are almost double the price than what is overseas, I actually found the best device for $300 NZD would have to be the Galaxy Ace 3, HTC one (though I can't remember exactly what model it was), or the Nokia Lumia.

Out of these devices, as much as I love Samsung, I would probably have to go with the HTC One. The support that is still available for HTC one is a lot better than Samsung, getting help to solve issues with the device etc. The phone itself is a lot sturdier than the Galaxy ace 3, and has a lot less bloatware etc.
    The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible. Granted my opinion is based on how they were to me 4-5 years ago.
    Of course this is my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like rear end's, everybody has one.

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Horacio55555 View Post
    You know what.
    With a decent amount of market research, I too looked for phones in the same price range.
    It became clear to me very quickly, that if I wanted new phone with better performance that the Galaxy Ace 2, that I would have to upgrade to something much, much better.

Factoring in that prices for mobile devices in New Zealand are almost double the price than what is overseas, I actually found the best device for $300 NZD would have to be the Galaxy Ace 3, HTC one (though I can't remember exactly what model it was), or the Nokia Lumia.

Out of these devices, as much as I love Samsung, I would probably have to go with the HTC One. The support that is still available for HTC one is a lot better than Samsung, getting help to solve issues with the device etc. The phone itself is a lot sturdier than the Galaxy ace 3, and has a lot less bloatware etc.
    The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible. Granted my opinion is based on how they were to me 4-5 years ago.
    Of course this is my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like rear end's, everybody has one.
    The HTC One is the only one of those that was ever a flagship. Even barring software support, it is a far better phone.

You are correct about Moto. They are far better now than they were even 2 years ago.

Thanked by:
    Horacio55555 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts
    ROM

That's much better. Thanks for at least backing up your statements with some more info and pictures. I personally don't own the Moto X and have only played with it in store on numerous occasions but as I said what you originally said is easier to digest when you put some more information behind it
    I have recommended the Moto X to people before. If I was on Verizon still I'd probably have bought one. I could probably live with everything except the camera...I've gotten really dependent on my smartphone camera.

Global Posts
    2,765 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Horacio55555 View Post
    The Moto X is one I never even considered. Mostly because the experience that I have had with Motorolla in the past has always been negative, bad performance, and support was terrible.
    Yeah, that was all true before the Moto X...but the Moto X broke that trend. And it looks like for good...everything they have produced since then has been equally awesome.

The last good Moto phone before the Moto X was the Droid 1.

I've gotten really dependent on my smartphone camera.
    I agree completely there about consumers becoming more dependent on their smartphones as their daily shooter.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    If I were you, I'd go for the Nexus 5. The 16 GB version is $349 on Google Play, while the 32 GB version is $399. It's still a great phone, with all of the usual advantages of Nexus devices. You could probably find refurbished units for cheaper. The OnePlus One sounds great on paper, but I'd be worried about support.

The 16 GB Moto G wth 4G LTE is another one to consider, for significantly cheaper.
    Agreed..

Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Indoler View Post
    300 Pounds? 300 €uros? 300 Dollars? 300 Yen? 300 Yuan?
    The world is a lot bigger than just the US, you know.
    thanks
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

so the OPO seems like its out then?
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

to each their own, that is why having so many choices is awesome!
    And why iPhone is not.
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

so the OPO seems like its out then?
    If you want a faster processor and higher res imaging: yes, it's out.
    If you're OK with the processor and less res, however, you may have to face the next 2 problems: 1) where to physically get one, and 2) at or around the OPO RMSP of US$ 299...