Battery Life News

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
From USA TODAY

Stanford breakthrough could triple battery life

Annoyed by how often your cellphone needs recharging? Stanford researchers say they've made a major step toward the "holy grail" of energy storage — a pure lithium battery. A team that includes former Energy secretary Steven Chu says it's building a lithium anode battery that might give electric vehicles a 300-mile driving range and triple a cellphone's juice. Stanford professor Yi Cui says it will likely take three to five years, though, to bring the product to market. Their work is partly of an intensifying push to build a better battery — not only for portable electronics but also for storing solar and wind power for times when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow. Universities, start-ups and major companies are working with new materials, such as vanadium, or tweaking the lithium-ion battery that Sony introduced more than 20 years ago.

Stanford breakthrough might triple battery life

Get USA TODAY on your mobile device:
USATODAY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's going to be a longtime before we see that. But definitely something to look forward to in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
We've had reports of this for a few years now. There's always a "breakthrough" but they are never viable because of the cost or availability of the material/method used.
I think I'll hold off on getting excited until one of them is actually implemented into a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87