Google and T-Mobile- Very Poor Choice

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I think they went with Tmobile because Google wants an Apple like control over their phones and software and since Tmobile is the smallest of the big four carriers, it would be most likely to give Google that level of control in order to achieve that Apple level of success. Sure their service may not be as widespread as Verizon but Tmobile was supplied with the same amount of cash as Verizon and At&t, it too would have widespread coverage.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Because T-Mobile is just the US based branch of Deutsche Telekom, an industry giant that has a proven partnership with Android. You don't think Google is only going to offer it to the US do you? The move makes perfect sense. Oh, that and HSDPA in the US market to run it on.

Google's not Apple. If they can slam Tmo's network with 3 million phones, they'll happily pay to beef it up or buy TMO outright. Exposure made Sergey and Co. filthy stinking rich. They know it's value. The X-million MS/Verizon deal may end up looking like peanuts after Google worms their way into the telecom industry ;)

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I've been on VZ for years and due to travel for work i will not change. It is my understanding that Android has always had a strong relationship with Tmobile and if I'm not mistaken they were the first to have an android phone. Sounds logical to me that Google would show some loyalty to them and as said above allow them to grow with Google.
If only one carrier was allowed to sale all the cool new phones, there would be no competition and therefore only one option. If the phone is that good and the coverage gets better they will gain market share...

Shinsei

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Like dbhill says, the thing we tend to forget on this side of the ocean is just how big "T-Mobile" is in Europe. Deutsche Telekom is -huge-.

It's very much in Google's interests to have Android phones on any carrier who'll carry them. HTC is rolling in cash as a result of Android where three years ago, they were barely staying afloat. Android's market share is making a pretty good dent in the US industry given that it's only been available for about a year and I'd expect as app developers get on board, the quality and quantity of available apps will rival the iPhone's within a year or two.

The tricky part, of course, is that Apple has what... 3 SKUs for the iPhone currently available, with an 8GB 3GS rumored to be on the way? iPhone development is technically easier because of the limited hardware support needed, whereas Android suffers from a wide array of different hardware models and a huge discrepancy in which version(s) of the OS are available. It's damn near unconscionable that there are still double digit numbers of Android users stuck on 1.5.

T-Mobile is a fine carrier depending on where you live. I'm in the Twin Cities, MN and their 3G coverage is a little spotty in places, but overall it's quite good. Their customer service is absolutely outstanding - I've had to call all of three times in three years and each time, they've been extremely friendly, helpful and willing to go above and beyond to make sure my questions were answered and issues resolved.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Also, you are forgetting that T-Mobile UK are merging with Orange UK in the very near future, assuming that the monopolies commission doesn't nix it first, thus giving (to the UK market at least) a bigger network that can play with the big boys like Vodafone, O2, and 3 (although I still don't count 3 as being one of the big boys yet).

I do not know how that affects T-Mobile and Orange across mainland Europe or the States. Maybe the merger will also happen in the EU and the US, maybe it won't, but it does look interesting for the UK market at least.

In my opinion such a merger would be good because T-Mobile can be a little spotty out in the boonies of Dorset (I was visiting my grandparents in Blanford just before Christmas and I got no coverage at their place whatsoever), so hopefully by merging with Orange we will get better coverage.

And yeah, T-Mobile might be getting the Nexus first, but sooner or later the likes of O2 and Vodafone/Vodacon will get it as well. Google would be fools not to release it to other carriers.

Phil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12