LG G3 or Galaxy S5?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I have been eyeing returning to android for a while now for my phone. While WWDC has shown alot of improvements and advancements for ios, I just think I want more options and more flexibility in my smartphone (I still love my ipad and I even maybe plan on buying a macbook one day, so Its not that I dont like apple stuff.)

Right now these two phones seem to be the best options outside of the M8, but the lackluster camera puts me off of it I think. its not that im a big photographer, but i would still like a good or great camera if I need it. and I one day want to get into photography more.

as far as i can tell the biggest problems with these two phones is that on the G3 the display, while it looks great, suffers from contrast and brightness issues. also, I hear that the extra display resolution causes slowdown and more battery drain than comparative phones. Is this true?

With the GS5, the biggest issues I hear is its lack of onboard storage space and that touchwiz still isnt the most lag free UI out there, though its been improved. Also, im kinda iffy on samsung because they seem to be wanting to diverge from google and I really dont want any part of that possible future. Is this true? do you think Samsung is pulling away from google and is it a issue?

so, what say you guys?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a G3 or an S5, but my wife just got an M8. It's a great phone, and honestly, if you don't consider yourself a big photographer, the camera is going to be just fine for you. So if the M8 is otherwise the most attractive phone for you, go for it.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a G3 or an S5, but my wife just got an M8. It's a great phone, and honestly, if you don't consider yourself a big photographer, the camera is going to be just fine for you. So if the M8 is otherwise the most attractive phone for you, go for it.

Well, my only complaint with the M8 was the camera , so maybe it is best for me. Honestly, I just don't take many pictures.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing the screen causes more problems than it's worth though with the g3. I read a anandtech review that basically stated the phone throttles a lot due to pushing so many pixels, which could be a issue for games.

Other than that the G3 seemed almost perfect.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If I had to get a phone NOW, I'd be in a similar predicament to you. Lots of great devices, but really only 3 Id consider. And frankly without some "hands on" time, my choice is just based on reading reviews. My current device is an S4

HTC One M8 - concerns about slippery metal finish and iffy camera. A possibility, yes. I'm not HUGE into photography, but most of my shooting is in ok to great light, where the M8 seems to fall apart. However Sense would be really nice. Tied for 3rd place.

Galaxy Note3 - Other then the screen size and the S-pen, not an upgrade, except that they already started to tone down TouchWiz. Tied for 3rd

Galaxy S5 - a Bigger upgrade over the S4 I have and the Note3, but still pretty much more of the same. If TouchWiz was more "modular" (allowing the base to be pre-installed,but other features installed or uninstalled - not just disabled, or root and uninstall - would be up to the consumer) would be nice. Probably would be 2nd place.

LG G3 - probably first place, even if - heck maybe even more so - the screen was a 1080p. I'd be concerned about the screen auto sharpening and stuff, and hope they fix it and the throttling issue in a patch. The camera sounds pretty good though and overall I'm plenty happy with the stock camera app on my S4 (I just wish it could handle macro shots better).

So yeah, without some hands on time, I'd probably lean slightly towards the G3 over the S5 - but without some hands-on time, it would be difficult to tell which one I'd take home. Again, hypothetically speaking if I needed a phone NOW. If I Could afford to wait I'd hold out a couple months to see what other devices come up in Fall.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Between them both I'd take the LG G3. I hate phones with bloatware though to be honest. :p I'd personally pass on em both in the end though.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I want the LG but the screen issues (overheating and shutdowns) and the fact that many apps still don't support the new screen has me leaning towards the S5.

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking the same coming from a person that had the LG G2 and the s4 I like both but if I had to pick one would he the G3 honestly I hate touch wiz every time I bought a galaxy phone I just rooted it to cynamod

Posted via Android Central App

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So I kinda put off of the G3 now . I used it for a bit in a best but , and while I like the feel of the phone, the hitching was noticeable to me in the home screen and apps selector. And I hear that when taxed it is noticeably slower.

So now I'm actually looking at the M8, which looks like it ticks all the boxes I look for in a phone (screen,battery,UI,and update support) I don't really take photos, so I don't think the camera will be a deal breaker for me personally. But at the same time, it would be nice to have at least a good camera in the rate instances I need it. But it doesn't trump my other needs of a phone. I use it far more as a personal computer than a camera.

the S5 I like that it has a replaceable battery and that it has a larger accessory ecosyestem. And the better camera is cool . But I don't like that it only has 16gb on board storage , I don't like it's massive barrage of features , and I don't like the UI as much as sense. but samsungs also in better financial health than HTC, so that's a plus maybe.

So honestly, seems like is like the m8 more, but places I trust are suggesting the S5. So I don't know . Heck, I don't even know if I wanna ditch iOS or not. I'm still deciding on that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What places that you trust are those? You mean tech sites, or stores? I would bet that many stores purposely push Samsung because they have incentives. It's an excellent phone, don't get me wrong--it's just that store reps will usually not give you a totally unbiased view.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
well...i think the 2k screen is just waaay too much for a smartphone and we wont really feel the difference from a full hd screen!

also 3GB of ram is not necessary for the time being, i mean, we talking about smartphones and not PCs lol

the G3 is the result of exageration in a phone imo!

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What places that you trust are those? You mean tech sites, or stores? I would bet that many stores purposely push Samsung because they have incentives. It's an excellent phone, don't get me wrong--it's just that store reps will usually not give you a totally unbiased view.

Nah, I meant tech sites. Like wirecutter.com

I might give the G3 another shot. I'll play with it a bit more and see if I really notice that lag. I only used it for like 5 minutes the other day. Some say its noticeable, some say it's not. And it's hard to tell with web browsing on demo units because there wifi could suck. And maybe there's a bunch of background stuff going that causes slowdown.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Is the throttling/sharpening something they could even fix with a patch? I may just wait to see if they do fix that.

The sharpening would definitely need some sort of patch from LG. I'm assuming it's down to the actual display driver software that's applying the effects many are seeing.

My only issue with the display is the auto screen dimming. It can be a bit annoying when in the middle of an app.

I'd highly recommend that you give the g3 an extended trial at a store to see if any of these above issues bother you.

Netfuel

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Since you're this close, why not wait for the release of the new iPhone 6, and the Note 4? I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but I want to wait and see how the new phone(s) from Apple look and feel.

I just got the G3 for my wife a few days ago, and I'll be honest, the thing is just beautiful. It's still on my list as possibilities too, once I'm ready for my new driver. I haven't noticed any lag to speak of with hers, even when it was downloading all her old apps onto the new G3, it was still super snappy and responsive. And the bezels....oh my God, the bezels are just fantastic. Really goes a long way in helping the phone not feel as big as it is, with that 5.5" screen.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante