Current phones with the longest shelf life?

Asmello44

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Which phone currently out has the longest shelf life? With the manufacturer support taken into account/software updates which will stay relevant the longest?

Android only

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Which phone currently out has the longest shelf life? With the manufacturer support taken into account/software updates which will stay relevant the longest?

Android only
I would say the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3 and the Nexus 5 (As far as OS updates). Of course this is my opinion.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Android only

Currently out? The SGN3.
But the SGN4 will be out in September.
Stealing the iPhone 6's thunder. :)

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Manufacturer support? iPhone? LOL

If I had to pick one that meets OP's request. Google nexus 5.

Pro S5

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nexus.

Samsung and Moto have been surprisingly good with updates though. The ancient GS3 actually got kitkat.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Manufacturer support? iPhone? LOL

Actually, not. Older iPhone's are unceremoniously dumped off the supported list after a few years. This is a problem, because Apple integrates a lot of stuff into the OS that you can just get via apps on Google, like Email and Maps. You can actually use Gmail (and, as far as I know, any Google services) on devices running OS versions as old as Froyo.

Aside from that, newer OS versions usually slow down older iOS devices even when they are supported.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd say either the Galaxy S5, LG G3, or the HTC One M8 as they are the most recent wave of phones and will be considered great until the next wave comes, and even then they will still be good

In terms of software updates, the nexus of course would be best, but I think the three phones I listed above will be decent with updates

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP meant "Which phone currently out has the longest shelf life? Unmodified!"

In that case, I still say Nexus devices. I think the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus supports were stopped due more to technological constraints. If I remember correctly the Nexus S lacks required space to push the Jelly Bean OTA updates which is why it didn't get it. The Galaxy Nexus was becoming slow and TI stopped supporting OMAP for mobile, I don't agree with that excuse by Google though. With the Nexus 4, it is still fast and they are still working with Qualcomm, so I think it will get Android L and further support life than previous Nexus. Even the Nexus 7 2012 is still being supported.