Kopi microUSB cable review, and unscientific comparison of microUSB cables.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So I bought this Kopi 20AWG 2.1A microUSB cable and excited about the potential improved charging speed, I wondered how much it charges faster than other cables so I decided to do a comparison.

I used a battery monitor app on my phone to monitor how fast each brand of cable charges. Here is the setup:
-Phone: OnePlus, 3,100mAh battery
-Charger: OnePlus 2A charger
-Monitor app: Battery Monitor Widget
-Contestants: Motorola Moto X cable, OnePlus cable

What I do is charge the phone using each individual cables starting from 1 - 2% to 99 - 100% battery life, then using the result to calculate a rough estimate of the average charging rate. I try to use the phone very little while charging. This is not meant to be precise or scientific.

cables.jpg

Here are the results:
(See attached images for more details for each cables).

Kopi 2.1A 20AWG cable:
Average current: Trial 1: ~1,754mA per hour, Trial 2: ~1,690mA per hour
Total charging time (for 3,100mAh): Trial 1: ~106min, Trial 2: ~110min

OnePlus cable:
Average current: ~1,563mA per hour
Total charging time (for 3,100mAh): ~119min

Moto X cable:
Average current: ~1,500mA per hour
Total charging time (for 3,100mAh): ~120min

Samsung OEM cable
Average current: ~388mA per hour
Total charging time (for 3,100mAh): 7-8 hours? (!)

-------------
Notes:
-The average mAh I listed are a rough estimates for the average current over a period of time, it is not the optimal amount that the phone is capable of pulling in. I will be buying a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+current+monitor&x=0&y=0&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3818143]USB current monitor[/URL] to confirm that.
-Each different devices pull currents at a different rate, I think the OnePlus is pretty impressive to pull almost a maximum of 2A per hour according to the Battery Monitor Widget app.
-Cable length also influence the charging rate, although I do not take it into account. The Kopi is actually the longer of the bunch.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my purchase of the Kopi cable. I also like the fact that the microUSB connector clamp well, so there is less chance of disconnection while transferring data. I find some phones are very picky with microUSB cables when it come to data transferring, such as the Moto X and OnePlus, a cheap one might get disconnected just from slightly moving the phone while it's connected, the Kopi cable does a good job staying secure.

The Moto X and OnePlus cables are also pretty good, and you're not missing out much if you don't want to shell out money for the Kopi. In contrast, the Samsung OEM cable is extremely slow, I actually gave up half way because it took so long. It truly highlight the difference between a quality cable vs cheap one. Even though it is a very short cable at 3ft couldn't help being extremely slow at charging, even connected to the 2A charger.

*I am not affiliated with Kopi.

Attachments

• battery_kopi1.jpg
    battery_kopi1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 6
  • battery_kopi2.jpg
    battery_kopi2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
  • battery_motox.jpg
    battery_motox.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 8
  • battery_opo.jpg