Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Not sure which phone to get...

I'm finally moving into the world of smartphones. I want an android, obviously. I'm going no-contract, so it also needs to be unlocked GSM.

I don't need a super fancy phone. I'm obviously paying the full price of the phone, so I'd like to keep it to $250ish. I want access to decent protective cases and the like. A good camera is a nice bonus, but not something I'll pay extra for. I want at east 32GB of storage (external is okay). I'm not really into the super graphics-heavy games, but I do like Plague Inc and I stream video a lot.

I'm looking at the Moto G, but I'm wondering if the Moto E will be adequate. I also like the Blu Life One but I'm a bit concerned about buying from a less well-known company. I also can't figure out what size sim card it takes.

Thanks!

Default Re: Not sure which phone to get...

Welcome to Android Central! Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Moto E, 1st gen Moto G, and 2nd gen Moto G (with 4G LTE): Motorola Moto E vs Motorola Moto G vs Motorola Moto G LTE - Phone specs comparison

If I were you, I'd go with the 16 GB 1st gen Moto G. Performance will be better than the E. Other downsides of the E include low internal storage (only 4 GB, which will be important if you plan on installing a lot of apps--not just games) and no HD video recording. The Moto G 4G LTE would be ideal, since it can access LTE for faster mobile internet, and it also has an external SD slot, but it only has 8 GB of internal storage--which is certainly better than 4, but you could still find yourself running out of room for apps, compared to a 16 GB phone.

Remember that the internal storage is key for app installation--you can't install apps onto an external SD card. See this guide for more info: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

I'd avoid the Blu phones altogether. They may be cheap, but support may be questionable.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm pretty new to androids (I have an 4th gen ipod touch I'm less than enchanted with) so thanks for that information! I have a lot of music/audiobooks so I mostly need room for those. I also like to have a movie or a tv show on hand if I'm stuck somewhere without wifi. I have a 32 gb ipod, and there's 15.9 gb available. Though now I'm looking, I honestly don't use most of the apps.

I'm not by any means set on a motorola, so if there are other good phones in my price range please let me know!

It's also important to know if you're looking to purchase an unlocked phone outright and then take it to whichever wireless service you prefer (which is what you can do with the Moto G if you buy it directly from Motorola), or if you're ok with the traditionally subsidized phones sold through the wireless stores (i.e., the $200 flagship phone that requires a 2 year contract).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It needs to be unlocked. I don't want to be locked into a contract I can't afford. I'd prefer GSM.

ETA: I'm also willing to spend a bit more than $250 to get a really good phone. I just found the Huawei Ascend Mate 2. It only has 241 ppi, which is lower than the Moto G, but is it going to noticeably impact my viewing?

Buy the unlocked phone you like the most. I think that explains everything.

Consider the Moto X, then. Moto X by Motorola
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I love the Moto G for a cheaper device! I say take a look at the G.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Consider the Moto X, then. Moto X by Motorola
    Yeah, if you can cough up a little bit more money, I would consider the moto x, and if you can give up even more money, you could consider the nexus 5

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The Moto X is absolutely beautiful, but it is a little more than I'm willing to spend. The Moto G sounds like a great phone, and I think I'll get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Acantha View Post
    The Moto X is absolutely beautiful, but it is a little more than I'm willing to spend. The Moto G sounds like a great phone, and I think I'll get that.
    Enjoy it

You can also consider phones from Xiomi... Their new mi4 offerd great specs for a small price. Worth checking it out.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by SKDroid1234 View Post
    You can also consider phones from Xiomi... Their new mi4 offerd great specs for a small price. Worth checking it out.
    I was all set on a phone, now I'm tempted by another!

If u can manage to get an invite the OnePlus One is also a great phone. 16 gb version is cheapet though I would prefer 64gb.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

If u can manage to get an invite the OnePlus One is also a great phone. 16 gb version is cheapet though I would prefer 64gb.
    Unless you're offering, then no.

I'm still interested in the Xiaomi phones. Do any US members have experience with them?

Actually looks pretty nice

Posted via Android Central App
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I'm finally moving into the world of smartphones. I want an android, obviously. I'm going no-contract, so it also needs to be unlocked GSM.

I don't need a super fancy phone. I'm obviously paying the full price of the phone, so I'd like to keep it to $250ish. I want access to decent protective cases and the like. A good camera is a nice bonus, but not something I'll pay extra for. I want at east 32GB of storage (external is okay). I'm not really into the super graphics-heavy games, but I do like Plague Inc and I stream video a lot.

I'm looking at the Moto G, but I'm wondering if the Moto E will be adequate. I also like the Blu Life One but I'm a bit concerned about buying from a less well-known company. I also can't figure out what size sim card it takes.
    In that price range I would probably get a Moto G LTE (the only "modern" Moto Phone to have SD support). But for $50 more you could get a Nexus 5 which is significantly better.

But the Moto G is a great phone, especially if you are not married to a good camera. I would not go to the Moto E unless you are on an extremely tight budget.
    cgardnervt likes this.

Lg g2 then battery life amazing

Moto G is a good choice go for it
    cgardnervt likes this.

Moto e with a 32GB all the way. it have stock ota androif updates from google and very fast abd cheap only 129 and a 10$ 32GB sd card!

Have you looked at Nexus?

Fastest updates. Least Bloat. Most flexible for modding.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S

Do a little homework on different phones to make sure they have no major issues. After you decide what YOU find important( camera, screen size,etc) go to the store play around with the display phones, then disregard everything someone else tells you as a reason to get a phone and get the one YOU like.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    Do a little homework on different phones to make sure they have no major issues. After you decide what YOU find important( camera, screen size,etc) go to the store play around with the display phones, then disregard everything someone else tells you as a reason to get a phone and get the one YOU like.
    Yes, ignoring phone nerd advice is a great idea. Go buy that Samsung Galaxy Exhibit you've had your eye on. You totally will not regret it in 3 months, I promise.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

whatever you get, make sure it is 4G LTE capable.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    In that price range I would probably get a Moto G LTE (the only "modern" Moto Phone to have SD support). But for $50 more you could get a Nexus 5 which is significantly better.
    How long do you get out of a full battery charge on the Nexus 5? Of course it depends on your usage, but from what I have read, not a full day if you are actually using the phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast