Android Updates

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
After seeing Jerry's article on what phones may or may not get Android L, I wonder do you guys here ever are concerned how many phones lose out on updates? For me personally, knowing my phone us being left behind is not much of a shock, but as a tech enthusiast I know I will miss out on all the new features and possibly apps that come with Android L.

And to top it off devices such as the Kyocera Brigadier are more than likely to not get updated Android L. So how do you feel on the subject?

Also, don't just say buy a Nexus and be happy, a lot of people live on Verizon and Nexus is not an option.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the bigger reasons I root and flash custom ROMs if I can. However, even this solution is possible if one has a device that no one will build a ROM for.

Perhaps with Android One, this might be a step in the right direction?

With Android One, Google is poised to own the entire world | The Verge
My main reason for not rooting is that besides updates, there is no clear reason for me to do it, also add to the fact I am not that technical and there is a chance I can mess something up and there goes my main phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My main reason for not rooting is that besides updates, there is no clear reason for me to do it, also add to the fact I am not that technical and there is a chance I can mess something up and there goes my main phone.

Yes, you do miss out on updates. But, if you flash a custom ROM, chances are you will be further along in the version of Android.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you do miss out on updates. But, if you flash a custom ROM, chances are you will be further along in the version of Android.
True, but this goes back to my OP of the fact that some phones are left behind and I don't think it is about specs being "too old" anymore either. They are straight up being abandoned.

Granted the public at large probably does not care, but there are a good number who would at least like the option.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
And the root/ROM only works when someone develops something for said device.

Very true. And I think it is in the name of 'Planned Obsoleteness'....not that I agree with that mindset.
The thing is newer devices such as the Kyocera Brigadier, are more than likely bring left behind update wise, because they never update their phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox