Who is To Blame for giant phones?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Someone got a Gear watch as a gift, but it won't work with his Galaxy Mega because it required Android 4.3. So I'm installing CyanogenMod on it for him. I am not into big phones, but I have to say I like using the device for what it's worth (after Touchwiz is wiped out), even with the 720p screen. I wouldn't lug it around, but the 6.3" screen size is good as a mini tablet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
60 inch plasma in my living room.. I want bigger :x.

Well, there's a bit of a usage convergence between TVs and phones. They are quickly becoming a primary source of entertainment for a lot of people. People are watching movies, TV shows, Youtube, etc. The mobile phone has become a mobile entertainment center that happens to be able to make phone calls. That's the usage model that is driving these screen sizes up. Someone stuck on a commuter train, binge watching Boardwalk Empire might want a little bit more real estate.... watching video on an iPhone 5s blows.

meterf

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I've heard you just get used to a bigger screen and can't go back. Maybe it's true. Maybe it's not. But I like to try new phones/manufacturers so i'll give it a shot :)

Went from a 4.7-inch to a 6-inch, and my feeling was....there was no going back. Even a 5-inch looks too small now. The 6-inch is so much better for web, email, video, and literally everything except my pants' pocket.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Who do I have to blame for the lack of powerful smart phones under 5 inches? I have been fighting day and night from the little voice in the back of my head saying: "Get an iPhone". I love Android, I will be the first to admit, hell, I went through high school and now into college with an Android phone.

But in all that time, I always had an all around good device, I can't ever say I ever had an awful smartphone. But in all that time, the biggest smartphone I ever owned is the Moto X. And now that I am back on my RAZR M I realize now besides the Moto X there is absolutely zero widespread availability of a smartphone in the 4-4.7 range.

Why is that? Why is the smaller handset market getting ignored? Why do we have to settle for middle the road devices like the S5 mini or the One Mini 2? Why can't I have a phone just like the G3 in a smaller package?

And no, the answer is not "There is no demand for it", there is demand for it, they just haven't attempted it yet. How many people buy iPhones? How many of those people might have been swayed by a flagship Android device of the same size? I know I would have.

Why do I have to settle in saving up money to get a year old Moto X? Android has gained a lot in the past year, but I hope they don't lose people like me to other OS's.

Who do I blame for this injustice? OEMs? Carriers? Consumers?

Who's the blame for 60 inch televisions?

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much. A person can complain however much he wants, but if he gives his money to the manufacturer they're not going to listen to any complaints.

I continuously give my money to manufacturers smaller options Dinc 2, RAZR M, and the Moto X. But now it is the mass consumer messing it up.

Posted via the Android Central App

nbtthief

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I myself like small, simple screen phone back then (miss my old blackberry 8330). But with smartphone nowaday, if you using it pretty much for web browsing, watching movie or playing game. The bigger is the better, i use 4'7 inch screen, but i feel frustrated sometimes while playing game

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc